Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My head is burnt...red !!!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Missouri weather is so strange. During the day Saturday we had the first warm sunny day and that evening came a killer storm, with tornadoes, that swept this area and tragically killed two people over in the next county.

During the mid morning I was enjoying myself out side with customers on the lot, chatting away about thier wants and needs of thier next vehicle. About noon, I sat down with the clients and as we were completing the paper work, one lady said, "You know, you ought to wear that hat you have hanging thier, because you head is really RED !" I didn't realize how cooked I was in less than two hours...

Ouch...it was red and already tender. I just got a cheap straw fedora that I hung on the wall, to condition my co-workers to my new apparel accessory. I have been wearing a crushable Minnekota on Saturday without much chingrins from the gang....

Well I put the straw hat on and the receptionist looked at me and said..."Why on earth are you wearing that hat for ?" I took it off and showed her what a human #3 ball looked like. She agreed that I should wear one, too.

My next cutomer was waiting for me, and there I went walking down the lot looking like something out Mayberry. A professional couple in their sixties. Very nice folks and after our conversation, I just up and asked what is your opinion. He told me that it was unusual for him to be out without one. Then he told me in a question form... "Arn't you at the age yet, that don't give a s##t what people think about you ?"

What sound advice...

And thank goodness for aloe vera....

Just for information...I have taken the advice of this forum and ordered a panama from Robert. Handmade items do take time. (I am a very patient person, so this is not a way to pressure him to get it quicker.) Today, Art and I talked and he is sending me a conformer for my other new hat....

So just read this and grin...and wonder why I didn't have sunscreen on....

best regards,

Mark Easter

Magus

Practically Family
Mark...in the mean time there are always inexpensive vintage straw Champs, Baily's etc on EBay...you could be protecting that mellon...(errrr....tomato...since its so red) within a week or so...and in style too.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Sorry about the burn! but you know, it happens to the best of us....you're doing good with the aloe vera, and make sure you drink lots of water! good luck with it, and I hope you don't blister!:)

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
You know Mark, I know exactly what you mean about Missouri weather. I'm up in Hannibal, this afternoon we had dime size hail and thunderstorms, then tornados passing through. But for a few moments there, it was a beautiful day!!

RedPop4

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
Sorry about the burn! but you know, it happens to the best of us....you're doing good with the aloe vera, and make sure you drink lots of water! good luck with it, and I hope you don't blister!:)
Water helps? Interesting.
I'm red-haired and fair, which means I burn a lot, too. So any advice is welcome. Tell me more?

Sorry about the burn as well.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I used to have red hair...

... but I'm now bald (half natural, half shaved), with very fair skin. Had several pre-cancerous growths taken off my noggin when I was 22 (1.1 decades ago), so now I always wear a hat if there's even a threat of sun.

If you're still stinging and need something to take away the heat and help quicken healing, try a trick I learned from an old archaeologist who spent years in the Middle East: Plain, natural yogurt, coated liberally on the affected regions. Sounds weird (smells even more weird) but it works. The first time I tried it, I had second degree burns from my thighs to my toes from canoeing (that's the last time I ever wore shorts!). I was one big blister. Spread on the yogurt, and the sting was gone in about two minutes.

Just make sure you don't do this when you're going outside, and don't leave it on too long. If you do, you'll start looking like tanoori chicken with a yogurt sauce.

Anybody else ever heard of this burn remedy?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Not heard of the yogurt burn relief.....but I swear by my mothers method.

A cool bath with Vinagar helps take the sting out a lot as well.

Granted you smell a bit like salad, but as far as I am concerned, small price to pay.

Denise, the sunburnt

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Funny thing about hats, they keep you warm in winter and your head and eyeglasses dry in the rain and your head and face out of the sun's way. And chances are, given the hats I've seen you wearing on this site, you're looking pretty good! Let's face it, hats are brilliant. It's a no brainer. How many wet, squinting, cold, sunburnt (sorry, shoeshineboy) hatless people do we see all the time? I don't get it.

So, wear a hat and make it a nice one.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
You know what gets rid of the pain? A couple of stiff martinis. After that, you won't feel a thing...:p

I'm getting more than just thin on top and have burned the top of my scalp before. No fun. I almost always wear a hat, especially in the summer. I had a possible scare with skin cancer some years ago, so I don't take chances. I hope your noggin's feeling better.

Sunshine on my shoulder, gives me blisters.

Burma Shave said:
... a threat of sun.
Here in Southern California it is not a threat it's punishment, especially if ill prepared. So, I try to remember the Sunblock with the SPF of the highest value and some type of hat. I have a Pith helmet I wear for yard work at church and a variety of Sun Hats. I can actually get a sunburn in 10 minutes here, the sun is so strong in the summer.

I was out without a hat last spring one day and got the part in my hair sunburned! It looked kinda funny and then it peeled! I am fair fair skinned and burn very easy. (People accuse me of powdering my legs.)

This just hit me: does anyone think this emoticon guy is both sunburned and constipated? :rage:
He looks like he's straining, that's just like the way Elvis left us!

:p

Hat? Check!
Sunblock? Check!

Sincerely,

Fedora

Vendor
I discovered a good sunburn pain remedy many years ago while in the military. Aspirin. I was amazed at its effectiveness. Fedora

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i want to thank you all for the cards and letters i received about the "Mo-Red-Head" ....I didn't point out that not only was my forehear burnt, I have alot of forehead, but the top and back of my head where it is getting thinner, too.

Today, I wore my straw fedora in the morning, 65 degrees and sunny, but by 1 pm the temperature started to drop. At 5pm today it hit 45 degrees and windy and cold and going into the lower 30' s tonight...

love this weather...

I did get a compliment from one of the receptionist today. That made me feel good....

I really do appreciate your remedies....the aloe vera did the trick...

best regards,

mark the shoeshine boy

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I used to live in Missouri, so I'm hip on the weather. As they say, if you don't like the weather in MO, just hang around five minutes...it'll change. I still have a lot of family back there, and some are now being diagnosed with skin cancer, so Shoeshine, my man, and anybody else in the wicked midwest sun, PROTECT YOURSELF! Who cares what someone else may think? Shade those ears! Back when I was still living in Missouri, my wife-to-be, who had just gone to England, brought back a real nice, wool deerstalker (Sherlock Holmes hat), and I used to wear it in the winter when the snow got deep, with the flaps down over my ears and tied under my chin. I got a lot of stares from the Springfieldians, but know what? I didn't care. I was warm.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
great news....Robert helped me out with a cuenca thing week, right before the nice weather arrived Friday and Saturday. 70 plus degrees with full sun.....and NO SUNBURN ON MY HEAD....

I still have another one coming, but thanks to Robert, I survived today...

mark the shoeshine boy

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another heads up I would like to throw out there about sun burns. I was on a camping trip out to the Rockies Mountains last summer and decided to swing by Miette hot springs for a little soak. I thought nothing of taking my hat off and jumping in (outdoor pool) as I put sunscreen on every morning. The one thing I did not take into account was that the leather sweatband absorbs dampness, including sunscreen. I had a painful ring of "no confidence" right across my forehead for the better part of a week. That was with applying generous amounts of aloe vera hourly. So if you are out and about and find yourself in a hot tub, chopping wood, or doing anything that compels you to take your hat off. think twice or apply some extra sun screen. ;)
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR