Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Props

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
20th Century Props-out of business

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/movies/18props.html

CLICK FOR A SLIDESHOW OF PROPS

“See that chair way back there? Claudette Colbert sat in that in ‘Cleopatra,’ the 1934 version.”

Studios started gutting their prop departments in the 1990s to free space on their lots. Mr. Schwartz’s inventory — at last count 93,752 items, ranging from teacups to a life-size submarine — includes the former holdings of 20th Century Fox, for instance. Walt Disney and Paramount have also jettisoned their props divisions. (Sony, Universal and Warner Brothers are the holdouts, and they’re open to outside clients.)

Mr. Schwartz said annual revenue was off by 30 percent last year; so far this year the figure is closer to 50 percent. He said he has been seeking a way to keep the collection together — via an investor or a sale to another prop company — but has so far come up short

Great American Group will liquidate the company’s inventory during the last week of July. The holdings are insured for about $8 million, but the value of many of the props is difficult to pin down because of the premium that memorabilia collectors will likely pay for better-known items.

Shirin

A-List Customer
How sad they're closing down! I see a film prop, a trunk, used in Titanic will be for sale on their website soon. And they do have some fantastic things on eBay.
dsc04845yi7.jpg

oldflagswanted

New in Town
1970 MGM Auction Photos ???

The Captain said:
In April of 1970 my wife and I spent several days attending the auction at MGM studios. I have a few pictures I shot (non-digital!) and would post them here if anyone is interested. Debbie Reynolds sat a few seats from us during the bidding process and acquired some nice pieces. Alas, most of the best stuff was financially out of our reach. The RED SLIPPERS from WIZARD OF OZ were a treat to see, as was a trench coat worn by CLARK GABLE in...I forget. Anyway, it was exciting and kind of sad to see everything "FOR SALE".
Looking for photos showing the Roman Army Standards sold at the
1970 MGM auction? These were listed in the Silver "Weaponry" catalog; Lot M-376 (2 standards, brass palm design), Lot M-379 (2 standards, roman), Lot M-522 (2 roman standards, palm and eagle design), Lot M-1149-1150 (2 brass standards, 84"), located on stages 7 and 8, 16th and 17th auction day, the afternoon and evening sessions on Monday 18 May and Tuesday 19 May, 1970. Sale of the standards was proceeded by the Roman swords and spears, then by the Roman Armor brest plates. To reply by direct email use
---> OldFlagsWanted (at) att.net
romemf.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
There was a cool Antiques Roadshow a few years back where the guy found one of the miniatures of the Nautilis sub from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (the James Mason one) which I think is Disney.

Yes it is Disney one of Peter Lorre's last films I believe.

I have a prop rock from somewhere, looks like the really thing but is as light as a sponge.

Story

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot