Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first vintage tie: Is this how to wear it?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I know, I know, it sounds a bit silly, but this is my first vintage tie, and I'm uncertain as how to wear it.

It's one of those belly ticklers, or whatever they are called. The colors and pattern just reached out and grabbed me, so I bid on it and won. It's about 45 inches long, but by the time I get it around my 18.5 inch neck, there's not much left.

Tie1.jpg
Tie2.jpg

Tie3.jpg

It's fabulously wide, and even the tail is wider than I've seen.

So, am I wearing this thing correctly? Should I tie it longer, or shorter? I will only wear it with my double-breasted suits, and a three-piece if I ever get one.

Brad

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
With a vest,you can keep it tied at that level. With a DB suit, I'd wear it a little bit longer -- maybe about one inch or so.

By the way, good to see you again!!! We've missed you!! :eusa_clap How are those great hat creations of yours?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I believe they were made with higher waisted trousers in mind than what we have today, so will always come up a bit short with a modern suit no matter what. Maybe best to just button our jackets with a short tie? I for one could not get used to ties that look like they have shrunken. :eek:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You're right: they were worn with higher-waisted trousers, and even then there was a "shirt gap" between the the tip of the tie and the top of the waistband.

Even so, I think that Brad's tie would look more balanced if it were worn just a little bit longer, about an inch. Only my opinion, of course.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I always try to tie a vintage tie to get the most length I can get out of them,...yet they always seem to come up short for me. :eek: :rolleyes:
I do love those bold patterns on wide loud ties though! Modern ties just can't compare. :D

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the input, guys.

Actually, I do tie it longer for work. I shortened it some for these photos so I could show off the tail better.

I need to get some more high-waisted suits. I only have one at the moment, but it's olive, and doesn't quite work with the tie.

Marc, it's nice to be missed! I'm still in the process of getting the artwork finished for the sweats and liners, but I'm hoping it won't be long, now. But, that's ...:eek:fftopic: lol

Good to see you around here, too. Last I heard, you'd gone on sabbatical.

Brad

kools

Practically Family
I just wanted to seconds Marc's opinion. I'd go about an inch, or maybe even more, longer. Try to keep maybe an inch or two of shirt showing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael