Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie 12-0 clock high

kojax

Practically Family
I Was Watching The Movie 12 0clock high Last night Great Movie Bye The Way. I Was Wondering The A2 Jackets They Were Wearing.Were They horside.You Can not tell. The Movie Is Black And White....

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
12 O'Clock High

No way of telling horse hide to cow hide (unless you DNA it), and that's even from handling it on the original jackets.

But I have a feeling that the jackets in that movie are originals (from what I remember) and therefore the A2's in all likelihood are horsehide.

Another good movie of that era to watch is THE WAR LOVER with Steve McQueen.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peck's A2 was made specially for him. It has two snaps below the zipper and and a top seamed collar! There are actually several post war two piece backed A2s in the picture, along with plenty of original A2s and B3s.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Lots of little goofs in that film...makes you wonder how, so soon after the war had ended, Hollywood still couldn't get critical major details such as that right. You could swing a dead cat and hit surplus A-2s left and right after the war. The gov't was giving them away by the warehouse load.

The TV series was even worse. Not only were the jackets obviously not A-2s, but some crazy insignia appeared on them, such as a huge U.S. flag on the shoulders.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think the main thing was not the unavailability of good uniforms, but that a culture of historical accuracy simply didn't exist in Hollywood at the time. You really don't see a serious interest in historical accuracy until the 1980s.

kojax

Practically Family
a2 jacket

i know the movie flying tigers. john waynes a2 flight jacket in the movie was way of to...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats