Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a suit for prohibition Murder Mystery party

tazunemono

New in Town
Hello All,

This is my first post, so go easy on me! I'd like to ask a question about 1920's-1930's style formal dress, as I'm attending a murder mystery party in May, and I'd like to spend some time and $$ putting together a solid outfit. My character is an "influential congressman" who's educated, upper class and for some reason, single.

I have been looking at tux's, but I think a suit might be better. I have a nice collection of accouterments to accompany the outfit, such as a pocket watch, fedora, etc.

I've read on this site that a pinstripe suit, peak lapel style jacket with baggy pants and a vest would be appropriate. My problem is I don't know where to shop for a suit like this. I've tried EBay, but I didn't find anything like I wanted. I have found several other examples on the net, for example:

http://www.american-vintage.net/msuits.html
The third suit down is very nice.

If you could give me some help finding an appropriate suit, I'd appreciate it. My budget is less than $200.

BTW: I'm really glad I found this site, being a huge fan and collector and aficionado of art deco, 30's design, detective fiction and antiques in general. Hercule Poirot is my favorite British (and most well dressed) detective, although he's a bit of a "dandy". I've always loved the way the BBC portray the people and clothing from that period.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Hey there, and welcome to the board! If you could post your suit size perhaps some of us could help you out a little more...

*edit* by the way, how on many people are going to be attending said party, it sounds like a blast

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the board! There was another post in the last day or two where someone found a doublebreasted suit from Penney's for under $200 - here's a link. It's on sale right now under $200 and already limited in some sizes, so you'd better move fast. That's probably going to be your best bet. Not to rain on your parade, but finding a true vintage or vintage-looking suit on that budget would be a miracle, especially under the gun of the timeframe.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Good pick - a ventless DB that buttons at the waist is a basic '30s look, and rare in this price range. (Most popular priced DBs button at the bottom only.)

The navy stripe would be a distinguished look, but the charcoal stripe would be a more typical vintage look, with the herringbone pattern in. (Unfortunately that color is sold out in Long rise trousers, which would be your best bet for a vintage feel and fit.)

A vest was often worn even with the DB jacket (rarely done today). Unfortunately JCPenney has gotten rid of the vest option. Trou should have a cuff, a fairly thick one.

A politician who wished to appear powerful and refined might select a colored or striped shirt with a white (maybe spread) collar and a finely-patterned tie or bowtie, like a polkadot or foulard.

Suspenders and a pocket hankey are definitely recommended as well, and hopefully you have a good pair of black laceup shoes.

let us know what size you're looking for, and we might be able to help. I know of one eBay suit right now that would fit the bill of the third one down to a tee. Is this about the size you're looking for? Of course, the one i'm talking about isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of the one on the site (that is an absurdly high quality early 30s suit, and incredibly rare this side of the pond).

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And consider the indispensable prohibition accessory:
5835040.jpg

$4.99 and up.

Jovan

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
unless it looks better otherwise . . .

bk
I cannot think of a single time where someone was all buttoned up where they couldn't look better leaving a waistcoat button undone or on the traditional 6x2 DB. Obviously you'd leave all your waistcoat buttons done for formal wear.

Feraud

Bartender
I am always hearing the opinions on what buttons to button or leave undone.
:eek:fftopic: Cary Grant wears a 6 x 2 double breasted suite in Arsenic and Old Lace and leaves the top button undone for a while.

Faux pas or trendsetter?....

tazunemono

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
let us know what size you're looking for, and we might be able to help. I know of one eBay suit right now that would fit the bill of the third one down to a tee. Is this about the size you're looking for? Of course, the one i'm talking about isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of the one on the site (that is an absurdly high quality early 30s suit, and incredibly rare this side of the pond).

bk

I'm 42 Jacket size, 24" sleeve

Pants are 36" waist, 30" inseam

And consider the indispensable prohibition accessory:

Haha, of course, I forgot! I have 4 or 5 different flasks that were groomsman's gifts.

I have a friend who is a really good seamstress, so if I need any alterations they won't be too much of a problem (and won't cut into my budget!)

I like Inspector Japp's suit in the fiorst pic, and the style of Poirot's in the second:

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
As a rule of thumb (and common sense) I leave the bottom buttons on any kind of jacket or waistcoat undone, unless of course it's an overcoat.
I have to ask, how is leaving the bottom buttons undone common sense?
It appears more of what you noted as a rule or thumb, trend, or personal style choice rather than a true necessity. Unless we are talking about someone who needs their waistcoat let out and has not made time to see their tailor. :)

tazunemono

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

Can you give me a link to the suit you are talking about? PM me.

Suspenders and a pocket hankey are definitely recommended as well, and hopefully you have a good pair of black laceup shoes.

I have several different styles, most are more modern. I do have one pair of plain lace-up black leather shoes, they have a smooth toe cap and 5 eyelets. Can't remember who made them but they are very nice. Would a wing tip style shoe be more authentic (all one color, not b/w)?

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud said:
I have to ask, how is leaving the bottom buttons undone common sense?
It appears more of what you noted as a rule or thumb, trend, or personal style choice rather than a true necessity. Unless we are talking about someone who needs their waistcoat let out and has not made time to see their tailor. :)
Trust me, if you saw all the guys here who button up ALL THREE BUTTONS of their jackets all the time, you would agree. (Additionally, it's always the really short guys here who wear three buttons.) It looks bloody awful. Now I don't mind the waistcoat thing so much, but that also looks better if you leave the bottom undone.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
Trust me, if you saw all the guys here who button up ALL THREE BUTTONS of their jackets all the time, you would agree. (Additionally, it's always the really short guys here who wear three buttons.) It looks bloody awful. Now I don't mind the waistcoat thing so much, but that also looks better if you leave the bottom undone.
Now it makes perfect sense! :)

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Any classic shoe will fit!

tazunemono said:
I have several different styles, most are more modern. I do have one pair of plain lace-up black leather shoes, they have a smooth toe cap and 5 eyelets. Can't remember who made them but they are very nice. Would a wing tip style shoe be more authentic (all one color, not b/w)?
I would think that almost any shoe would be fine, as long as the toe isn't square or elongated. Wingtips are timeless; cap-toe oxfords are a good choice as well. Spectator shoes are for extra detail, but good quality ones might be a stretch if budget is an issue. Whatever shoe you choose, I would think leather soles, rather than rubber, would be more period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats