Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most versatile color and asking about Stetson hats

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I exchanged the black hat for a caribou color, or medium grey

Here is the black hat taken back

P3060318.jpg

Here is the new grey hat

P3100324-1.jpg

P3100323.jpg

P3100322.jpg

and arriving today is my panama bob diamante. I think the brim is a bit too wide considering that the Saxon is a 2 inch brim, but I understand that it to be the case since it is more of a sun hat. Anyway, the crown seems higher, but it is a nice hat. For some reason, many guys post pics of the inside crown and I will do as well

P3100320.jpg

P3100321.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Very nice! I really like the panama.

You need to head over to Covington and see Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters.
Mike did have one of Roberts panamas, [and man it looked sweet!] but you will have to get him to tell you that story.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I like that panama! There's still enough summer left to get some use out of it, too.

I like the Saxon, too & hope that you find it to be as versatile as we all said it would be. Where your local merchant has taken the time to educate you and help you find a hat, I think you made the right move in not returning the black one, just to buy online. Exchanging for a different color, that's one thing, but I'm glad you didn't take it back for a refund.

For your next hat, at a size 7 1/8, I'd agree that ebay would be worth a look. For those of us with, ahem, more generous melons, ebay is not so useful, but I see tons of ahts in the 7 to 7 1/4 range go through.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I think you did well. As mentioned, grey is more versatile with your wardrobe. Now, another shade of grey, and a second chance for black, too! :)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Memphis I think it's time to relax with your new hobby/obsession. I like the Caribou and you will become more accustomed to wider brims as you go. There will come a time shortly when you wish you had the black one back but that's the way it goes. You should (IMHO) start looking around the dwelling for more storage space, you're going to need it.;) :D
Tom D.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
I love the panama. I need to get one as our summertime approaches here. I somehow doubt I want to be wearing felts when the weather peaked in the mid 40C last summer. You made a good choice with the gray, my first lid was a medium gray.

BTW St Ignatz is right, Memphis. If you hadn't seen this picture in another thread, I've kindly borrowed it from Garret (haven't learned to link to posts yet!). Apparently, this is what newbies who get bitten by the hat bug have to look forward to. Breathe deeply and embrace it. ;)

*picture from Garret's post in "How many hats do you own?" thread

billysmom

One Too Many

*picture from Garret's post in "How many hats do you own?" thread[/QUOTE]​

Garret's closet looks just like a candy store to me! (And I've already sampled his wares ...... ;) )

Sue

tortswon

Practically Family
Sam, looks like two solid selections there. Both look good on you. Pretty soon you'll feel naked when you are not wearing a hat. Best, Sam

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Bogart, I had emailed Bob at panamabob's website, then before he answered, I bid on one of his ebay hats, the cheap UGLY hat, not knowing a thing but bidding because it was him and the hat was $23 (shipping on some hats runs that much and this included free shipping. Anyway, in our emails, he said he had a nicer hat then that, a bit more but worth the upgrade, and I paid him the extra and he sent that Diamante and I guess is putting the UGLY back up on ebay. So you can ask him what hat I got and see if he has another one. I got the leather sweatband instead of the cheaper one, and this hat feels just as nice as the $225 Borsalino hat I tried on, just a tad bit heavier but then the brim is bigger. Worn it twice

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Good grief! Lawyers everywhere.

Greetings to the fedora wearing lawyers of America (Torts & Memphis for a start) - from your counterparts in Queensland, Australia.

Neil

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
A tip of the hat to the noble profession

Many thanks Torts.
In this land of the divided profession I belong to the solicitors branch where I practice these days as an ethics lawyer (for the state Law Society) and law school lecturer.
For which reason I've been keeping a weather eye on the sad case of Alton Logan from Chicago - but that's way off topic for here.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
memphislawyer said:
Bogart, I had emailed Bob at panamabob's website, then before he answered, I bid on one of his ebay hats, the cheap UGLY hat, not knowing a thing but bidding because it was him and the hat was $23 (shipping on some hats runs that much and this included free shipping. Anyway, in our emails, he said he had a nicer hat then that, a bit more but worth the upgrade, and I paid him the extra and he sent that Diamante and I guess is putting the UGLY back up on ebay. So you can ask him what hat I got and see if he has another one. I got the leather sweatband instead of the cheaper one, and this hat feels just as nice as the $225 Borsalino hat I tried on, just a tad bit heavier but then the brim is bigger. Worn it twice

That might explain some of it. Maybe it's a higher level with the same block shape. I ordered mine off his website; no leather sweat (didn't expect one), and no real bow. I love it's simplicity, though, and toyed with ordering another... until I saw yours. :D Thanks.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
Both sides are well represented Sam. Many Police Officers too. Sorry, I usually try to avoid lawyer jokes.;)

I know, too easy. And, to confuse it more, I am also named Sam, just like the other lawyer here, lol. My practice is as a solo, and is general practice, and today, my daughter starts her second year of law school at the University of Memphis, and she is doing better than me in all respects in law school :) :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
Good grief! Lawyers everywhere.

Greetings to the fedora wearing lawyers of America (Torts & Memphis for a start) - from your counterparts in Queensland, Australia.

Neil

And welcome to you, too, Neil. Yep, there's a fair number of us here. Like memphislawyer, I've got a solo practice. Mostly divorces & criminal defense, with a smattering of other cases. I have to admit, one of the perks of being a lawyer for me is that I can wear my fedoras, carry my fountain pens and nobody ever thinks twice about it. That's not why I became a lawyer, but it is a nice side benefit.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
G'day Spats - and greetings from the legal profession in Queensland.
I'll need to remember that when I'm running my spiel to law students about the benefits of a career in the noble profession - you get to wear really cool hats!
I knew I loved this gig for a reason!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic