Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New LW Dubow A-2

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Just received this, brand new Lost Worlds A-2 for $350, very please with it, sleeves are a bit long, and the pocket/collar snaps are not nippled (to upset any authentic nipple twiddlers out there) but wow, what a jacket. Wanted a good repro, for a while, and stumbled upon this. The leather, as every one says is the best around, and I can't disagree, it is heavy and rich, and will wear in beautifully. The sleeves are a bit too long, but these can be shortened easily.

In the process of finding an NOS talon to fit to it at some point when this one fails, or maybe sooner, but very pleased over all.

Thinking of giving it a hot soak to see if that will release the leather a bit, and maybe shorten the sleeves a tad, but not sure, any opinions?

Anyway hope you all like it.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

(best M.Chapman side shot repro)

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Last edited:

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Well, it's a 34" chest, and as small as they come, but it's doesnt' feel too big, nor look too big in the flesh.

Thanks for your concise constructive in put though

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice jacket. I think you'll find the sleeves get a bit shorter as they age and crease.
It's a touch large but at that price... just fine. And you may grow a bit... in one direction or another...
over the 30-some years of wear you'll get out of this jacket.

Lando

Practically Family
I have a LWs A-2 as well, love it. But, I tried the hot soak and it didn't do a thing to the dimension of the jacket. The HH barely creased on the sleeves and they didn't shorten at all. Something to think about. But, a LWs for that price is not a deal to pass up. Nice jacket sir, good deal.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I know i'm gonna love this jacket. I have a nice collection of original G-1's which are all very slim cut, with this I liked the original issue look, which isn't perfectly tailored or fitted. I doubt I'll grown into it being 26, and 5ft6and a spit, but it's a nice thought Feltfan. Wish I would a bit, (Upwards though). But I am surprised anyone thinks it's big, Where exactly? I will get the arms shortened, suppose I could loose some of round the back, but the shoulders fit perfectly, (admittedly they look a bit wide in the front shot) and only wearing a polo shirt underneath.

But you don't think soaking'll effect it much Lando? I might give it a try anyway, no problems with yours?

LW's HH is tough stuff..! I worked on a friend's jacket off and on for two weeks with the 'hot water' treatment. Didn't phase it.
I advise getting the sleeves shortened and just wear it. You'll love it...and it'll serve you well..!
My first A2 (years ago) was a LW.
You got it for a great price,too.
HD

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I have a feeling I'm ging to live in it, eventually, when I ever have the money i'm going to work towards a GW Rough Wear 1401p I think, but I do have more of a thing for G-1's and their Monarch M-442 is beautiful.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Killer Price on a very nice A2; if I were you I'd take some of the dough you saved and have an experienced tailor take the sleeves up to correct length. It's an easy fix and you'll be glad you did IMHO.

Congrats!!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
as the sleaves wear, they crease and take up some of the length, but they are long (tho don't look bad) and can use a shortening when you feel like it.

as for the fit, i personally wear my jackets close to this relaxed fit. all of them, motorcycle to nylon military to leather military...if you go back to ww2 photos you'd be surprised to see a lot of guys wearing them like this, not always the (in my opinion) overly tight fit that i've seen too often on modern wearers.

so i'd say it's great. besides, as it conforms to the torso it will probably have more of a fitted look. however, you should contact fedlounge member peacoat, he has a story about a horsehide jacket he wore riding his bike in the rain, and i think his schott shrunk.

thor

Call Me a Cab
You are also wearing just a polo shirt underneath; if you wear a heavyweight long-sleeve shirt or light sweater, the jacket (and sleeve length issue) should be fine. The LW should make an excellent fall/winter jacket with light layers worn beneath since the horsehide is waterproof and pretty much impregnable.

I have a LW A-2 myself and it has broken in wonderfully. Enjoy your jacket for a lifetime!

chamboid

One of the Regulars
I will definitely have the sleeves done Breton, but thanks JohnnyJohnny, you seem to get it, it fits like an original, not à la steve Mcqueen, with his slim cut chinos and 'perfect' A-2, for a film made in 1963. It's utilitarian, and the great original photos have a great worn, saggy lived in look that this will have at some point.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Chamboid,
very nice jacket at a superb price, fits perfectly across the shoulders, OK the sleeves are a bit long but before you get them altered I would keep it for a while to let the sleeves develop their creasing then when they have ridden up you will know exactly how much to shorten them(I 'm sure it will only be a very small amount). I hope you realise you may be starting a very expensive habit!, and as you have a standard 1940,s physique (no offence meant!) your opportunities in A2's are vast! Enjoy breaking in you new jacket, wear the hell out of it!

D

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Thanks Davey, I will heed your advice. I already have 7 original 'G-1' contacts from a Gordon & Furgison M-422a to a L.W Foster 55j14, (wanted one from every USN collar stamped issue). Still looking for that 7823 (aer). Surprisingly I have ended up with the majority being AN-6552's of varying makers. And it is a very expensive hobby, stupidly so.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Tadite, I don't know if your being funny or not, but with the fear of sounding earnest, or ardent, LW does have knits, but they are covered by the length of the leather sleeves.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Tadite, I don't know if your being funny or not, but with the fear of sounding earnest, or ardent, LW does have knits, but they are covered by the length of the leather sleeves.

They aren't just knits; they're peerless, handcrafted knits meant to be worn by real men who eat chocolate chip cookies, not fragile Italian biscotti. Pabts Blue Ribbon in a can, not Corona with a metrosexual lime wedge. These knits aren't for men who dress up and snap pictures of themselves in style forums - they are for men who proudly go bald...Rogaine be damned!

Stu :D

Jwag

One of the Regulars
I too have the 34 jacket. I must have long arms, because the sleeves are just about right for me. You will love it. Give it about 3-4 months and it will start to break in and show some very nice grain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo