Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Don Was
images_1.jpg

JazzHat

New in Town
Jan 1, 1973. Waited for Ohio Players to get on board early morning flight to Denver. Hungover? Yes, I was!
Great pics Bigger Don & Frunobulax. . . love the Bootsy!
Interesting aside: yesterday I watched "Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child" on Netflix. . . Did not know until the movie started that Bootsy Collins played the voice of Jimi. Great movie told in Jimis own words (compiled from his personal artifacts - letters home to Dad, interviews, etc.) Bootsy did an awesome job of capturing Jimis soft spoken demeanor. Highly recommend the film. . . 10 Fedora rating for the film and thanks for putting Bootsy up here!

Oh yeah. . . long time lurker but had to jump in on the Bootsy thing!

Last edited:
Interesting aside: yesterday I watched "Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child" on Netflix. . . Did not know until the movie started that Bootsy Collins played the voice of Jimi. Great movie told in Jimis own words (compiled from his personal artifacts - letters home to Dad, interviews, etc.) Bootsy did an awesome job of capturing Jimis soft spoken demeanor. Highly recommend the film. . . 10 Fedora rating for the film and thanks for putting Bootsy up here!

Don't be shy, let the Fedora Force flow through you...

RJR

Welcome.

Bigger Don

Practically Family

I'll have to look it up. Didn't know Bootsy voiced Jimi's words.

Jim (aka @Frunobulax ) and I are in the Who Got the Funk Corridor, aka I-75 Cincinnati-to-Dayton. James Brown recorded in Cincinnati, but since your location is "Ohio", you may have known that.

Since you're @JazzHat in Ohio I got to wondering if you're familiar with the man I was originally hoping to find in a hat, Jimmy McGary.

JazzHat

New in Town
I'll have to look it up. Didn't know Bootsy voiced Jimi's words.

Jim (aka @Frunobulax ) and I are in the Who Got the Funk Corridor, aka I-75 Cincinnati-to-Dayton. James Brown recorded in Cincinnati, but since your location is "Ohio", you may have known that.

Since you're @JazzHat in Ohio I got to wondering if you're familiar with the man I was originally hoping to find in a hat, Jimmy McGary.

Yeah, Jimmy McGary (passed 1990 ish?), "Father Jazz" made a huge name for himself & Cinci. Here's a really nice write-up about Jimmy from a local Cincy blog (april 2013):
http://www.gaslightproperty.com/new-jimmy-mcgary-cd/

His son Sean McGary runs a music school in town (The Music Salon?) & is mentioned in the above blog as a source to buy the recent re-release of his Dad's CD "Live at the Sungarden". Never saw Jimmy play, never met his son. . . but I think I'll call him today (number's in the blog) and order his Dad's CD. . . support the arts, right?

JazzHat

New in Town
BTW, back to the orig post topic ~ Bootsys current keyboard player Rashon Murph is also from Cinci. He just moved to Atlanta this year to be "closer to the action" where he's also starting a side project - Blue Herron Entertainment (production co.) RaMu (Rashon) is writing audition tracks right now for a big hush-hush project (it's tied to a major national celebrity. . .nobody is supposed to be talking about it yet). If the project flies it will be "next step" toward A-list status for RaMu. (that is sooo cool!)

I've never seen Ramu wear a hat though. . .

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Yeah, Jimmy McGary (passed 1990 ish?), "Father Jazz" made a huge name for himself & Cinci. Here's a really nice write-up about Jimmy from a local Cincy blog (april 2013):
http://www.gaslightproperty.com/new-jimmy-mcgary-cd/

His son Sean McGary runs a music school in town (The Music Salon?) & is mentioned in the above blog as a source to buy the recent re-release of his Dad's CD "Live at the Sungarden". Never saw Jimmy play, never met his son. . . but I think I'll call him today (number's in the blog) and order his Dad's CD. . . support the arts, right?
I was unfortunate to have a bartending gig down on 2nd St, working for the Schillings (of Beverly Hills Supper Club inferno infamy), back around 1981. The good thing was Jimmy McGary played Friday happy hour.

A year or so later we lived in the same Mt Adams building as the owner of Cory's (who drove a huge finned, faded blue convertible De Ville we called "The Jazz Mobile>). Corey's is where Jimmy and his trio/quartet played quite frequently. Magic Nights for a late twenties college student and his wife!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran