Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Blue Heaven

It looks...

• fine to me!

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • cheap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Got some pics?

Yeah, unfortunately I do...

a306ef54c58b4fb4d5fddee98b8e4042.jpg

0e9fbad3fe16340ba13de81859c20def.jpg

defe85208520a9dd9b94c4298eb0c967.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
He feels it's "flimsy".
Obviously, I cannot opine on that, but I also think it doesn't look so bad! I might be tempted to re-bash it, but...
Still, at the price, I can understand why the OP might be disappointed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
nothing wrong with "flimsy" in a hat like this ... I sure wouldn't want it to be stiff ... if that is the opposite of "flimsy"

I think the hat looks fine

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Well, yes, I considered the SAB hat quite flimsy, much thinner felt than, say, my Akubra Adventurer, (which eventually became quite supple, even with the stitched brim). The SAB felt flimsy straight out of the box, such that I could easily imagine it losing its shape altogether in the long-run. I do prefer a sturdy felt that breaks-in over time, particularly with the wear and tear through which I put my hats.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Well, yes, I considered the SAB hat quite flimsy, much thinner felt than, say, my Akubra Adventurer, (which eventually became quite supple, even with the stitched brim). The SAB felt flimsy straight out of the box, such that I could easily imagine it losing its shape altogether in the long-run. I do prefer a sturdy felt that breaks-in over time, particularly with the wear and tear through which I put my hats.

the Penman you just got in line for will not be the "sturdy" you are looking for if you are looking for Akubra "sturdy"

... nor will any fine quality hat for that matter

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
I've owned numerous felt hats over the years, all of which I've worn in the outdoors for hiking, camping and fishing, and most of them held up quite well under extremes of heat, cold and humidity. The Akubra, I would say, is on the high end of durability in that respect, but other less-expensive hats have held up admirably. However, I had the distinct impression that the SAB would not hold up under such rigors. I mean, as soon as I handled the SAB, I thought to myself, "This thing is going to turn into a floppy hillbilly hat in outdoor humidity"...just based on past experience. For the price, I expected something more, not just a cos-play novelty item.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've owned numerous felt hats over the years, all of which I've worn in the outdoors for hiking, camping and fishing, and most of them held up quite well under extremes of heat, cold and humidity. The Akubra, I would say, is on the high end of durability in that respect, but other less-expensive hats have held up admirably. However, I had the distinct impression that the SAB would not hold up under such rigors. I mean, as soon as I handled the SAB, I thought to myself, "This thing is going to turn into a floppy hillbilly hat in outdoor humidity"...just based on past experience. For the price, I expected something more, not just a cos-play novelty item.

it is "flimsy" by design ... that is the nature of the "Poet" as well as Johns "Raiders" hats

the Penman you will receive and probably pay over $500 for will be as well ... "flimsy" does not automatically mean that it will not hold up in weather

I would put my Penman right there with if not ahead of any of my Akubra hats as far as durability ... and it is "flimsy"

Last edited:

Charles Austin Miller

New in Town
Also, I was not impressed with the satin lining of the SAB Herbert Johnson Poet. While inspecting it, I found the lining completely loose and rather haphazardly glued in-place inside the hatband, with the rear seam of the lining not even closed, such that the felt was visible through the lining.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
By "flimsy," I don't mean malleable or supple. When I say "flimsy," I mean of inferior quality.

I think we get the gist of what you're trying to say. But what, specifically, leads you to this conclusion?

There is often a misconception that stiffer felt is of higher quality. Likewise, there's often a misconception that a thin felt is inherently bad. In both cases, density has a far stonger correlation to overall felt quality.

Also, you say the rear seam wasn't closed...but everything looks fine in the pictures you posted. That seam is not meant to be sewn closed.

The fact that the crease wasn't crisp right out of the box is also not a fair indicator of felt quality. Creases often pop out during shipping, especially on new hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW