Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necktie Knots

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Nothing wrong with dandyism. The dandy shows that he takes time over his appearance. He cares how he looks. everything should be "just so", as the saying goes. We're all dandys in our own ways (if only in terms of tie length :p).

bk

There's nothing wrong with dandyism, I know. I just don't have the time to be one. Throw on shirt, tie, coat and hat and out the door......that tie length does need be right, though.;) If there's a dimple it's just by chance. I look at all those inserts in my daily paper from J.C. Pennys, Sears, and others and see all the generic male models and their perfectly dimpled ties and that's just the opposite of what I want to be.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Nothing to do with wannabes

I use a half windsor knot that just happens to dimple when I tie it because I like a tight knot. Got nothing to do with being a wannabe. It's just a personal preference of mine to tie a half windsor because it gives a nice symmetrical tight knot. If that makes me a wannabe then so be it. To my way of thinking someone who doesn't have a dimple in his tie because he doesn't want to look like a model from a sears catalogue is a wannabe cut from a different cloth. He just wannabe something else! That's cool though, if we were all the same the world would be a boring place. From my way of thinking tie your tie any way you want. I will just be happy to see that people like to wear a tie - dimpled or not!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I remember this 1940s Cary Grant movie (sorry, don't know which one) where he plays a wild bachelor wearing his wild neckties with small knots...no room for a dimple. He meets a lady who wants to tame him and there's a scene where they're cruising down the road and she takes the wild tie off while he's driving and replaces it with a plain conservative one with a bigger knot...though I don't remember if it's dimpled or not. So, myself, a wild bachelor I'm allowed to wear my wild ties with small knots and no dimples. If Cary Grant can then so can I.

Anyone recall the film I'm talking about?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've seen that scene! Thought it was interesting...didn't have time to watch the whole movie, unfortunately.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bob's Dimpled Butt falls into that Too Much Information Thing

A centered dimple always. Because in the 70's, those big fat ties wouldn't dimple, and I thought they looked... like big fat ties.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
scotrace said:
A centered dimple always. Because in the 70's, those big fat ties wouldn't dimple, and I thought they looked... like big fat ties.

Aha! That's what it reminded me of! I couldn't put a finger on why ties without them looked 'off'.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The final decision to dimple or not is up to the tie, shirt and suit color combinations too. I used to not dimple some for gut feeling reasons of aesthetics. It's just not important of a detail. Some folks always used colored hankies in the breast pocket too which I thought was too much. Looks better on some guys than others.

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
You mean an inverted dimple (out, not in) in the middle and then the two sides turned out? I've only gotten one side of that by accident when my dimple wasn't centered...hmm...never tried it intentionally!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I remember this 1940s Cary Grant movie (sorry, don't know which one) where he plays a wild bachelor wearing his wild neckties with small knots...no room for a dimple. He meets a lady who wants to tame him and there's a scene where they're cruising down the road and she takes the wild tie off while he's driving and replaces it with a plain conservative one with a bigger knot...though I don't remember if it's dimpled or not. So, myself, a wild bachelor I'm allowed to wear my wild ties with small knots and no dimples. If Cary Grant can then so can I.

Anyone recall the film I'm talking about?

Its "Mr. Lucky".
Sorry for the delay- meant to post earlier.
Kinda cute movie if you've never seen it.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
How to tie a vintage tie?

Vintage ties that I own are shorter. So I can't tie a full windsor, which is my knot of choice. How did people tie them back then?

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred