Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Latest Evening Aero

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's very weird, i sent a few emails to ask for the shoulder measurements of a few size 42 jackets and all of them were around 18.5" or 19"
When i asked if it was possible to have the shoulders enlarged to 20" i was told the did not do pattern alteration.

Although i have to say that was just during the weird period when Will left and Ken came back. Maybe things have relaxed a bit since.

Sorry for the highjack...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Simon, I dunno. After all is said and done, keep in mind that you will have to live with what you get. Close your eyes and visualize what the jacket will be to you a year later. Make sure that what you do doesn't violate the KISS principle. I will say that your modified Pioneer came off very well. In any case, your creative skills far exceed mine. :D

simonc

Practically Family
It looks like a long list. And I was really surprised to see that most seem to worry about it passing Go. You make a good point Fanch about being future-proof. I also worry that the hide isn't up to it. Deerskin stretches and is 'eek' very stain attractive. I trust Aero when they say substantial but you know I do like heavy. I have asked for samples and will post them. I put a lot of work into the details which usually delivers a very understated piece. You will see as Craig has pointed out the jacket is more about an exchange rather than a list of changes. I posted this to test the waters openly with an idea, rather than keeping it close to my chest, as a way to bring us together on a new build with at least some clearly thought out direction. I believe if you ask for help you should at least have completed some credible research to tap the wonderful resources we have here. I believe that ideas are you own no matter how freely you give them away one never needs to worry about others taking them, but rather to trust that we will give you our time and our honest opinion to help shape your vision. I do anyway. I hope to follow through on this thread all the way to the completed jacket.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'll be interested to see how it goes. It could potentially look fantastic. My only fear is that, executed wrongly, it could look like an over-amped donkey jacket! :eeek::D

Graemsay

Practically Family
Sounds like an interesting jacket, Simon.

Rather than a bi-swing, I'd consider going for the single back vent. That would require less surgery to the pattern, and I think would sit more neatly with the design.

48851651205811f1_WH%20Navy%20Back-500.jpg

If you feel flush, Kentaurus in Cologne do a car coat that uses the same deerskin as a lining. That might be something to consider, especially with my record of putting holes in the lining of almost every Aero jacket I've ever owned.

a4d8404aee.jpg

The other alternative would be to dump the lining, that's what I'm planning to do in a deerskin Cafe Racer.

simonc

Practically Family
I was just looking at 40 momme bridal silk for the lining, its slippery so jacket slides on and off with ease, its cool in the spring, got a great weight on it, but I can't seem to find it in black. You know what I was thinking might make an awesome lining for a winter jacket - melton wool.

simonc

Practically Family
Okay well i just got the samples in from Aero and I can confirm that the Bavarian Deerhide is a touch thicker than the Russet smooth horse.
XJZ7fKA.jpg

It is butter soft, velvet soft, and has a bit of give, not a great deal
nQBlHRt.jpg

HMiC1zA.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
has the receipt of the leather samples changed your thinking regarding constructing the new jacket?
I would think that for the sake of appearances you would want all the hides to be the same thickness?

simonc

Practically Family
Yes to answer you both its the body of the hide which concerns me now, the deerskin is ultra soft, the horse firm, but the only thing churning in my mind is where I have spec'd the horse is as a supporting role and the deerskin the starring role. The other hard truth is there are three other jackets and as many other hides I need as well. How do I prioritise this over say the King of the Road I have in mind. But all I know is there are about 3 good months in the year were a jacket like this (as well as an A2) is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou