Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Double Breasted Suit

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sly Style said:
Very nice, I like it quite a bit. You are a master of the curled hand pose, like you used to be military at one point, thats one habit you never get out of.
You mean there is some merit to my pose? Everyone usually says how terribly stiff I look! I've never had the honor of serving in the military, so I can't blame that. ;)
Thanks for your comments.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Senator Jack said:
Very well put together, HJ. Tones and shades are all complementary right down to the hat ribbon. A great example of that timeless style we talk about around here.
Thank you, Jack, coming from a stylish gent like you, I sincerely appreciate it. ;)

scotrace said:
That is an excellent garment for you. Brown is filling out my own wardrobe as well as I rebuild it.
Smashing!
Thanks, Old Sport. Much appreciated!

Thank you also, Orgetorix, I appreciate your kind comments. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
A handsome suit, sir; a handsome suit. And vintage (well, pre-worn), at that! Have you gotten over that phobia completely, Mr. Seinfeld?

You're a natural in suit, my friend. Despite how stiff you may appear in photos, in person you wear a suit as naturally as others wear jeans and sweatshirts.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
Very very good looking suit. Double breasted are so lost on today public in many ways. It's usually the fit issue as always. That one fits you well.
Thanks Matt; with your eye, I appreciate the positive feedback.

Thank you too, Jack. :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Piggy-backing off of my friend, Feraud's thread, I also bought a double breasted suit recently. This one is brown pinstripe. I am becoming quite the brown suit-guy lately, by the way. ;) That is fine, since all of my hats are brown or gray.

I bought this one for the bold lapels and the weight of the material. I sent it to the tailors with my tails and just got it back, and today was the first time I wore it. I am very pleased with it. The tailor took the jacket in perfectly. It fits exactly as I wanted.

So, everyone, what do you think?

Lovely suit! Reetspleat offered me a similar suit, but my wallet said no. [huh]
My only nitpick is that the buttons seem too small...there's so much buttonhole showing...I have the same problem with my Hong Kong double breaste suit.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mr. Rover said:
Lovely suit! Reetspleat offered me a similar suit, but my wallet said no. [huh]
My only nitpick is that the buttons seem too small...there's so much buttonhole showing...I have the same problem with my Hong Kong double breaste suit.
Good call on the button-holes. That's an easy fix though. I should swap those buttons out.
Thanks!
Tim

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
But be sure that the new buttons won't be too big to fit comfortably through the buttonholes. Otherwise, your buttonholes will wear out fast.

Thanks for the tip. ;)
And speak to the buttonhole issue; they are definitely too small, because they have worked their way undone on me more than once.

As an aside, the best DB suit I have ever seen was on William Powell in "Another Thin Man:" wide chunky lapels with a horizonal peak, a wondowpane pattern, and that snug and stylish fit. That is my dream suit!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
As an aside, the best DB suit I have ever seen was on William Powell in "Another Thin Man:" wide chunky lapels with a horizonal peak, a wondowpane pattern, and that snug and stylish fit. That is my dream suit!
Only decent sized pix available on Google:
6301964187.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1122564876_.gif

002430_35.jpg

Nice. High cut closure. Not for every physique perhaps; Powell was long, lanky and high-waisted.

marcello

Suspended
Hemingway Jones said:
The biggest prblem that I see in this suit is the fit and not the style. The collar simply does not fit as it appears to be moving away from you at all times. As this is the most important aspect of suit fit, you should take it to your tailor to see what he is able to do.

Feraud

Bartender
marcello said:
The biggest prblem that I see in this suit is the fit and not the style. The collar simply does not fit as it appears to be moving away from you at all times. As this is the most important aspect of suit fit, you should take it to your tailor to see what he is able to do.
If this is the only issue with the suit, I will say it is a perfect outfit.
It is simply a waste of money to take this excellent suit to a tailor to correct a suspect collar. Chances are the tailor would not know how to correct it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails