Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help in Disney unit insignia identification...

polak187

New in Town
I'm working on some designs for a patch my medic unit here in Brooklyn. I work for FDNY. I was always fascinated with Disney WWII cartoon based insignia and was thinking of using one of them for our new station patch. Reason I want to identify unit that was carrying them is to find out more about its history and if the unit is still active ask for permission. Insignia in mind:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/disney-wwii-insiginia-pluto-nurse-medical-unit

Thank you gents and ladies for your help.

p51

One Too Many
DO NOT USE A DISNEY ANYTHING IN ANY DESIGNS!
Disney has teams of lawyers (one of them is a pal of mine) and they will go anywhere to squash anyone using Disney art or characters for any reasons. It doesn't matter how small the use is. Trust me on this.
Disney managed to hold copyrights to many of their insignia, even after the war, so my advice is to drop your idea and forget you ever thought about it...

polak187

New in Town
p51 said:
DO NOT USE A DISNEY ANYTHING IN ANY DESIGNS!
Disney has teams of lawyers (one of them is a pal of mine) and they will go anywhere to squash anyone using Disney art or characters for any reasons. It doesn't matter how small the use is. Trust me on this.
Disney managed to hold copyrights to many of their insignia, even after the war, so my advice is to drop your idea and forget you ever thought about it...

Hmmm few of our companies are using their characters w/o problems... but there is always plan B.

Davep

One of the Regulars
It's one thing if you made one patch for yourself. The problem is with exposure. You have to involve a company to make the patches, so there is exposure. Next is the guys in your unit, wearing them, there is more exposure. Finally New York is a very popular place, so there is the potential for media exposure.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Curious

Oddly enough, I found the picture in the book “Disney, Dons Dogtags, The best of Disney military insignia from World War II” but it is the only picture on the page that does not have a title. So, now I am interested in which unit this is and if they still exist.[huh]

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I second avoiding Disney. They're psycho about copy right. Kids on the internet are using small clips to make music videos at NO profit,that only advertises Disney movies, and are being contacted and threatened with law suits if they don't take them down.

Disney is the mafia I swear lol

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I have actual experience with this...

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Contact the Disney Archivist (info below).
  2. Ask for permission to use the design for your SPECIFIC purpose; or
  3. Ask them to create a similar design that you can use.
Given that your are a FDNY unit, I think you might have a decent chance of getting them to allow you a VERY limited use license. It would, of course, contain the Disney name and copyright (as did most during WWII), but it would be much better to ASK than to just start using it. AND, you might well luck out and get them to do an original design just for your unit.

Cheers and good luck!

Snail Mail Contact Info for the Archivist:

Mr. Robert Tieman
Manager, Walt Disney Archives
500 So. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-1200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael