Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More than you ever wanted to know about WWII US Army barracks

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
That was very interesting, thanks for posting it. It is good to see that records are kept of the "little" things that were used during that time period.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
What I needed to learn about WWII vintage barracks I learned while cleaning them and living in em in 1976 at Fort Leonard Wood Missourii. Feh... brings back nightmares. Looking through the entire document it's amazing to see how liittle had changed between it's publication and my service. Cept for the boots, hats shoes and helmets nothing much was different.... amazing. Ohh and we no longer used the Springfield Rifle any more.

Worf

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I have stayed in barracks like these recently in a little town called Blackstone, VA. There is a little Army National Guard Base called Fort Pickett that is located there. It was built in WWII and it doesn't look like much has changed there since then. The barracks still look like they do in those documents. It is almost as though time has stood still for that place.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Those images are just like the barracks I lived in as a recruit at Parris Island in 1966. Fond memories . . . . (ha.)
This is just a good demonstration of how wars are won with logistics.

mdove

Familiar Face
TY. Brought back lots of memories. Design and construction that has stood the test of time. Lived in WWII barracks at Ft Lewis, WA, and Ft Polk, LA. We never had any beds down the center aisle....that was the DI's and was kept at a spit shine. Woe be to anyone other than the DI who got in the aisle. It is still that way at OCS...center aisle is the TAC's and you will not set foot in it. dherman, rookies talk about tactics, pros talk about logistics. All the beans and bullets in the world will not win a battle or a war if you cannot get them to the folks who need them.

Last edited:

mdove

Familiar Face
The new barracks at Fort Indiantown Gap are two man rooms, complete with own latrine. IMHO the two man rooms rob the soldiers of lots of opportunity for informal learning. There is a lot of informal learning that goes on in the barracks after hours sitting around bsing and talking about the events of the day. Lots of misconceptions get cleared up etc. I taught OCS and students would come to class the next day and ask about something discussed in the barracks and ask to have details cleared up. Think these two man rooms may also have fostered a false sense of modesty and towel dancing seen today.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The new barracks at Fort Indiantown Gap are two man rooms, complete with own latrine. IMHO the two man rooms rob the soldiers of lots of opportunity for informal learning. There is a lot of informal learning that goes on in the barracks after hours sitting around bsing and talking about the events of the day. Lots of misconceptions get cleared up etc. I taught OCS and students would come to class the next day and ask about something discussed in the barracks and ask to have details cleared up. Think these two man rooms may also have fostered a false sense of modesty and towel dancing seen today.

Yeap, I agree wholeheartedly. Communal living brings a sense of togetherness and comraderie. You learn a lot about a guy watching him 18 hours a day. Sleeping next to him, hearing his thoughts, dreams, worries and alike. You learned quick who you could count on, who you couldn't, who was honest, who bathed regularly and who snored. Wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.

Worf

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I had that same barracks at Ft. Knox ( you can see them in "Stripes"). Our 40 man platoon had a much tighter bond in that configuration.
When I went on to Platoon Leader, it was much easier to get the men to help and share with each other.
Damn shame they tore those down!

mdove

Familiar Face
When my state built a new military academy we were asked for our input. I stressed the barracks with common latrine, not two man rooms. They looked at me like I was a crazy perv. I explained why and they could see the benefit. I have since retired and do not know what was built, but do suspect it was the two man rooms with private baths. Gotta be pc and modest you know. Group cohesiveness, learning, et al. be damned.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I have stayed in barracks like these recently in a little town called Blackstone, VA. There is a little Army National Guard Base called Fort Pickett that is located there. It was built in WWII and it doesn't look like much has changed there since then. The barracks still look like they do in those documents. It is almost as though time has stood still for that place.

When I was in CAP, I did Search & Rescue School at Ft. Pickett. I stayed in the old barracks and I believe the pillows were WWII issue. Man they were hard. Enjoyed my time there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner