Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Dean Martin recommendation!

Heather

Practically Family
So I'll be going shopping this weekend and I want to pick up some new cd's to add to my iPod. I've always liked Dean Martin (makes me think of my grandfather who was also a big fan...in fact, I've always thought they looked similar) and I thought it was about time I added some of his music to my collection. What would be a good album for someone just starting there collection?

I have one that is from his Capitol recordings but can't find it listed. If you go to Amazon and put in the search box "Dean Martin Capitol" or "Reprise" it should list some compolations that will give you a good mix of hits. If not then search for "Dean Martin Best" or "Dean Martin Collection" these will also be compolation cds to choose from. His career spans decades you'll have to decide what era you want to get if you want to narrow the time frame.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I have "Dino: The Essential Dean Martin". Great Album, I really like it.

13714902.jpg

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?WRK=8687876
scroll down the link and you can sample some of the tracks

Bluebird

New in Town
I agree with Flat-top. Winter Romance is one of my fave Dino albums, kinda Christmassy but worth it. I;ll have to go digging out my grams old albums that I inherited, she had lots of Dino (and Frank and Nat and...)lol

Heather

Practically Family
I ended up going with "Dino: The Essential Dean Martin". I'll def. have to check out "Winter Romance" when I order Bing Crosby's "WhiteChristmas" on cd. It's a childhood fave that I have on vinyl but yet to get a record player. lol

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Serial Hero said:
I have "Dino: The Essential Dean Martin". Great Album, I really like it.

13714902.jpg

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?WRK=8687876
scroll down the link and you can sample some of the tracks

I love Dean and I second this CD too!! Its got his best known - but after I started listening to him, I bought more of his stuff after!

I also love his Christmas one!

I also have this one that I like too:

41CSF7F1YQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And one of my very favorites:
41M7EZ2BK7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not Much singing but a good laugh!!!! (This version seems to not be available anymore - instead seems to now be:
51EWRoIlQYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I like the live one - as I said, the singing he does do, he actually changes the words and makes jokes, but you can just put it on, sit back with a drink of your own and just listen!

I like to listen to it at work!!

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
you can't go wrong with the greatest hits.
I like a lot of the tracks on "Italian Love Songs", personally. But if you're just getting into a musician, i say greatest hits!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Heather said:
So I'll be going shopping this weekend and I want to pick up some new cd's to add to my iPod. I've always liked Dean Martin (makes me think of my grandfather who was also a big fan...in fact, I've always thought they looked similar) and I thought it was about time I added some of his music to my collection. What would be a good album for someone just starting there collection?

When ever I buy CD's of any musician, I just get "Greatest Hits" or "Best of".

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you have the iPod, why buy CD's? Check iTunes first - you can hear snippets of each song, you can buy full albums for $9.99 (usually cheaper than buying at the local CD distributor) or so, and if there are songs you don't like on a particular album or albums, you can just buy the songs you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff