Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new AL-8 ( grainey steerhide)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It just seems a bit roomy around the back, that's all. My LHB is a good fit - it has a bi-swing - and can take a jumper and scarf (as I've discovered over the past week!)

Plumbline

One Too Many
I think perhaps it's just built for someone who has well defined shoulders ( 16 years of boxing and 30 years of riding and racing motorcycles have a lot to answer for) :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thanks Peter ... if it was too big, I think I'd know though .... don't you think :) :) :) :)

Trust me guys .... from wearing it ... on me ..... it fits fine!

You guys make me smile ... where else would someone tell you your jacket's "too big" based on a photograph ... even though you - the wearer - tell them the fit is perfect and exactly what you wanted.

By al means tell me you hate the colour .... or the collar it too pointy, or the zip is too high, or the wrong make, or the half belt is too high on the waist or perhaps you don't like the cut or the style.

The "fit" I can tell you is absolutely fine and dandy ... it's not a 1930's halfbelt skinny fit, it's not an A-2 fit sitting on my waist and neat across all apendages fit, it's not a super trim 1980's bike jacket which I can only fit a compression t-shirt under. It's NOT 1920's fit ...... because I'm NOT a 1920's shape :)

It's a bike jacket ...... it fits great as a bike jacket, It has thr right amount of room and enough freedom of movement to allow it not to ride up etc. on the bike and it has an extra inch in the arms to make sure they don't ride up on either the VFR or the BMW or the YZR. It fits my 44" short arsed frame perfectly and just how I want it to. If I loosen off the side adjusters I'll get a jumper underneath.

I'm delighted with it and it goes on tour to USA in March ( replacing my current travel jacket - Aero Californian) and we will see how it travels :) ..... but thank's for the fitting advice .... I'll tell my tailor (Mick the Stitch - Michael Waterson in Bedford) I'm sure he'll welcome your insight :) :) :)

schitzo

Suspended
In my mind there is a (albeit) crude distinction that can be drawn here. Jackets and jackets for poncing.

The first category comprises those garments that function as outerwear; key word function. These are pieces of clothing that can be worn over whatever else you are wearing; be it a t-shirt or sweater or both. Not to put too finer point on it these are what the layman knows as 'jackets'. It's a comfortable, basically casual staple in any man's wardrobe.

The second comprises those garments whose primary focus is on appearance and image, typically at the expense of functionality and practicality. You know the 'jackets' I'm talking about here.. for example it's the ones that come with raised uber cool uber extra small armholes etc.. that look uber awesome in photographs but actually wear like uber annoying bitches that pinch into your underarms and make you overheat if worn over your t-shirt (too uber tight to fit a sweater in I'm afraid) for more than 10 minutes.

Personally, I don't desire anything from the second category and in my opinion Plumbline has bought a good jacket that fits well. Thanks for the pics

All the best
Schitz

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, you did put up for us to look at, and it is basically 'say what you see' here - in the nicest way possible - so I'm not sure what you expected. But ignore us by all means.
Actually, schizo, I think you're being unfair. There are plenty of jackets I've seen on here that strike a balance between flattering the wearer and practicality.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Close fitting jackets with high arm-holes that prevent anything but fine knits have their place. I don't think you can be categoric about them being 'poncey' - in fact I would say there are very few individual items of clothing alone that you could describe as such, it's usually something that comes through combination (clam diggers, an A2, checked shirt and a bow-tie, now that would be poncey). I own both types of jackets - utilitarian and fashion - and I suspect the majority of people in the FL have too, and wouldn't have it any other way.

majormajor

One Too Many
Why would I want a smaller jacket ..... then it would be too small ( I'll get a jumper under it and that's about it ......it is currently worn with a icebreaker 250 merino thermal).

Why would I want to wear a jacket too small ????????

Hey PL - if you like it, that's cool.

But you know when the barber has cut your hair, and he shows you the back of your head in the little mirror?

That's because you can't see it, but everyone else can.....

Here's the back....

plumbback.jpg

The shoulders look too wide, there's a crease of extra hide between the sides and the sleeves, and two big creases down each side of the back.

And if you look at a 40's tailored jacket with a half belt, it is not at kidney level. It should be in the small of the back.

So, VERY comfy, I'm sure, and if you like that fit, OK. But to me (IMHO), it is too big.

@schitzo...Do you REALLY buy jackets ONLY for function? For £600?

I reckon quite a few Aero/AlexCo customers DO care a great deal about style.

And thankfully, the makers do, too.

I could suggest a trip to Primark, but that would be facetious of me;)

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
@schitzo...Do you REALLY buy jackets ONLY for function? For £600?

If I buy a jacket it has to function as a jacket. If it doesn't I won't buy it. Once the first prerequisite has been satisfied then I can think about the other stuff. Yes, of course I want a jacket that looks good. Who in their right mind would seek out the alternative?

majormajor

One Too Many
Who in their right mind would seek out the alternative?

Exactly.

But as this thread proves, the"right mind" is, in fact, simply a matter of opinion. And opinions differ.

That's why we have forums like FL:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

schitzo

Suspended
Exactly.

But as this thread proves, the"right mind" is, in fact, simply a matter of opinion. And opinions differ.

That's why we have forums like FL:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I don't think this thread proves anything worth proving.

By 'right mind' I mean clinically sane. As we know (if only from reading posts on here) some people need to be sectioned. I have boldly deduced that those in this camp are unlikely to follow the same checklist of prerequisites as the former when they buy a jacket. Hope this helps :D

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Plumbline,

Your jacket exudes quality to my eye. Fit is such an individual thing that some folks have a hard time understanding that we're not all looking for the same thing. If you're using this as a bike jacket then I can definitely understand the longer sleeves and the extra leather on the back in lieu of an action back design, especially when you're riding something like a VFR that requires quite a bit more of a reach compared to something like a cruiser.

I'm also guessing that you're possibly catching grief from some folks at more of a subconscience level as you've purchased from the new start up with the questionable past. The more choices we have as consumers, the better off we are as far as I'm concerned. Aero jackets, the old guard around these parts, are amazing works of craftsmanship and thus their reputation around here. Judging by the looks of your jacket, I'm guessing that those from Alexander Leather will be viewed in the same way at some point down the road as time sets in. As more people take an interest in quality made goods to last for the long haul, there is certainly room for both.

Enjoy!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I buy a jacket it has to function as a jacket. If it doesn't I won't buy it. Once the first prerequisite has been satisfied then I can think about the other stuff. Yes, of course I want a jacket that looks good. Who in their right mind would seek out the alternative?

Dealing in tautologies proves nothing: a jacket has to function as a jacket, otherwise it's something else. Surely the primary concern on this site is whether it's a good looking jacket or a bad looking jacket, otherwise why even bother discussing it?
And as regards my 'being unfair' comment; to simply say 'fashion jackets are for ponces', it's as I said: there are good looking, well-made jackets and poorly-made, awful-looking jackets; in this respect, their weight, size and utility is objectively immaterial. You seem to think that owning/liking a jacket that doesn't fit into your own prescriptive definition of 'a proper jacket' makes that person somehow less of a man. That's your opinion, I merely beg to differ, so why the defensive tone?
And FFTT, it's not about it being an AL jacket - I woudn't expect Will to produce anything but high quality work - it's a fine looking piece. But as others have said, in my opinion, it just looks on the big side, that's all. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24