Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first C-Crown "home-made" "Maltese Falcon style" bash

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have attempted my first C-crown bash.

The hat is a Disney 15. The "crown modelling" was done by hand and that dreaded chemical :rolleyes: , H2O.

I wanted something along the lines of The Maltese Falcon - Sam Spade hat; my idea was not actually replicating that, but somehow recreate/evocate the style. So, I shaped a C-crown with "dome", and a tight front pinch.

Various views:

PICT0623.jpg

PICT0625.jpg

PICT0627.jpg

PICT0626.jpg

Trying it on:

PICT0632.jpg

PICT0629.jpg

I would appreciate any opinions.

Regards!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Nice try! But it looks like you left your foot print in the top photo!? Did you mold the crown around your foot!!?:) :) :) :eusa_clap

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I think it looks great, a nice smooth "C" shape. Good job! And the hat itself is great, as well. Nice color, and I'm a fan of wide ribbons.

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
As the previous owner of this hat, I have to say, you are working wonders with it. When I tried shaping it by hand, it never wanted to stay put. I am glad it went to you, it was a size too big for me anyway!

Good job, D!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
mannySpaghetti said:
That's a pretty good job, however that crease all the way down to the ribbon looks a bit odd to me. Seems kinda out of place.
I'd agree, and those super tight creased pinches are a pain to change if you ever decide to. But the C-crown looks excellent. When snapping the brim, try snapping it further around.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

First of all: thank you all for the kind comments! I really appreciate it, and it encourages me. In the "kind" category I, of course, include the ones with constructive criticism. I doff my hat to you all! :)

Indeed, Golden Earache was the former owner of the hat, and I am happy it changed hands... and more so when I realize he considers the hat ended in good hands! :) It is true the hat did not "behave" when dry - which is because I thought it was time to try the water method.

To those "awed" by the "magnitude" of the job... I would like to transmit encouragement! This is my first "wet" rebashing, I do not think I am a specially gifted person, and I do not think obtaining good results is beyond the reach of anyone. Just take your hat and try. If the felt is good, it will respond. I found it surprising how easy the "modelling" became just by wetting the surface.

Now that I mention it, it is not necessary to actually dunk the hat, or giving a shower to it. I just poured, carefully, distilled water on those areas I intended to shape, and "tapped" the water in until the felt absorbed it. You do not need the water going through the felt, to the underside, neither.

Regarding the pinch... I began by forming the front crease and the forward "vee" of the crown. At the time I was not entirely sure about the final shape: diamond, c-crown, domed, sunken... Next day, I took it again, and finished it. I like it, although I realize the tight pinch is not everyone's cup of tea, and maybe if I had shaped it the other way round, or done the job in a single session, the final result would have been different. Somehow it developed this way. Perhaps the Indiana Jones fan in me took command - the hat does remind me of a Raiders style hat if I look at the front, which may or may not be a good thing... :eek:

I agree that the brim needs some tweaking, BTW. Will try to improve it.

I would like to mention Gene (HarpPlayerGene) was instrumental, through the "hat talk" we had, in giving me the "push" to taking the step by making it all sound so easy.

I insist: don't be timid and try! If I could, you can.

Regards!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm weighing in a bit late on the hat opinion but I liked it, too.
I'm studying these hat posts to help me with my much anticipated Campdraft thats on backorder!!! I haven't decided on a tight pinch or not.
I like what you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn