Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My 1st Attempt At a Hat Rack.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, Here's my official 1st attempt at designing and building my 1st Hat Rack. I'm actually making 2 of them, but I just got done putting the finish on 1 of them for now, tell me what you think?

HatRack001.jpg

after one coat of stain.....
HatRack005.jpg

this is 2 coats of stain and clear coat.
Hatrack010.jpg

Hatrack011.jpg

I'll be putting 1 of them on this wall, I'll post pics when I do, and have hats hung on it.....
Hatrack009.jpg

Hatrack007.jpg

That's it for now, until I get the other 1 stained & clear coated, it's already built.

phre7

New in Town
Looks Good!

Very nice. What peg spacing did you use? What did you use for the balls? It looks very sturdy. All-in-all, a big thumbs up!:eusa_clap

bolthead

phre7 said:
Very nice. What peg spacing did you use? What did you use for the balls? It looks very sturdy. All-in-all, a big thumbs up!:eusa_clap
Most of my hats are about 10 1/4" wide, so I went 11" just to be on the safe side. I wanted to originaly use hardwood balls (3") because I wanted the whole thing stained & cleared, but I was having a hard time finding them 1st off....2ndly, they only came in bulk when I did find them & they were too small & very expensive. So I happened to come across these paper covered/plastic ornament balls in a craft store, the kind that are blank & you can paint them as you like? I just drilled them & plugged them w/ the dowels shown. That's why I chose to paint them black.

I was going to make them look like billiard balls being hit by pool cues....you know, the 8 ball & 4 solid balls and the other rack I was going to make the cue ball & 4 striped balls & instead of staining it, maybe cover it w/green felt. lol

Flieger

Practically Family
Nice rack! ... ehh... :eusa_doh: lol

Love the design. How did you get the holes for the dowel at precise angles like that? I'm sure there's a simple answer to that but I'm not much of a carpenter myself.

bolthead

Flieger said:
Nice rack! ... ehh... :eusa_doh: lol

Love the design. How did you get the holes for the dowel at precise angles like that? I'm sure there's a simple answer to that but I'm not much of a carpenter myself.
I had to use a drill press at a 45* angle.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Really nice, Bolthead! Thanks for the step-by-step photos from start to finish. Some very nice hats displayed there too! Well done! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner