Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New LW Dubow A-2

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Would love to see some pictures of yours Jwag, as previously stated, I am pretty short, and have short arms anyway.

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
One thing I've learned since posting here is fit is very subjective and also depends on age, body type, fitness level, and if people actually use the jacket for its purpose ie those who ride motorcycles and those who don't. Those who don't ride tend to wear MC jackets much larger and looser than I would for example. The older guys tend to like boxier and looser cuts while younger like more form fitted.

If you are comfortable in the jacket and like the fit then that's what is important. The sleeves are bit long but someone can take them up an inch or two, not sure if LW's would do it or not.

buttemt61

Congrat's! Get the sleeves shortened and you'll rock that thing! LW are TOUGH to break in, so be patient, and beat the hell out of it! lolEnjoy! Another thought. Given your size and look, I'd save up for a nice WWII A-2 that you could wear. I think you'd look great and the sizes are in line with yours and your build. I sure wish I could.And finally. Search for 767fo's M-422 Good Wear. Outrageously beautiful!

Last edited:

flaminggroovy

New in Town
Just received this, brand new Lost Worlds A-2 for $350, very please with it, sleeves are a bit long, and the pocket/collar snaps are not nippled (to upset any authentic nipple twiddlers out there) but wow, what a jacket. Wanted a good repro, for a while, and stumbled upon this. The leather, as every one says is the best around, and I can't disagree, it is heavy and rich, and will wear in beautifully. The sleeves are a bit too long, but these can be shortened easily.

In the process of finding an NOS talon to fit to it at some point when this one fails, or maybe sooner, but very pleased over all.

Thinking of giving it a hot soak to see if that will release the leather a bit, and maybe shorten the sleeves a tad, but not sure, any opinions?

Anyway hope you all like it.

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

(best M.Chapman side shot repro)

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

You can shorten the sleeves abit. But overall it suits you very well. In WW2 the crew didnt wear snug fit jackets. Look at those old pics. You wear it as you get it.
Good luck....nice jacket...!!

chamboid

One of the Regulars
cheers, and as I said to JohnnyJohnny a few pages back that was the look I was after, and authentic look, not a vacuum-packet trendy look.I am soaking the jacket as we speak, been in four about an hour so gonna take it out soon, and sandwich it between two towel and put in the the airing cupboard, should relax a bit, hopefully

Last edited:

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Just took it out the tub, and let it drain, wrapped it in a towel and tried to put it in the airing cupboard, which was like trying to hide a dead dog, it was so heavy and warm, odd feeling. Anyway the dye from the linning ran quite a bit, but apart fromt that it's just the waiting game...

archbury918

One of the Regulars
My first upscale A-2 is an LW. Still have and wear it over ten years, damn near bullet-proof!
I would wear the jacket now that you've "treated" it. It'll help form to your body shape and crease better at the elbows. It feels weird wearing a wet jacket, but it's better in the end.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, I know i'm gonna love this jacket. I have a nice collection of original G-1's which are all very slim cut, with this I liked the original issue look, which isn't perfectly tailored or fitted. I doubt I'll grown into it being 26, and 5ft6and a spit, but it's a nice thought Feltfan. Wish I would a bit, (Upwards though). But I am surprised anyone thinks it's big, Where exactly? I will get the arms shortened, suppose I could loose some of round the back, but the shoulders fit perfectly, (admittedly they look a bit wide in the front shot) and only wearing a polo shirt underneath.

But you don't think soaking'll effect it much Lando? I might give it a try anyway, no problems with yours?

I had meant to make the point that military issue didn't really mean a custom tailored look and that's authentic, too.
Glad you understand that. As for growing, I wasn't thinking you'd get a lot more height, but there's a chance you'll
change in girth over a few decades, one way or another. Wear it in good health.

ashejk

New in Town
Just took it out the tub, and let it drain, wrapped it in a towel and tried to put it in the airing cupboard, which was like trying to hide a dead dog, it was so heavy and warm, odd feeling. Anyway the dye from the linning ran quite a bit, but apart fromt that it's just the waiting game...

How did you LW A-2 come out? Do you have pictures?

cafeblitz

New in Town
First, this is my first post, so hello all. Thanks for having me, I have learned quite a bit by just skimming the forum over the last couple of months.

Second, would you (the OP) mind telling us your stats for comparison's sake? Height, chest, etc. I'm thinking about getting the exact same jacket (also a 34); however, my other LW ran what appeared to be about two sizes too big, so I'm a bit concerned about the purchase.

Thanks!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Great jacket! Authentic WW2 fit IMO and a good find. Shorten those sleeves a touch, leaving room for wrinkling and you have a winner.
I have owned a LWs a while back, but after a few other repros I just couldn't get into that hide! Too stiff for me.
It is the most amazing chocolate brown colour though, its my favourite of all A-2s as far as colour/ hue go. I think only Aero has a similar coloured HH (smooth russet). I may be wrong, but most of the guys seem to offer HH with more reddy/ orangey undertones, or its just darker.
I have seen originals in all shades, but many were of this chocolate variety and I wonder why more repros manufacturers don't offer this shade.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
How did you LW A-2 come out? Do you have pictures?

It actually came out really well, I did put it in the tumble dryer a few times it shrank a fair bit, and is a great hard hard wearing jacket now, when i get the chance i'll pist some pictures, it's almost been a year now, barely worn.

JVK

New in Town
It actually came out really well, I did put it in the tumble dryer a few times it shrank a fair bit, and is a great hard hard wearing jacket now, when i get the chance i'll pist some pictures, it's almost been a year now, barely worn.

What jacket do you wear the most out of all of yours, out of curiosity?

And yours has a nice deep brown color to it, is that Stuart's "russet" from the site? I'd been expecting something more red but his site reads that he only offers the black and russet.

thor

Call Me a Cab
What jacket do you wear the most out of all of yours, out of curiosity?

And yours has a nice deep brown color to it, is that Stuart's "russet" from the site? I'd been expecting something more red but his site reads that he only offers the black and russet.

That's one of the unique characteristics of LW: their wonderful "russet" color. Not too reddish, not overly dark, not just plain "brown". It's true russet, the way USAAF specs intended. Makes me wonder if ALL Leather items used by the Army (holsters, service cap visors, shoes/boots, etc) were supposed to be the same shade of russet brown?

Stand By

One Too Many
Looking at you, Chamboid, you remind me a bit of myself when I got my first Irvin. I was a 36" chest then (I was 18) and I got a size 38 from Aviation Leathercraft - and it drenched me. I looked like the frickin' Michelin Man in it. But I loved it. I distinctly recall putting it on to proudly show my dad - whose response was: "You've bought the wrong size, lad. A 38? Should have bought a 40." ....
I thought "As if ! You know nuthin', dad!" ... but he was right. I wore it gladly for 18 years - until it was too tight on my chest (and I should have retired it before then) - and so I began the hunt for a replacement and an upgrade - and I discovered the FL and ELC .... and, at 45, I wear a 42 today.
All I'm saying is, give it time. That jacket will last you. I'd see how much the sleeves fold with wear before altering ...
And enjoy the jacket. It's clearly a winner and it suits you.

Looking at you, Chamboid, you remind me a bit of myself when I got my first Irvin. I was a 36" chest then (I was 18) and I got a size 38 from Aviation Leathercraft - and it drenched me. I looked like the frickin' Michelin Man in it. But I loved it. I distinctly recall putting it on to proudly show my dad - whose response was: "You've bought the wrong size, lad. A 38? Should have bought a 40." .... I thought "As if ! You know nuthin', dad!" ... but he was right. I wore it gladly for 18 years - until it was too tight on my chest (and I should have retired it before then) - and so I began the hunt for a replacement and an upgrade - and I discovered the FL and ELC .... and, at 45, I wear a 42 today.All I'm saying is, give it time. That jacket will last you. I'd see how much the sleeves fold with wear before altering ... And enjoy the jacket. It's clearly a winner and it suits you.
My son is like that. A 36 and wiry as hell. I got a LW half belt for him and it fits great. I also managed to pickup a nice, unused Avirex HH A-2 from 1978. I'll eventually get him a "real" A-2 when he's a little larger. Like a 38 :)I did get him an Aero B-3 in a 38 that he's now just really starting to fit into, but lotsa layering room still.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
That's one of the unique characteristics of LW: their wonderful "russet" color. Not too reddish, not overly dark, not just plain "brown". It's true russet, the way USAAF specs intended. Makes me wonder if ALL Leather items used by the Army (holsters, service cap visors, shoes/boots, etc) were supposed to be the same shade of russet brown?

I had a LW Ryder in Russet and I really liked the color. Pretty much a perfect color IMO.

Stand By

One Too Many
My son is like that. A 36 and wiry as hell. I got a LW half belt for him and it fits great. I also managed to pickup a nice, unused Avirex HH A-2 from 1978. I'll eventually get him a "real" A-2 when he's a little larger. Like a 38 :)I did get him an Aero B-3 in a 38 that he's now just really starting to fit into, but lotsa layering room still.

Yep, I had "layering room" for my old Irvin. Back then I never imagined I'd be wearing a size 42 B3 and contemplating a 44 for my next one ...
I'll probably be looking like William Shatner by the end ...!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo