Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new US Authentic HH A2

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Good afternoon

Haven't see any post about US Authentic for few months, I figure it's worth to post my new HH A2.

I bought same A2 from Shaul last year, but returned due to thin hide(I am not concern with any historical inaccuracy, that's why I eventually didn't end up with high end eastman) and poor fit. But this time, I sized down to 40, and turns out to nearly perfect fit in my opinion. The hide is very pliable yet thick, it weight around 5 lbs.

I am very happy with this purchasing. For anybody who is not so crazy with history accuracy but want tough heavy A2, I highly recommend US Authentic.

P.S I am also waiting for my Aero quartermaster A2 seal Jerky HH, can't wait.

bd1ccea27bee960907bf22bb72aaf945.jpg
a75e7b5820f59f506a498d16762e7894.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice. I take it it's horse? To help us appreciate this US A jacket it would be useful to post the measurements of the jacket and your size/weight. The sleeves look fairly long - is it a long size? Fitting these things ca be hit and mis. Shaul recommended a size 42 to me but their 42 has a huge chest size closer to a 44.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Nice. I take it it's horse? To help us appreciate this US A jacket it would be useful to post the measurements of the jacket and your size/weight. The sleeves look fairly long - is it a long size? Fitting these things ca be hit and mis. Shaul recommended a size 42 to me but their 42 has a huge chest size closer to a 44.

Sure Lucas, it is HH.
d4881c60607f002382886cc6bdc69047.jpg

Last I took his recommend and got 42, way too baggy (It didn't bother me that much at that time, thanks for the education from many of you!).
However the measurements of 40 : Shoulder 19.25, chest 23, sleeve 27, back 26.

seres

A-List Customer
...I bought same A2 from Shaul last year, but returned due to thin hide... and poor fit. But this time, I sized down to 40, and turns out to nearly perfect fit in my opinion. The hide is very pliable yet thick, it weight around 5 lbs....

A 5 pound jacket would indicate to me a thick hide, perhaps around 3.5 oz leather. On your reorder, did you specify a thicker hide, or was it just luck? I ask because if I order one today, should I specify a thick hide or just let Shaul select? Thanks!

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
A 5 pound jacket would indicate to me a thick hide, perhaps around 3.5 oz leather. On your reorder, did you specify a thicker hide, or was it just luck? I ask because if I order one today, should I specify a thick hide or just let Shaul select? Thanks!

Yes, I was specifically ask heaviest jacket, as I did last time(but received jacket around 3lbs), but I am little suspicious about leather this time, it has already been broken in with very soft hand, even though leather itself still looks new.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Good the shoulder isn't the usual 22 inches floppy number as per Coopers and US Wings and the cheap repros.

It looks well made. Show us when it's been broken in.

I'm very tempted but I am suspicious of knits. I never tuck my shirt in and I'd hate to try to wear a shorter jacket with knits with a shirt bottom having out. And no, I won't tuck it in - not a look I aspire to.

Last edited:

villzilla

New in Town
Hi all,

I'm going to post here because this came up in one of my searches and the discussion seems relevant. I need all input here please. I'm conflicted about a U.S. Authentic in HH russet that is a 46R. I provided my measurements to the website and that's the size I was recommended. I was fortunate to find someone locally who has one, but upon zippering, it comes across tight in the shoulders, I think? I tried on 48R in other manufactures and it feels like I have complete range of movement. I am a 44R in most other things, by the way, and I have broad shoulders (fml, I never even played football). I'm just not sure how this is supposed to fit. I love the U.S. authentic. It's a gorgeous jacket. The zipper needs to be fixed so I couldn't get a true assessment, but I'm feeling tight/snug up there. How am I supposed to "test" a fit? With what I tried on (the U.S. authentic and others, sizes 46 and 48) I would cross my arms across my body and simulate hand shakes and etc. I'm just not sure with all I've read. Below, you can see it looks nice unzipped, and of course I have better movement with it unzipped, even partially. My heart is set on it but my brain isn't convinced (maybe it wants to be or not, I still don't know haha). I'm 5'9"-11" (depending on who's measuring...).

svoT0D.jpg
imageedit_1_6551646132.jpg

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
First impressions are normally right if it feels wrong then for you it probably is, it is only going to get tighter when zipped.
It's down to your personal preference, if your not used to a tighter fit you will probably regret getting it as you will feel uncomfortable.
The fit looks okay in your photo, that is it does not too small or tight but as you said it's hard to tell if you cannot zip it up.
Best way is always ask the maker for the measurements of the jacket size your after, much safer to compare those to some jacket you already have, I would also be measuring the one you have on in the photo if you can.
It will give you a better idea of sizing if you look for something else.

villzilla

New in Town
First impressions are normally right if it feels wrong then for you it probably is, it is only going to get tighter when zipped.
It's down to your personal preference, if your not used to a tighter fit you will probably regret getting it as you will feel uncomfortable.
The fit looks okay in your photo, that is it does not too small or tight but as you said it's hard to tell if you cannot zip it up.
Best way is always ask the maker for the measurements of the jacket size your after, much safer to compare those to some jacket you already have, I would also be measuring the one you have on in the photo if you can.
It will give you a better idea of sizing if you look for something else.

Thanks for the reply. The one I'm wearing there is a U.S. Authentic in 46R. I was actually recommended that size after sending in my measurements to their customer service. These things are so hit or miss. I feel like it's so hard to make an informed decision because you can't actually try it on until you buy it...

Without a zip, it's tough. The shoulders from here look good.
But also, would you normally or often wear it zipped? It's preference at some stage as to your tolerance for snugness and how you want to look.

villzilla

New in Town
Without a zip, it's tough. The shoulders from here look good.
But also, would you normally or often wear it zipped? It's preference at some stage as to your tolerance for snugness and how you want to look.

I FEEEEEEEL like I would wear it partially unzipped at best but you never know... I agree with you on the looks though. But at what cost am I willing to take looks over comfort? What would a WWII pilot do in my situation? What would you guys do in my situation?

I've had jackets too small and too large, as Goldilocks would say.
"Just right" - hard beast to capture. I rarely zip, but a jacket has to be able to zip (meaning, comfortably).
If I were flying - and I go with friends throughout the year - a baggy jacket is not cool.
But, if you look at WWII era photos, gear was given out and you got what you gots. Fit is all over the place, so all that matters is how you feel in it.
We've all been here, hence the 112 step program offered in this space ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner