Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My “New” ‘68 Peacoat!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Man! I’ve been on a vintage military coat binge lately and my latest edition is the Kersey Peacoat!
I used to be a 40 in a Vanson, back in school, but I’m a little closer to a 42 now. I read up on the dating a Peacoat post, and went with a 40.
When it came the shoulders fit perfectly, but the body was a little boxy. The shoulders fit well enough I was thinking to get it taken in, but I figured I’d try moving the buttons first.

It worked better than I would have thought!! I moved the buttons two full inches, and figured I’d have to move left side to make it all look right.

NOT SO! It almost seems like someone had opened it up 2 inches previously! Not only did I not have to touch the dummy buttons, but the collar lays flatter and more square. And the body of the coat now fits dead on! JUST room for a medium/thick sweater.

These old Milsurp coats are such an amazing value, the workmanship, materials, fit, is ridiculous.

The Peacoat was 40 bucks plus shipping, because it was missing a couple buttons...

They were in the pocket!

Peacoat

Bartender
Well, now, that is the deal. Moving the buttons often works well, but both sides sometimes need to be moved. Yours worked out well with moving only one side, and that is the business. Congratulations.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Looking at the measurements taken by eBay sellers I wonder if there were small med and large coats but then further sizing done with button placement. It would explain different sizes having the same shoulder measurement and it would save production cost.

Peacoat

Bartender
Looking at the measurements taken by eBay sellers I wonder if there were small med and large coats but then further sizing done with button placement. It would explain different sizes having the same shoulder measurement and it would save production cost.
I think this is a novel and interesting idea. I couldn't disprove it, so I kept my keyboard silent. Now, however, I do have proof that the sizing was not done with button placement. In the main peacoat thread, Dr. Damage has posted the 1988 specifications for the peacoat. In that document it gives the various dimensions for the different sizes, from size 30 to size 52. Sorry, even though it is a novel idea, it isn't accurate. See the link below, then look for the posting by Dr. Damage.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...tates-navy-peacoat.35997/page-82#post-2371185

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I think this is a novel and interesting idea. I couldn't disprove it, so I kept my keyboard silent. Now, however, I do have proof that the sizing was not done with button placement. In the main peacoat thread, Dr. Damage has posted the 1988 specifications for the peacoat. In that document it gives the various dimensions for the different sizes, from size 30 to size 52. Sorry, even though it is a novel idea, it isn't accurate. See the link below, then look for the posting by Dr. Damage.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...tates-navy-peacoat.35997/page-82#post-2371185

Hey, it’s cool to know they’re actually sized! I wonder how common that is in US surplus.

I like the Swiss method with a height and chest width range, very easy to get a good fit that way.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hey, it’s cool to know they’re actually sized! I wonder how common that is in US surplus.
Most military surplus stuff has a number size and a length. Although some items were only issued in Regular length, they usually still had an R next to the number. Letter sizing (S, M, etc) is a comparatively recent thing, although some vintage items, usually unfitted outerwear like raincoats, etc, were letter sized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy