Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

N-3B PARKA CARE AND FEEDING

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Now that I know what my N-3B parka is insulated with (wool), I need to know how to care for it. The parka does not have any labels or tags so, I need help in determining how it should be cleaned and maintained. The hood has both mouton and coyote fur to complicate things. Also, can the two furs be treated with anything to improve their dry appearance ? Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Dry cleaning.

Could the moderators merge this thread and the other new one ("What's Inside") into the big N3B thread? Then we'll have all discussion in one place for reference. Thanks.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Don't touch it!!! leave it!!! Seriously!!! I swear Just leave it, I know it sounds crazy but Please trusssst me this one time!

If it's vintage Leave it be, It might Just need a little fresh air. You can't really clean them unless they are absolutely manky, conventional washing will shrink it and all the dye will fade out of the cuffs, Dry clean ONLY! if you have to. if there's moth holes in the cuffs start with those first before you do anything, those knits will eventually come apart if they get holes.

I have a couple that are absolutely Drenched and soiled and shredded and I Just keep em like that...one I bought because it was mint other than the cuffs were completely mothed full of holes...they were all like that, there was a stock of them in a vintage shop downtown toronto, I saw every Jacket, dozens of them all had been infested with moths even though they were mint otheriwise...the Typical City kids will Just be buying them and wearing them without fixing the cuffs so of course they will all Run and blow out and need replacing so..I figured I'd at least save ONE!!! God knows I try and I'd have bought them all IF I could have. Most City Kids I know are too entitled to really appreciate the cool vintage they can readily get.

The one I saved has an orange satin liner, I picked it out special to restore the cuffs and show people how to do it right (no one really gets the whole originality thing AKA Character!!!)

I have another Identical one that's Just BLOWN!!! Like someone was a roofer in it, shredded and stained and the orange liner is Just blown, I LOVE it like that, It's great!!! Love it!!! Totally a 60's Jacket, Still had nails in the pocket and an Ant acid Tablet that they stopped making since the 70's in it, hahah!!! Ten bucks, and I worked last winter for a moving company in it, Riding in the truck cab in the cold wearing it made me feel like a B-52 bomber Pilot kinda!

You can't do anything for the fur except leave it be..if it's shedding or dry rotting it might need to Just simply be replaced by a professional when the time comes... If there's moth holes in the Waist then Like I said * Darn * them with matching thread very carefully by re-tracing the knit loops, I can show you how mine looks.

I have Nylon Jackets worn literally to SHREDS, and others that I DO NOT wear because they are too nice and are collectors items in that condition, Just get a rattier one to wear if you're worried about having this one get beat up or soiled..they are out there, sometimes military surplus stock originals or good repros, I have at least 3 different era N2-B Jackets that I rotate between to not wear one out too soon, That AND I have an ALPHA industries one that's for my daily wear in the winter, I don't mind if that one gets totally wrecked I scored it at a thrift store and it's a modern Re-issue.

Admittedly it was a really mint Jacket when I got it... still is... but I really live in it during the winter, Basically Sleep with the thing over me sometimes when I'v travelling

I have an older 70's era N2B that someone washed too much and you can tell someone (some MORON) threw it in the dryer...can you guess what happened to the Fake fur liner on the hood?

Anyway I swear by the Alpha N2-B

Mine was worn by a lady, hints of whatever sweet smelling perfume still lives in it (I swear she was a brunette) despite the fact I've literally SWEAT this thing right through and gotten straight in the shower with it more than once. (I rode about 5500 Km on my bike two years ago and I needed it in march and april to keep me alive at minus temperature) I had lost so much weight on my bike my Jeans were hanging off my hips by May, It was about 40 KM a day six days a week, that Jacket is my life!

Let's see some pics of what you got!!!

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I have a Masland N-3A.
Dry cleaning only, but the gentle one for fur coats... for 87,--Euro.
So far only the fur trim on the hood became a bit stiff...
All others.... Perfect

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two N-2B's here (70's & 90's) & a rather nice N-2A that I've had cleaned & refurbished.ready for Fall 2017 :)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Thanks for reading, hope it was an alright post.

I Live my life by the N2-B in wintertime, I've traveled through open environments wearing an N2-B and slept in rough conditions and the N2-B has been there for me at all times in all kinds of extremes. I could write a book basically about it. It's a Jacket you could survive in-Bottom line.

Call me a romantic fool But the places and things I've seen wearing one of those, They are the best Jacket ever made IMO., I have nothing but love for these Jackets.

When I get some photos together I'll write you guys a short story about some of my travel Experiences wearing my Old 70's N2-B, the story how I got that particular jacket in itself is an interesting one. I had to retire it because it was starting to really get pretty worn, it was in poor shape when I got it, but I lived in it for all it was worth and it's got some sentimental value I want to hold onto for the rest of my life.

swellshades

New in Town
Don't touch it!!! leave it!!! Seriously!!! I swear Just leave it, I know it sounds crazy but Please trusssst me this one time!

If it's vintage Leave it be, It might Just need a little fresh air. You can't really clean them unless they are absolutely manky, conventional washing will shrink it and all the dye will fade out of the cuffs, Dry clean ONLY! if you have to. if there's moth holes in the cuffs start with those first before you do anything, those knits will eventually come apart if they get holes.

I have a couple that are absolutely Drenched and soiled and shredded and I Just keep em like that...one I bought because it was mint other than the cuffs were completely mothed full of holes...they were all like that, there was a stock of them in a vintage shop downtown toronto, I saw every Jacket, dozens of them all had been infested with moths even though they were mint otheriwise...the Typical City kids will Just be buying them and wearing them without fixing the cuffs so of course they will all Run and blow out and need replacing so..I figured I'd at least save ONE!!! God knows I try and I'd have bought them all IF I could have. Most City Kids I know are too entitled to really appreciate the cool vintage they can readily get.

The one I saved has an orange satin liner, I picked it out special to restore the cuffs and show people how to do it right (no one really gets the whole originality thing AKA Character!!!)

I have another Identical one that's Just BLOWN!!! Like someone was a roofer in it, shredded and stained and the orange liner is Just blown, I LOVE it like that, It's great!!! Love it!!! Totally a 60's Jacket, Still had nails in the pocket and an Ant acid Tablet that they stopped making since the 70's in it, hahah!!! Ten bucks, and I worked last winter for a moving company in it, Riding in the truck cab in the cold wearing it made me feel like a B-52 bomber Pilot kinda!

You can't do anything for the fur except leave it be..if it's shedding or dry rotting it might need to Just simply be replaced by a professional when the time comes... If there's moth holes in the Waist then Like I said * Darn * them with matching thread very carefully by re-tracing the knit loops, I can show you how mine looks.

I have Nylon Jackets worn literally to SHREDS, and others that I DO NOT wear because they are too nice and are collectors items in that condition, Just get a rattier one to wear if you're worried about having this one get beat up or soiled..they are out there, sometimes military surplus stock originals or good repros, I have at least 3 different era N2-B Jackets that I rotate between to not wear one out too soon, That AND I have an ALPHA industries one that's for my daily wear in the winter, I don't mind if that one gets totally wrecked I scored it at a thrift store and it's a modern Re-issue.

Admittedly it was a really mint Jacket when I got it... still is... but I really live in it during the winter, Basically Sleep with the thing over me sometimes when I'v travelling

I have an older 70's era N2B that someone washed too much and you can tell someone (some MORON) threw it in the dryer...can you guess what happened to the Fake fur liner on the hood?

Anyway I swear by the Alpha N2-B

Mine was worn by a lady, hints of whatever sweet smelling perfume still lives in it (I swear she was a brunette) despite the fact I've literally SWEAT this thing right through and gotten straight in the shower with it more than once. (I rode about 5500 Km on my bike two years ago and I needed it in march and april to keep me alive at minus temperature) I had lost so much weight on my bike my Jeans were hanging off my hips by May, It was about 40 KM a day six days a week, that Jacket is my life!

Let's see some pics of what you got!!!
Right. Love your advice-- Just leave the damn thing ALONE! Why don't people listen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran