Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

Chas

One Too Many
This is brilliant- found a magazine article on where Lester got his porkpies- he MADE them. :) :) :)

Lester_hat.jpg

Enlarged the instructional section:

porkpie_instr.jpg

My first attempt.
DSC_0074.jpg

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
Yeah, that's great, isn't it? I have to find a copy of that magazine. I enlarged the pic of Lester and Macaroni and it now serves as my pc's wallpaper.

"The Legend and His Kitty"
lester_and_macaroni.jpg

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Since We're Needing More Ladies...

Here are a few of Brandi Carlile
brandicar-bonnaroo-front.jpg

0811090536340610060_7161_v1.jpg

And one of her band members wearing a hat [Either Tim or Phil Hanseroth... twins and I can't keep them straight]
brandi-450x440-300x293.png

I can't say enough about her music, I absolutely love it.

Randy

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
[video=youtube;-Xu71i89xvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu71i89xvs[/video]

[video=youtube;sIo5x-q1GNo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIo5x-q1GNo[/video]

[video=youtube;XD_hQ-8M4os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_hQ-8M4os&p=5A5685F5B4ED0F25&playnext=1&index=42[/video]

Yes.

theinterchange

One Too Many

To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi "So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view" I don't think he had a good singing voice, but you do. I DO enjoy him, but don't for a second think he can really sing... more like caterwauling/yodeling than singing. But, one must also take into account the vocal styles popular/predominate in the time he lived. I personally don't think it took much in the way of vocal talent to go far... come to think of it, not much has changed, eh?

Randy

Chas

One Too Many
To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi "So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view" I don't think he had a good singing voice, but you do. I DO enjoy him, but don't for a second think he can really sing... more like caterwauling/yodeling than singing. But, one must also take into account the vocal styles popular/predominate in the time he lived.

What do you consider "real" singing? A 3 octave range? Billie Holiday didn't have that. Ella did. You will not lack for folks who consider Billie the greatest of all time. Are they 'wrong'?

Well, he sings on key, with emotion and gets the message across. What more do you want? There were better singers, of course. It's like a Billie Holiday vs. Ella Fitzgerald debate. Purely subjective when it comes right down to it.

Hank sings like Hank, I guess. I understand what you mean.

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
Oh, dude...I'm not even near to excited. Pretty relaxed, actually. You should see me when I'm REALLY riled up. Ask Lolly Loisides about that.

'Tis no big deal, really.

Speaking purely as a musician, singing on key without unnecessesary embellishment is the biggest. Modern singers embellish WAY too much.

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Okay, it's hard to tel the emotionl behind the coldness of the typed word.;)

I like Williams, his voice has a lot of character and emotion, but not one that I'd consider great.

Oh in terms of Ella vs. Billie, for me it's a tie.. I like 'em both.

Randy

Chas

One Too Many
I know, that's the kick about the 'net. No tone of voice, inflection yadda yadda. That's why I prefer pubs. We're cool, theinterchange.

I for one can't believe that there's so many Sinatra fans when Nat King Cole was clearly the superior vocalist ~ ah ha ha ha....

Back to topic: Eddie Lockjaw Davis
lockjawcookboolone.jpg

My man, Big Jay McNeely.
Big-Jay-MCNeely-4504-500x334.jpg

Why are the tenor sax players so much cooler than everybody else?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I know, that's the kick about the 'net. No tone of voice, inflection yadda yadda. That's why I prefer pubs. We're cool, theinterchange.

I for one can't believe that there's so many Sinatra fans when Nat King Cole was clearly the superior vocalist ~ ah ha ha ha....

Lets not forget Johnny Mathis. ;o)

theinterchange

One Too Many

Good deal! I wasn't getting lathered up, either.

Well, I was first introduced to a true love of hats via Sinatra [then after that, Indiana Jones], so I'm biased toward him. I like Cole as well, but don't listen as often as I should. Though, I actually prefer Dean Martin's less polished voice to most any from that era... but again, rarely listen to him.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy