Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest Aero A2

majormajor

One Too Many
Just a quick pic of my current A2, an Aero 38-1711-P. Brand new 7 weeks ago.

Breaking in nicely!:D;)

aerohwt.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
Nice looking hide, which one is it?

Bit of a one-off hide on this one. It started out as a soft pale hide which Ken only had a small amount of. I've darkened it and done bit of HWT. This has given me a pretty pleasing result. Grain is now more pronounced, the shading is amazing, and it still has a lovely soft drape to it.:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a fit pic (raining outside, so the best I could do). Still a little bit of work to do - but coming on nicely:D;)

aerohwtfit.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for sharing your latest A2. The 1938 Aero contract is a sharp one and your reproduction is one of the nicest I have seen of this contract from Aero. The leather is already developing a vintage patina. BTW. What sort of zip does it have?

simonc

Practically Family
Hi MM, I'm about to order the same any feedback you'd suggest? Also is that a silk lining?

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
BTW. What sort of zip does it have?

The zip is a Conmar - which could well be incorrect, but the shape and fit was so nice, I was prepared to overlook that.

The 38-1711-P in Gary's book is a Talon - did Aero ever use Conmar, Andrew?

EDIT - looking into it a bit further, the 38-1711-P contract dated from 1937, and Conmar zips only really came on stream in 1941 - so I guess the zip IS wrong.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi MM, I'm about to order the same any feedback you'd suggest? Also is that a silk lining?

Hi Simon

I normally take size 42, but I have sized down both my recent Aero jackets. Both this one and the Aeromarine are size 40s. Obviously, it depends how you want them to fit. Some folks like a looser fit than me.....

The lining does look a bit shiny in that pic, but in fact, it is regular cotton A2 lining.

Good luck with your A2:D;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The zip is a Conmar - which could well be incorrect, but the shape and fit was so nice, I was prepared to overlook that.

The 38-1711-P in Gary's book is a Talon - did Aero ever use Conmar, Andrew?

I can't recall seeing a Conmar on an Aero A2. They used Talons, Crowns and Kwik zips at various times. The 1938 Aero had an M-33 no. 7 Talon zipper.

majormajor

One Too Many
I can't recall seeing a Conmar on an Aero A2. They used Talons, Crowns and Kwik zips at various times. The 1938 Aero had an M-33 no. 7 Talon zipper.

Yup - figured as much (in fact I was just updating my last post). As I said, it doesn't detract from the jacket for me - I'm not a purist.

Thanks for the info, Andrew:D;)

simonc

Practically Family
I think you have done well to size down, it looks as it should, however for an infamously tight fitting jacket i am surprised you could get away with dropping two inches off the order as well, was this because they come up larger in real life, are your pits not squeaking?

majormajor

One Too Many
I think you have done well to size down, it looks as it should, however for an infamously tight fitting jacket i am surprised you could get away with dropping two inches off the order as well, was this because they come up larger in real life, are your pits not squeaking?

I guess they must be sized larger. I've had some "vintage" cut jackets where the high armholes have been really uncomfortable (Levi Type 1 - bloody impossible to move in!), but the Aero's are fine. I can, for example, drive (and I adopt pretty much a "leaning back with arms straight" driving position) perfectly comfortably in both the size 40 Aero's.

My actual true underarm measurement in 43", but my chest is slimmer lower down, if that makes sense;)

simonc

Practically Family
Mine chest is a 44 bang on, I wonder if I could get away with a 42? I'll ask the powers that be, thanks for the post MM.

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
...I normally take size 42, but I have sized down both my recent Aero jackets. Both this one and the Aeromarine are size 40s. Obviously, it depends how you want them to fit. Some folks like a looser fit than me.....

I just wish I would have done the same with my 38-1711-P. The jacket has the most beautyful leather, but looks as bulky as any other A2. :(

majormajor

One Too Many
Quick update.

Did some work on the pockets. Ageing now matches the rest of the jacket a little better:D

aeropocketshwt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran