Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neckties with little/no lining

Anva

New in Town
Hi,

does anyone know where to find (on the internet) neckties that have no or little lining, preferably from Europe? I don't want to buy new ties just to rip them apart to remove the lining.

Greetings,

Anva

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
EBay and etsy? If you search for 30s or 40s ties you will find a few. Just dig through a few pages. We can't do all the footwork for you.

What do you need? Pattern or plain colors?

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
There was, is, and never will be a tie (we're talking strictly Four-In-Hands, right?) that is unlined; all Four-In-Hands are lined, though before about 1969-1972, the lining was very, very thin, thus producing the thin, neat, and natural knots that we all adore (though I did find a 1930s tie that somebody seemed to have ripped the lining out of, as all of the seams were ripped). From the 1970s to today, the linings of most ties are thicker; though if you look in your local thrift store, you can probably find some nice ties with not-as thick lining; I have a few nice examples ranging from the late 1960s to the 1980s.

-Quetzal

Anva

New in Town
EBay and etsy? If you search for 30s or 40s ties you will find a few. Just dig through a few pages. We can't do all the footwork for you.

What do you need? Pattern or plain colors?

I'm looking for plains/simple patterns. Of course Ebay did come to my mind, but I couldn't tell if they are what I'm looking for just from a photo, so I thought maybe there is a shop or sth. similiar that specializes in these sorts of ties, so I can be sure that I get what I want.

@Quetzal: I'm always going through thrift store stuff, but they seem to prioritize women's clothing (at least where I live), sadly.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
There was, is, and never will be a tie (we're talking strictly Four-In-Hands, right?) that is unlined; all Four-In-Hands are lined, though before about 1969-1972, the lining was very, very thin, thus producing the thin, neat, and natural knots that we all adore (though I did find a 1930s tie that somebody seemed to have ripped the lining out of, as all of the seams were ripped). From the 1970s to today, the linings of most ties are thicker; though if you look in your local thrift store, you can probably find some nice ties with not-as thick lining; I have a few nice examples ranging from the late 1960s to the 1980s.

-Quetzal

I see completely unlined ties from the 1930s all the time. The unlined ties I run across are typically made from synthetics like nylon acetate or rayon. Some folks actually refer to these as "depression" ties. As the Great Depression wore on, lots of companies sought ways to cut costs in order to keep up with deflation. For the tie making industry, this was accomplished by reducing or eliminating lining material and substituting synthetic fibers for more expensive silk and wool.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I see completely unlined ties from the 1930s all the time. The unlined ties I run across are typically made from synthetics like nylon acetate or rayon. Some folks actually refer to these as "depression" ties. As the Great Depression wore on, lots of companies sought ways to cut costs in order to keep up with deflation. For the tie making industry, this was accomplished by reducing or eliminating lining material and substituting synthetic fibers for more expensive silk and wool.

Really? I've never seen one of these, perhaps you could upload a photo? 1/4 of my ties are Depression-era, and the thinnest have a gauze-like lining; you need to peel back the folds to catch a glimpse of it. Some are rayon, some silk (some feel like rayon, maybe an intentional misnomer?), some the "Non-Crush" wool blends, some cotton, but never nylon or acetate in pre-Bold Look ties.

One of the highest-quality pre-WWII ties that I own that just looks like a tiny version of a modern tie with silk beneath the point (most ties of the period did not have a lining there) was made by the NRA.

-Quetzal

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Sure. Here's a acetate tie from the '30s. It has the thin, single layer of lining. I'd say that I see this most common on "depression" ties.

IMG_2465_zpsfa050c0d.jpg

Here's a early '30s tie made from rayon that is extremely "economical" in its use of materials. Check out the way the rolled seam is constructed on the "skinny" end of the tie; there is barely anything inside that seam.

IMG_2470_zps80fa659e.jpg

IMG_2469_zps77e7d37a.jpg

I also see a lot of unlined Palm Beach ties like this one:

IMG_2464_zpsa01b2456.jpg

IMG_2463_zpse056268a.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

does anyone know where to find (on the internet) neckties that have no or little lining, preferably from Europe? I don't want to buy new ties just to rip them apart to remove the lining.

Greetings,

Anva

I would suggest looking through the tie threads here and seeing the brand names etc of the ties that are from the period you are interested in. Most European ties from the thirties to the fifties will have a thin lining.

Also, put an advert in the classified here on the Fedora Lounge asking members if they have any ties from the period that they wish to sell. You might be lucky.

Flat Foot Floey

Some eBay sellers mention unlined or Untipped in their descriptions. If it is untipped chances are very high the lining is thin enough for your needs. Wool ties are often untipped and brocade ties too. If you just play with those searchwords you will get some results.

Flat Foot Floey

Read the caption. It says little(!)/ no lining.
Most sellers would describe untipped ties as unlined. For the small tie knot tie knot this is still good enough.

The pictures guttersnipe posted are excellent.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Sure. Here's a acetate tie from the '30s. It has the thin, single layer of lining. I'd say that I see this most common on "depression" ties.

IMG_2465_zpsfa050c0d.jpg

Here's a early '30s tie made from rayon that is extremely "economical" in its use of materials. Check out the way the rolled seam is constructed on the "skinny" end of the tie; there is barely anything inside that seam.

IMG_2470_zps80fa659e.jpg

IMG_2469_zps77e7d37a.jpg

I also see a lot of unlined Palm Beach ties like this one:

IMG_2464_zpsa01b2456.jpg

IMG_2463_zpse056268a.jpg

All of the lining in my period ties are just like that neat one of yours in picture one. THIS is what I consider lining, not the fat stuffing in most post-late 1960s to present ties.

However, I will admit that I've never seen an unlined tie like your Palm Beach tie.

-Quetzal

DamianM

Vendor
Are you guys talking about interfacing or lining?

lining is just a cover

interfacing is to hold the shape

Palm beach did this to keep their neckties "cooler" but made up for it with their patented "4 fold" construction. this patented construction method used stacking of the cloth to give the necktie substance and keep its shape.

The resilient construction neckties ("depression" ties) where a new and improved way of making neckties. And not necessarily a way to make them cheaper, they have been around since 1923. Essentially the perfected way to make a necktie

http://www.google.com/patents/US1454304

Before that it was a free for all in construction and interfacing, although none were lined. The interfacing's ranged from thick wools to mohair cloth (like that used for jackets). And the construction methods where experimental. The tips where still stitched over minus the selvedge being used as a finish.

The first lined neckties appeared in the late 1920s and they used fine thin silk, these where considered a luxury item and some were stamped inside declaring them so.

Last edited:
Are you guys talking about interfacing or lining?

lining is just a cover

interfacing is to hold the shape

Palm beach did this to keep their neckties "cooler" but made up for it with their patented "4 fold" construction. this patented construction method used stacking of the cloth to give the necktie substance and keep its shape.

The resilient construction neckties ("depression" ties) where a new and improved way of making neckties. And not necessarily a way to make them cheaper, they have been around since 1923. Essentially the perfected way to make a necktie

http://www.google.com/patents/US1454304

Before that it was a free for all in construction and interfacing, although none were lined. The interfacing's ranged from thick wools to mohair cloth (like that used for jackets). And the construction methods where experimental.

The first lined neckties appeared in the late 1920s and they used fine thin silk, these where considered a luxury item and some were stamped inside declaring them so.

I was waiting for someone to mention the difference between interfacing and lining. :p Yes, what you have put forward are all good points.
Before resilient construction ties, you will see ties that are now a mess after years of use they frayed and fell apart. The extra stitching and reinforcement made all the difference. That is the reason we can still enjoy them today. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24