Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Props

Shirin

A-List Customer
Anybody know what happened to all the old movie props from the 1940s to 50s? Do you think they were auctioned off or sold or something? And where would you locate such treasures?
I read that Rosemary Clooney's blue dress for the sister act in White Christmas was picked up a Vintage clothing store or thrift store in California.

I have heard a number of stories as to props and clothing in Hollywood.

Some studios were and are quite frugal and tend to hold onto everything so that any items may be reused as needed.

Other studios would sell off items and clothing on a regular basis, to clear space.

Sometimes a star would be presented with an item or piece of clothing for their own collection.

As I understand Universal Studios is pretty tight with stuff, so when the time came to make "Young Frankenstein" nearly all of the original Frankenstein special effects electrical props were all still working and available for use. Costume wise I also heard that they tend to hold onto everything.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Before J Peterman went bust the first time, Mr. Peterman made a deal to buy up a large bunch of film costumes, props, etc. The plan was to reproduce them and sell them in the catalog. Cool eh? It was really just getting underway when the company's overly-fast expansion caused its downfall. There were copies of costumes from Titanic and Out of Africa in the catalog for awhile, and some stuff from The Natural.
The things that did sell (or that sold at the auction of the company assets) sometimes come to eBay, and seem to command high prices.

A lot of Hollywood's prop-firearms supply was the Stembridge collection, which was broken up and auctioned off piecemeal about 10-15 years ago.

Props that get put on display at Planet Hollywood tend to end up with pieces missing and removed. (The original at Costa Mesa and the one at Vegas had the Red October and USS Dallas models respectively from The Hunt For Red October*, and both had major structural pieces missing, ditto the Top Gun F-14 now hanging in the entryway in Vegas.) And even then, PH sometimes sells or auctions 'em off--I recall having read about one of their sales several years back.

*For fans of this movie, we have the model DSRV up here at the Undersea Warfare Museum in Keyport, not far from the Navy Yard in Bremerton.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
When the studio system was going strong, props and costumes were warehoused to be reused for future productions. After that system collapsed and the serious bean counters took over operations of the studios there was major downsizing and house cleaning. An unbelievable number of props, costumes, and back lot property was auctioned off, sold in bulk, or simply thrown out with the trash.

Debbie Reynolds and I believe Merv Griffiin spearheaded a campaign to preserve as much as possible. There was a guy (I can't remember his name) hired to help catalog and throw out much of the wardrobe of MGM or maybe Western Costume and he saved an enormous amount of historically important pieces like a pair or two of Dorthy's shoes from the Wizard of Oz and I think a gown from Gone with the Wind and much, much more.

Now most of the stuff that was saved is worth a fortune and in private collections. There are some ephemera dealers who specialize in that stuff and the big auction houses occasionally mount a sale of Hollywood props and costume. A very large one was recently held for Star Trek memorabilia.

Too bad we weren't around to dumpster dive in LA back in the 70's.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
The MGM auction ~ 1970

In April of 1970 my wife and I spent several days attending the auction at MGM studios. I have a few pictures I shot (non-digital!) and would post them here if anyone is interested. Debbie Reynolds sat a few seats from us during the bidding process and acquired some nice pieces. Alas, most of the best stuff was financially out of our reach. The RED SLIPPERS from WIZARD OF OZ were a treat to see, as was a trench coat worn by CLARK GABLE in...I forget. Anyway, it was exciting and kind of sad to see everything "FOR SALE".

Shirin

A-List Customer
Barrelhouse said:
Too bad we weren't around to dumpster dive in LA back in the 70's.

I've heard about that a long time ago from dad (think?). I wasn't even thought of at that time but I agree, what a shame they didn't realize the value of those items, or rather, what the value would become.

Shirin

A-List Customer
The Captain said:
In April of 1970 my wife and I spent several days attending the auction at MGM studios. I have a few pictures I shot (non-digital!) and would post them here if anyone is interested. Debbie Reynolds sat a few seats from us during the bidding process and acquired some nice pieces. Alas, most of the best stuff was financially out of our reach. The RED SLIPPERS from WIZARD OF OZ were a treat to see, as was a trench coat worn by CLARK GABLE in...I forget. Anyway, it was exciting and kind of sad to see everything "FOR SALE".

Yes! Post! how exciting!:eusa_clap

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Here is one for now, it is - of course, The Time Machine from the Rod Taylor version. My wife (still have her!) is holding the catalogs for the auction. Too bad they were thrown out years ago, as there were list upon list of cinematic "treasures" on those pages!

3546415843_9a5b4f9284.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
As I understand Universal Studios is pretty tight with stuff, so when the time came to make "Young Frankenstein" nearly all of the original Frankenstein special effects electrical props were all still working and available for use.

It was the special effects developer who still had all of the old Frankenstein laboratory props in his garage. Mel Brooks went out to talk to him about how they were made and such, so they could be replicated for Young Frankenstein, and he took Brooks out to his garage and there they all were, still in working order.

A lot of stuff used to periodically turn up at Western Costume's "garage" sales. I had one of Dustin Hoffman's prison outfit from Papillion in my hands one day and thought I might find something better and set it down. Came back five minutes later to find it gone - and it was autographed, too. $35 and I've been kicking myself since. I've got a couple shirts from Dances with Wolfs packed away somewhere. And I got a few things from Northern Exposure when they shut down filming up here.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Barrelhouse said:
Captain, it would appear you went home with the most beautiful treasure in that building...your wife!!

You really know how to bring a tear to this old guys eye, Barrelhouse; But it's a good feeling to have some one say that after 47 years of marriage. Thank you!
Here is another picture (I didn't take it) at the MGM auction. My friend David Allen, my wife and me standing in front of a rather large "miniature"!
Forgive the flashy clothes - hey, it was THE SEVENTIES!

3546416659_ba03e79ac3.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
John in Covina said:
There was a cool Antiques Roadshow a few years back where the guy found one of the miniatures of the Nautilis sub from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (the James Mason one) which I think is Disney.
Another great movie item that showed up on Antiques Roadshow was a model airplane prominently used in the Howard Hawkes film Only Angles Have Wings! That was a really cool prop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21