Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a suit for prohibition Murder Mystery party

Jovan

Suspended
They're called brogues! Wingtips are a collar! :rage:

anonymous-union-jack-5000572.jpg

tazunemono said:
Can you give me a link to the suit you are talking about? PM me.

I can, but the auction ended last night. I tried to get it on a lowball bid, but was outbid. It was probably a size too small for you, anyway:

Seems that now is the time to find good cheap vintage (in many different sizes, not only small, gents) on the Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260086490693&rd=1&rd=1

bk

p.s. No PMs for you until a few more posts. There is a milestone you need to reach before you can receive PMs(maybe 15?).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Faugh!

Jovan said:
They're called brogues! Wingtips are a collar! :rage:
Only to the pimply youth behind the counter at Shiny Sid's Rent-a-Tuxx! It's a wing, period--uh, space--collar!

And brogues are big potatoey shoes with a welted edge! Wingtips can be slender and delicate as you please! Lookit!
MO0116_prod.jpg

Moreschi "Sorini"

So phhbbthh!!1 :p :rolleyes: ;) lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Baron, naturally I defer to you on matters Celtic. I hadn't heard of "broguing" (well I had, only it was punching or medallioning to me).

Perhaps I'm confusing brogues with brogans, which I learned as basically a big tough gunboat of a shoe.

Serves me right pbbtthh-ing and faughing on the Lounge, eh?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
BK is partially correct--brogueing refers to the decorative hole punching.

Usage of the term "brogue" varies slightly among makers, but, generally, it's short for "full brogue," which is a shoe with a wing tip that has brogueing on the toe, sides, throat, and heels. Here's Cleverley's interpretation of a full brogue:

Cleverley_black_full_brogue.jpg

A semi-brogue or half brogue is a shoe, usually with a brogued and medallioned cap toe, that may or may not have brogueing on the sides, throat, heels, or any combination of the above. Here is Cleverley's version of the sem-brogue (I have seen shoes with less brogueing still referred to as half- or semi-brogues):

cleverley_black_semi_brogue.jpg

So, when a shoe is referred to as a "brogue," it usually means a wingtip shoe with all-over brogueing. And, FWIW, wingtip is a perfectly acceptable term for those of us on this side of the Atlantic.

My father tells me the Gaelic word for accent is brogue.

Re: Poirot's vests: Do you mean the bottom shot? I don't think that's two vests, looks like shadowing.

Hastings' suits are almost certainly vintage. but then again, they might just be great repops too.

Look how badly fitting Japp's waistcoat is, too. A nice touch by the wardrobe dept.

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just thought of something

(not to do with shoes, either)

If you're looking at the on-sale suit separates I linked to earlier, be aware that the vests are 5 button and semi-low-cut. They aren't meant to be worn under a DB jacket and might not be visible unless shortened at the shoulders.

'S what you get for fighting the trends.

Actually,

'Broguing' comes from the cockney slang of 'Shut your brogan' which had sprung from 'Shut your Hogan.' 'Hogan', of course, came from the WWII comedy 'Hogan's Heroes', which, certainly featured a lot Germans with machine guns. And what do machine guns do? Make a lot of holes in people, of course! Thus, broguing came to mean perforating with holes. Howzzat for an explanation?

Regards,

SJ

Jovan

Suspended
Orgetorix said:
And, FWIW, wingtip is a perfectly acceptable term for those of us on this side of the Atlantic.
Yeesh... I was only messing around. I wouldn't SERIOUSLY put a Union Jack in a post just because I feel British dialect is correct (which it is :p).

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Re: Poirot's vests: Do you mean the bottom shot? I don't think that's two vests, looks like shadowing.

I mean the top shot. Unless I'm mad, it looks like he's wearing a higher, lapel-less vest underneath a lower one with lapels. If not, what are the dark v-shaped lines that come together right above his watch chain?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats