Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help deciding on a Schott!

Pubstout

Familiar Face
Years ago I had a 613 and I found it to be a solid winter jacket but just too stinking hot in the summer. Traded that for a HH Schott, wish I could remember the model number as it reminded me of the Aero bootlegger but with fancy silver button snaps. The HH was really thin and just plain too shiny - my wife said it looked like a trash bag... off that one went and I've had a gazillion differ t jackets along the way. What I'm wanting help with is that I'm looking for something somewhat lightweight that I can bear to stuck in summer traffic in. We don't have a lot of hot days here in the PNW but when we do, Murphy's law says that I'll get stuck in massive traffic on the Highway at noon. ;) I've been looking at the 626 being a lighter leather with a pretty light liner. I have just come upon the 519 though and it looks to be a much better jacket. That quilt lining has me a tad worried that it's not going great for summer riding.
Anyone have either of those jackets that can chime in?

Edward

Bartender
Never owned one of those specific models. I do have a 618 - midweight steer with quilt lining. Definitely too much for sitting around on a hot Summer day, though fine on the back of a bike at moderate speeds in the same weather. Not sure I'd want to wear a lighter leather than that on a bike unless it was aromoured; woith the Schott not having any other protection built in, you're dependent on the leather itself saving you from a knock impact as well as the roadrash. Personal choice, though! TBH, if I were looking for a lightweight bike jacket for Summer wear, I'd be looking at something in a cordura or keval-lined denim or something breathable like that which would be better with avoiding the roadrash than many light commercial leathers, as well as more bearable in the heat. YMMV, though! Hopefully you'll never need your jacket for protection, though - ride safe! :)

01flhr

One of the Regulars
There are so many great looking riding jackets, why limit to just schott? Nothing against schott but vanson makes great jackets with armor if you want it and perforated panels

Pubstout

Familiar Face
There are so many great looking riding jackets, why limit to just schott? Nothing against schott but vanson makes great jackets with armor if you want it and perforated panels
I've had a few Vanson's (Chopper and enfield) and so far they just haven't fit me well. Seem to be made for a more 'stout' person.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Then i would probably give bates or z custom a call. Theyre on your side of things and couldnt hurt to try. Z does make a chp style jacket that they could base off of, but its not in their catalog. Either one is a custom maker and will accomodate whatever you want for about the price of a schott. When i mentioned z to one of the guys at langlitz he even said his z suit was top notch. Again, im not trying to talk you out of a schott, i just feel that there are better options in leather riding gear

Neither one of the jackets you mention are actually meant for legitimate road use. They are fashion jackets and are simply not cut for it, and are not of significant strength, to be considered protective gear. I had an anniversary "100 years" perfecto that was the precursor to the jackets you mentioned and while it was quite nice and fit very well for social wear, it would have offered the same protection on a bike as a lambskin jacket. It was nice leather but would shred under the pavement grind in a worst case scenario. It's not to say you couldn't use the 626 or 519 on a bike but I don't see much function in either design...they're meant for looking cool at the bar. I'd seriously look at other Schott models or as mentioned Vanson, Johnson, Langlitz, Hillside etc. for true dedicated riding leathers.
Edward makes a good point too. Synthetics for less heat retention will likely trump any leather.

Edward

Bartender
If you need a fairly pronounced drop from shoulders to waist, Schott don't tend in my experience to do cuts like that. Could be worth trying Aero - they have a wdie range of bike jackets with varying cuts - their Perfecto type I know has a very pronounced drop from chest to waist, or at least it had ten years ago (I had one which in a size 42 dropped from about a 46" in the chest to around 36" in the waist, more than the drop in a 30s Halfbelt! Speak to them, though, as they may have updatec or altered patterns since 2012).

If you want a lighter bike jacket, I'd consider talking to Aero about one in goat. Goat is the perfect combination of being much lighter and one of the more abrasion resistant hides, which is why it is commonly used in motorcycle gloves. Only Roo beats it, I believe, for lightness and abrasion resistance in one package.

Go for a cotton liner for a lighter jacket - all other thins being equal, a breathable liner will help keep you much cooler than a nylon or other manmade textile.

Another option is to go for a non-leather jacket - either a classic, wax-cotton belted style or something in cordura... I've been halfway tempted by a Mascot Hi-Flyer cordura as a potential riding jacket for hot weather https://www.mascotleathers.com/jackets

On the non-leather front I'm also eying up one of these: the SJC Yard Boss denim jacket with bike-friendly Kevlar lining.

sjc+kevlar+lined+yard+boss+biker+jacket+inside.jpg

Lovely bit of kit. I'm not sure if Simon has any of these in stock at present; I'm trying to talk him into donig another run with pockets for CE armour at the back / shoulders / elbow. That would be perfect for hot and dry weather riding...

Why not give one of the Vanson sportrider jackets a chance? These fit really well. I've had a Manx or another... True riding jacket! Which is exactly what it sounds you need. I heard only good things about Hillside and I know for a fact that Fox Creek makes a really great motorcycle jacket at a great price. Langlitz will make you a great jacket as well but it's gonna cost a lot.

Other than that, all leather will be equally warm or cold and it's only the liner that makes a difference. And don't go lightweight if you're gonna wear the jacket on a bike. The heavier, the better. These things save lives.

Pubstout

Familiar Face
Then i would probably give bates or z custom a call. Theyre on your side of things and couldnt hurt to try. Z does make a chp style jacket that they could base off of, but its not in their catalog. Either one is a custom maker and will accomodate whatever you want for about the price of a schott. When i mentioned z to one of the guys at langlitz he even said his z suit was top notch. Again, im not trying to talk you out of a schott, i just feel that there are better options in leather riding gear
I will definitely check these guys out

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I looked at z, bates, and vanson for a jacket. I thought about aero but they dont come off as a real ridibg jacket. More of a high quality casual jacket and i just dont really like the way anything ive seen from johnson presents itself. Bates and z both make custom suits that are made for racing. They just also happen to make jackets. Adolph at z answered all my questions very quickly and i have no doubt that i would have been happy with their jacket at around 900$. Bates has made some really awesome jackets for movies and they also make leathers that people race in. If you look at the drag race circuit, theyre very popular. I asked both companies if they could do certain things and the response was always along the lines of we make our jackets to your measurements from the start and since its custom for you we can do whatever youd like. Nothing is pre made. By the time a vanson was custom ordered i was within a stones throw of a langlitz, so, june 16th is my production date with langlitz. I simply decided i only live once and wanted to go for the best. I still toss around going with z but im already on the wait list, and they gaurantee ill love it. Some bates work is the t1 and t2 jackets, wolverine, and a bunch more. The only one i can think of off the top of my head for z is the harley davidson and marlboro man jacket mickey rourke wore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner