Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning dress

Lokar

A-List Customer
Frock coats demand better tailoring and a better body to look good, but if you have both of those, they're simply stunning.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Inspired by Mr. Huang, I had a go at making an ascot. Pretty pleased with the result:

sdc15317.jpg

The full process is documented on our blog.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Are morning trousers with reverse pleats OK for morning dress? I prefer the more traditional forward pleats but I cannot find any vintage ones in my size and bespoke is too expensive for me at the moment.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
There isn't really any reason why you shouldn't wear backward pleats. I find it very difficult to tell the difference under a waistcoat.

Incidentally, what is your size?

Charlie: I just want to make more and more ascots now.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I just wondered if it was a faux pas in the same way that wearing a belt with morning dress would be (even though this wouldn't necessarily be noticeable).

I'm a size 31" with a 32" inside leg. The problem is that morning trousers don't have cuffs which can be let out for the extra length, so all the vintage ones I have found are too short for me as a result.

Edward

Bartender
I just wondered if it was a faux pas in the same way that wearing a belt with morning dress would be (even though this wouldn't necessarily be noticeable).

I'm a size 31" with a 32" inside leg. The problem is that morning trousers don't have cuffs which can be let out for the extra length, so all the vintage ones I have found are too short for me as a result.

I have the same problem - I'm a touch shorter over all and a lot wider than your good self, but yes - 32" inside leg here too. I found a beautiful pair in a vintage shop in Glasgow last year. I don't claim expertise, but I would have thought early 40s, maybe late 30s. About 2" too short in the leg for me. Bah.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have the same problem - I'm a touch shorter over all and a lot wider than your good self, but yes - 32" inside leg here too. I found a beautiful pair in a vintage shop in Glasgow last year. I don't claim expertise, but I would have thought early 40s, maybe late 30s. About 2" too short in the leg for me. Bah.

The annoying thing is that if that was a 40s lounge suit there would usually be three to four inches of cuff which can be let out.

Salieri

One of the Regulars

I've tried to PM you but your inbox was full :(

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Whatever the direction of the pleats go, it is up to you. I prefer forward pleats as they show the crease more. In anycase, a good tailor could change the way they face.

As for 30/32 trousers, there are some on eBay that crop up. Look at the usual places like Hogspear and Style Service for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy