Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Naval Cut

LordBest

Practically Family
I have seen several references to suits of a 'naval cut' in various old novels and such, can anyone explain what naval cut is? I have a vague idea it may be something to do with button stance on the jacket, mimicking that of the naval blazer. But that is just my ill-educated speculation.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
In a game of Trivial Pursuit just this weekend I learnt that Navy Cut has something to do with how you roll tobacco [huh]

LordBest

Practically Family
I've seen references to navy cut tobacco also, but the references to which I am referring are undoubtedly to tailoring. I can not remember precisely but one of them went something like:
"When I first saw young Worthington-Smythe he was wearing a smart suit of the naval cut, betraying his origins as a man of the Royal Navy..." etc.

Djupis said:
In a game of Trivial Pursuit just this weekend I learnt that Navy Cut has something to do with how you roll tobacco [huh]

campy

New in Town
LordBest said:
I've seen references to navy cut tobacco also, but the references to which I am referring are undoubtedly to tailoring. I can not remember precisely but one of them went something like:
"When I first saw young Worthington-Smythe he was wearing a smart suit of the naval cut, betraying his origins as a man of the Royal Navy..." etc.
Just as a guess, could it mean his suit coat was double-breasted?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I fear I can only add to the confusion, but nevertheless:

MONTHLY MUSTER ROUND THE CAPSTAN.

Besides general quarters, and the regular morning and evening
quarters for prayers on board the Neversink, on the first Sunday
of every month we had a grand "_muster round the capstan_," when
we passed in solemn review before the Captain and officers, who
closely scanned our frocks and trowsers, to see whether they were
according to the Navy cut. In some ships, every man is required
to bring his bag and hammock along for inspection.
—Herman Melville, White Jacket, Chapter 70​

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
If the consensus thus far is correct, here is Capt. Edward Smith (right) and several of his officers on the Titanic in Naval cut frock coats.
MurdochBartlettWildeSmith.jpg

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Hmm. My training is not naval, but perhaps it refers to the unusual cut of the "gun shirt" which is basically a t-shirt that looks like it's backwards. As opposed to the army shirt which has lapels, epaulets and patch pockets, the gun shirt is equivalent to a C2A shirt (or was in my country 11 years ago, when I was in uniform as a Cadet) and may be worn underneath the tunic by any enlisted man.

Overtop the gun shirt is the tunic. Officers wear a traditional dress shirt with button cuffs and necktie. The gun shirt is sometimes replaced with a white turtleneck, depending on weather and parade instructions.

When I was at camp, there were naval cadets attached to our band. We didn't mix and thought they were lazy because their white and black gun shirt didn't need to be pressed. But a real keener will wash, dry and press a gun shirt or leave it under their mattress till the creases are flat.

Thomas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou