Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a suit for prohibition Murder Mystery party

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
Howzzat for an explanation?

brogues evolved centuries ago among irish and scottish farmers who decorated their shoes with patterns of holes. the holes had a function: to allow the insides of waterlogged shoes to dry out quicker. the patterning then caught on with gamekeepers in england. soon the holes no longer went right through the shoe but only the top leather and became purely decorative. by the beginning of the 20th century they were a popular golf shoe. they took off in the 30s when (guess who) the prince of wales took to wearing a more formal version on social occassions.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
So saying "wingtip brogues" would be considered redundant?

In common usage, yes. They're basically equivalent terms, so using them together would be sorta redundant.

Technically, though, you could have a wingtip shoe with no brogueing. Allen-Edmonds has a double-wingtip shoe with no brogueing in the Spring 07 issue of Shoe Wrap, its newsletter for AE vendors. Ugly thing, but I'm sure some will find it appealing if it ever sees production.

So if you said "wingtip brogues," anyone who knows what the terms mean could think you were just being ultra-precise, rather than foolishly redundant. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Thbdeethbdeebthdb-that's awl, folks!
Lt-porkydaffy-color3.jpg

tazunemono

New in Town
The screencaps are from 'Evil Under the Sun'. Here's a link to the Poirot episodes:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0094525/episodes#season-1

I have been slowly and methodically reading and watching all of the Poirot mysteries and giving my little grey cells a workout. When I received my invite to the murder mystery party, my thought immediately gravitated towards the stylings of Poirot and his contemporaries. I wish I had more grounding in the American hard-boiled style of detective fiction, but my only experience with that would be "The Maltese Falcon".

After I finish the Poirot series, I'll probably move onto early 20th century American detective fiction. Sadly, the only detectives I can associate with from America include Angela Landsbury, Matlock, Perry Mason, Magnum PI and the characters from CSI (which I don't really watch anymore).

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Just a thought re Poirot

Do you think that with all the clobber he wears he might hold up the rest of the family from using the bathroom? The moustaki thing alone must take how long????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats