Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help finding a panama hat

HungaryTom

One Too Many
bobalooba said:
so should I buy the most expensive one I can afford?

This is what I did with my money - I got the Montecristi bug...

With your money it is your decision.

I also got a nice airy cheap Cuenca which is a useful nice summer hat.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have Optimo (style) hats from both Panama bob and panamahatsdirect and would recommend both. I would go for the sub fino, fino, or medio fino. Remember the higher the WPSI (weaves per square inch) the floppier the hat gets (and I personally cant stand a overly floppy hat.) If you go for a Panama Bob hat I would also recommend getting it USA blocked.

Johnny
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19789&page=12&highlight=panama
Halfway down the page you can see my hats.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I too cannot abide floppy hats so I'll take your advice.

I've decided on the cuenca trilby style from panama direct. since it's only forty eight dollars I will get it and see if I even like myself in a panama style hat and I will upgrade later, thanks for all your help guys.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
johnnycanuck said:
I have Optimo (style) hats from both Panama bob and panamahatsdirect and would recommend both. I would go for the sub fino, fino, or medio fino. Remember the higher the WPSI (weaves per square inch) the floppier the hat gets (and I personally cant stand a overly floppy hat.) If you go for a Panama Bob hat I would also recommend getting it USA blocked.

Johnny
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19789&page=12&highlight=panama
Halfway down the page you can see my hats.

Thank You for that bit of info... I did not know about the floppy hat.....

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
bobalooba said:
I too cannot abide floppy hats so I'll take your advice.

I've decided on the cuenca trilby style from panama direct. since it's only forty eight dollars I will get it and see if I even like myself in a panama style hat and I will upgrade later, thanks for all your help guys.

That is the exact hat I ordered also:D .. I guess I got lucky, cause I didn't know about the floppy hat part and I don't like floppy, soft and pliable is ok just not floppy......

That website is loaded with info, I spent quite some time learning there. I called them about 3 times before ordering and each and every time whoever answered was very nice and spent some time answering my questions.

They even told me to put in the comments section when ordering brim size etc and they would go through all the Cuenca's until they found one that matched... Sent me emails every step of the way, my hat is on it's way to me now and according to them, it should be here by This Thursday..

This will be my learning Panama and if I like it, I can always go back and get a nicer one later....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would suggest that first time hat buyers make their way to a well stocked hat shop and try on dozens of different styled hats. It's really the best way to determine which hat dimensions best suit your physical person and sartorial style. Once you've made that determination. the Internet is your oyster.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
that's how I got my homburg, I went to bernie utz down in seattle, told them my budget and what style/color I wanted and they measured me and whipped out all my possibilities.

This won't be my first hat, just my first panama.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I would suggest that first time hat buyers make their way to a well stocked hat shop and try on dozens of different styled hats. It's really the best way to determine which hat dimensions best suit your physical person and sartorial style. Once you've made that determination. the Internet is your oyster.

I would love to do that... I can't find any kind of hat shop let alone a well stocked one in the Pittsburgh area:mad:

Now Baseball cap stores are absolutely everywhere ....

I even posted here for anyone who might know of a hat store in and around Pittsburgh .. no luck :(

Don't mind this post, I am just ranting at Pittsburgh for their cap phobia and not a hat collector around lol

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Ordinary Guy said:
I would love to do that... I can't find any kind of hat shop let alone a well stocked one in the Pittsburgh area:mad:

Now Baseball cap stores are absolutely everywhere ....

I even posted here for anyone who might know of a hat store in and around Pittsburgh .. no luck :(

Don't mind this post, I am just ranting at Pittsburgh for their cap phobia and not a hat collector around lol

How is it that they have a cap phobia if all they have is cap stores? Is it a typo?

1OldGI

Familiar Face
Panama Inbound

I just ordered a Cuenca Havana from panamahatsdirect.com. Casey seems like a good guy and the price was certainly reasonable. The hat should be on my spud on or about mid month. If I like it, I plan to upgrade to an Optimo in sub fino or fino next spring.

yoonie

Familiar Face
From what I hear, the finest panamas aren't made with durability in mind. For me, that was a HUGE concern. I have no problem spending 300+ on a felt hat that I feel will last 30+ years (though I haven't), but when it comes to panamas that can be destroyed by rain, I tend to be a lot stingier. You say you want to spend 150 or so, but I think that assumes a certain amount of durability. I would hate to see a post in a few months saying "got caught in the rain- is my 200 dollar panama salvagable?"

If i'm way off in my opinions, please let me know. I've bought an akubra capricorn for the reasons I mentioned (durability it a major concern), but am still curious about higher quality panama hats.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, yoonie raises a good point. Although I have never seen such a thread as the hypothetical one he typed, it is somehow, common knowledge that Panamas are not rain hats. But when I think of them in their original applications I think of hot, super-humid, sweaty environments where tropical deluges are commonplace. Would these hats have really gained such famed popularity and long-lived production if they fell apart when worn in the areas where they are/were used most?

Now I have some beauties. All old and bought well from Ebay auctions. I have limited knowledge of straws but from reading about them here and studying them in person I can tell that at least three of these are fine hats. I intend to wear all of them, the good, the bad, and the ugly ones in the swiftly upcoming summer. Florida is famous for afternoon thunderstorms and I'm outside every day as a vendor at an attraction.

SO, should I plan on having my hats ruined? Really? Or is it that they have this reputation because they are just not as useful as rain protection as felt hats?

Those in the know, please do tell.

yoonie

Familiar Face
I'm very curious too! I love fine menswear from when the quality of mens clothing was still an issue. Like gene said, I'm always surprised when I hear that panamas fall apart in rain(commonly used during the construction of the panama canal, no less, where rain is commonly an issue). Because the results were unanimous, and my wallet was complaining under the weight of some surprise headwear, I chose a polypro hat, the akubra capricorn.

Though to be fair, I imagine that the average man who wore a fine panama in yesteryear was in the city or something, so that he didn't expect to have to STAY in the rain.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Panama hats and rain

yoonie said:
I'm very curious too! I love fine menswear from when the quality of mens clothing was still an issue. Like gene said, I'm always surprised when I hear that panamas fall apart in rain(commonly used during the construction of the panama canal, no less, where rain is commonly an issue). Because the results were unanimous, and my wallet was complaining under the weight of some surprise headwear, I chose a polypro hat, the akubra capricorn.

Though to be fair, I imagine that the average man who wore a fine panama in yesteryear was in the city or something, so that he didn't expect to have to STAY in the rain.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/panamas.html
QUOTE:
Panama hats are designed for protection from the sun. Do not wear them in the rain, and do not store them near the rear window of a car or truck, where they would bake in the sun.
END OF QUOTE

Illustrations:
http://www.eclipsemagazine.co.uk/userfiles/image/August Mag Photos/choc-brolly-extended-BIG.jpg

http://www.selvedge-drygoods.org/images/cmsUploads/products/Cote Bastide/Umbrella_hat.jpg
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20117/20117-h/images/illus_0408-1.jpg
http://www.stamps-auction.com/pics/g0813.jpg

San Diego's Panama-California Exposition (1915-1916)
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/pancal/expo/schel75.jpg

Rather than this:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2008-02/28/xinsrc_4220205281530890115994.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the post, Tom - and for dropping me a note relaying your experiences. Seems I'll need to keep my kangaroo leather rain/hiking beater handy in my gig box so I can bag up the straw and switch to something that can take the rain when it comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic