Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
I judged the SAB by its weight, initially. It was featherweight, comparatively speaking, and the brim rippled with even ginger handling. The crown had sharp, wrinkled, anglular creases in it (which aren't apparent in the photos but are apparent in person) and some discoloration from fingerprints, I'm assuming. And the lining was wide open in the back when I received it; I tucked it in when shooting the photos. All-in-all, a bad delivery presentation.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
In my experience, featherweight felt succumbs to humidity more rapidly and go horribly floppy. I don't mean precipitation, but just high humidity in the atmosphere.

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
And, keep in mind, of course, that this Herbert Johnson Poet wasn't supposed to be the foppish original Poet hat of the 1890s... This was supposed to be the Indiana Jones mod.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
And, keep in mind, of course, that this Herbert Johnson Poet wasn't supposed to be the foppish original Poet hat of the 1890s... This was supposed to be the Indiana Jones mod.

One of the main widely known qualities of the Indy hat is its floppy nature

If I may be frank it sounds to me that you didn't know what you were ordering

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know most here can probably relate to buying a hat online and it not being what they were expecting. From eBay or a company.
What has become of this hat? Have you returned it?
On the bright side, if the Raiders hat is what you are looking for you have ordered it from the right place. When I was looking for a Indy hat it came down to penman or Adventurebilt. I went with Adventurebilt and have not regretted it. Nowadays John Penman seems to be one of the best at what he does. Looking forward to the pictures when it comes in.
Last question, are you getting the Raiders with or without the "turn"?
Johnny

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
You may be frank, and I appreciate that, certainly. I ordered the Herbert Johnson Poet from SAB for the sake of authenticity, and I may well be able to resell it eventually for that virtue. But it was not the durable hat as I had envisioned.

Willybob

A-List Customer
My brother in law received a poet as a gift. Not impressed. He put a little steam on it to correct the bash and it collapsed. Now its taper all around. Looks like a salad bowl. Poor quality bunny I assume. You pay for the name and don't dare wear it outside. I've tried to get him to let me take it home and re crown it but he's afraid to because it cost over $400. Spend that money on a 100% beaver by Penman, Vintage Silhouettes, Bending Oak, Alleykat or one of the other makers. You won't be disappointed.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
You may be frank, and I appreciate that, certainly. I ordered the Herbert Johnson Poet from SAB for the sake of authenticity, and I may well be able to resell it eventually for that virtue. But it was not the durable hat as I had envisioned.

I have to wonder why you envisioned a durable hat when it states right on the HJ site not to wear it in the rain

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
My brother in law received a poet as a gift. Not impressed. He put a little steam on it to correct the bash and it collapsed. Now its taper all around. Looks like a salad bowl. Poor quality bunny I assume. You pay for the name and don't dare wear it outside. I've tried to get him to let me take it home and re crown it but he's afraid to because it cost over $400. Spend that money on a 100% beaver by Penman, Vintage Silhouettes, Bending Oak, Alleykat or one of the other makers. You won't be disappointed.
bendingoak is John Penman

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
I have to wonder why you envisioned a durable hat when it states right on the HJ site not to wear it in the rain

The SAB recommendations state that you shouldn't wear the HJ Poet in the rain; however, they acknowledge that such eventualities DO occur. SAB recommends that, should the hat become wet, simply stuff the crown with newspaper and allow it to dry.

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
But if they say it will shrink and lose its shape when it gets wet why would that not be a red flag to you that they may not be using very high quality felt ?
Again, I purchased the hat primarily for the HJ authenticity, with hopes that I could wear it in a fairly normal fashion, not merely for sci-fi conventions a couple of times per year. If SAB wanted to be entirely honest, they should have specified that it was purely a costume piece with no real-life application.

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Penman, on the other hand, states flat-out on his site that his hats are outdoor-durable. Which is why I'm on the waiting list now.

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know most here can probably relate to buying a hat online and it not being what they were expecting. From eBay or a company.
What has become of this hat? Have you returned it?
On the bright side, if the Raiders hat is what you are looking for you have ordered it from the right place. When I was looking for a Indy hat it came down to penman or Adventurebilt. I went with Adventurebilt and have not regretted it. Nowadays John Penman seems to be one of the best at what he does. Looking forward to the pictures when it comes in.
Last question, are you getting the Raiders with or without the "turn"?
Johnny
Oh, no, I won't return it to SAB and subject myself to that transatlantic ordeal. Once bitten, twice shy.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Again, I purchased the hat primarily for the HJ authenticity, with hopes that I could wear it in a fairly normal fashion, not merely for sci-fi conventions a couple of times per year. If SAB wanted to be entirely honest, they should have specified that it was purely a costume piece with no real-life application.

Out of curiosity .... Since you keep mentioning authenticity
Why no turn?

I actually removed the turn from my Penman ... but just curious as to why you are choosing to go without

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner