Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Latest Evening Aero

simonc

Practically Family
Men, I am assembling something new which I wanted to share with you.

I intend to wear it in these horrendous months we suffer with miserable 16-20 degrees temperatures, for my American friends its basically about 65 and we suffer it for about 4 months.
I intend it for the evenings, smart casual but with a touch of reclining glamour.

MODEL: Aero Sunburst

Objective: An Elegant Spring/Autumn Jacket. Evening wear.

45 inch chest. 26.5 inch arm. Shoulder 19. Waist 36.

Slim Fit Body and Slim Fit Arms.

Heaviest Bavarian Black Deerskin (no marks)
Black Silk 30 Momme lining - body and sleeves.
Black poly cotton thread
Brass Fittings.

Bi-swing back (at the same angle as sunburst sections).
Regular deep hand-warmer pockets (ie regular angled pockets)
Reinforced double pocket bags.
Deerskin lined cuffs.
Horsehide black - under bi-swing piece attached to side seam.
Horsehide black - wrist cuff straps
Horsehide black - side halfbelt straps & buckle strap
Horsehide black - halfbelt across the back
Horsehide black - pocket slashes and inner pieces top and sides.
Horsehide black - inside inner zipper facers for a touch of body support
Horsehide black - collar (Deerskin under collar).
Horsehide black - full length underarm piece down to and including under cuff piece.
Horsehide black - mid weight strip around inner hem from half belt down to bottom hem running around to zipper fascias. This is so there is no wrinkling around the hem creating a solid fitted look. The upper body can have a greater amount of softness and movement.

I am not sure weather to go for a 30's halfbelt (as its shown on the site) with sunburst back or what base to build off.
Your collective powers are greater than mine.

Nothing is concrete yet but I welcome all constructive suggestions.
Thoughts on a postcard, cheers, Simon.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Simon, do you have any experience with the deerskin? my initial thoughts are that it may be too soft/pliable especially when paired up with FQHH. they will certainly break in at different rates which may look fantastic or just wrong. Is this a combo Aero has done before?? certainly Ken will have the final word but these are what stuck out to me on first glance.

edit** sorry you didn't mention using FQHH are you planing on the mid-weight HH then

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Yes Boyo mid-weight hh, and I was wondering how they would work together myself. Thing is I want something that is soft but not without body, if you get me. As far as the specs list, pfft, my last Pioneer had much more.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would ask aero first!

They seem to be against any sort of customization... I can't get jackets from them because they refuse to customize patterns to fit me.

Edward

Bartender
The only thing I'd be wary of would be the strip around the inner hem. I don't have it on my Bootlegger (it didn't come into vogue in these parts when I was buying that one), but it's on my Thirties Halfbelt (not my spec- bought it off the sales page as a barely-worn trade-in). I've never found any of the stiffness issues that some speculated on - actually, it makes no difference wearing it to the Bootlegger. I liked the idea of it as a protector thing, but that said I've worn the Bootlegger as much, without any wear on the lining at that bottom edge, or any droop, so I would be skeptical about how necessary it is from that pov. The over-engineering aspect has an appeal for me, but I can see on my own jackets it isn't necessary. I gather part of Ken's dislike of the strip was that it makes it much harder to do a reline down the track, though I can't comment on that really as neither of my jackets is anywhere near needing one.

Otherwise.... " these horrendous months we suffer with miserable 16-20 degrees temperatures".... You're joking, right? That's the perfect temperature! I'm miserable and pissed off any time it goes over 20. Hate it! ;)

I'm with you Edward. Hate the heat :)
I have a strip on my FQHH HBD too. Don't even know it's there. I don't have one on my Ventura so I'll see if that ever wears funny down the road. I wear it daily so if that is a weak spot, Ill find out.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a lot to take in, but once I got my head around, to me you're not actually asking for a lot of alterations, you're just asking for fabrics to be swapped around on the basic pattern. Dustbowl might be an interesting one, though given the fabric changes, I'd try to avoid too many panels.

simonc

Practically Family
I'm glad you get that Craig, same jacket same cut, swapping a few different pieces of leather. Dustbowl, why do you suggest that?

Ha Edward, no, perfect for me is 10-15 degs, sunny crisp day. And for those winter nights I have the black shearling Hercules.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Simon, sounds like a killer jacket but how on earth are you managing to get all these mods when Aero refuse to alter their basic patterns? Still reeling from your drastic mods to their Pioneer jacket!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The DB seems to lend itself to the two-tone/bi-fabric style. I might be tempted to remove the front yoke though...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I can't help but find that a bit frustrating!
All i asked for was to have the shoulders widened as i need a size 42 with 20" shoulders and i was told it was impossible, that they couldn't change patterns, only add length.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind Aero hasn't said yes yet! But Simon is asking for isn't a change in pattern, just a alternate on the fabric - you get two-tone DBs and fabric-leather HBs - which wouldn't require remaking templates. If you're changing proportions heavily, then you have to make a one-off template for that person, which might not fit anyone else - if they don't like it and send it back, then that's time, effort and money down the drain.

wdw

One Too Many
Carlos, what jacket did you want? I had a 40" HWM with 19.5" shoulders, so a 42 with 20 would be feasible. I'm sure my HWM was on the high side of the manufacturing tolerance though.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Carlos, what jacket did you want? I had a 40" HWM with 19.5" shoulders, so a 42 with 20 would be feasible. I'm sure my HWM was on the high side of the manufacturing tolerance though.

Mine's a 42" with 20" shoulders--straight off the sale page.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic