Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help: Suggestions on a Safety Razor

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
@Cooperson, unfortunately like so many other things I adopt, I suspect you are correct.

I think the most challenging thing for me at first will mastering the angle of the blade.

Thanks,

Dave

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Finding the correct angle shouldn't be a problem. If you just pay attention to the sound and feel of the blade, you'll find it pretty quickly.

Feraud

Bartender
Just to add onto the last 2 posts, Bath&Bodyworks C.O.Bigelow cream is Proraso cream from Italy, re-packaged. Wonderful stuff. The round Proraso container in my picture is their "soap". I found the cream in the tube a little easeir to learn to use.

That is correct. Keep an eye open for sales at B&Bworks. They frequently have deep discounts. I am still working through the three or four tubes I purchased over a year ago.
The Proraso/Bigelow cream is refreshingly cool and perfect for summer shaves.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Finding the correct angle for the blade isn't difficult at all. As already mentioned, pay attention to sound of the blade as is cuts the whiskers and the feel of the blade across the skin - once you've felt it, you will know. I'd be very surprised if you didn't have down by the second shave :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I purchased a Gillette Super Speed with blue tip; it should arrive in the mail on Monday or Tuesday.

Where can one buy a blade sampler, and which one should I buy?

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
I've had good service from www.shoeboxshaveshop.com and www.bullgooseshaving.net and they both carry blade sampler packs. I started out with a sampler pack, but as I was getting better at using the razor, it seemed as if each blade I tried was better than the previous one. I ended up just buying a pack of Derbys, and using them for a month before I went back to the sampler pack. I had to sort of establish a baseline to compare the samples to. I realize that flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but there it is.

Feraud

Bartender
I purchased a Gillette Super Speed with blue tip; it should arrive in the mail on Monday or Tuesday.

Where can one buy a blade sampler, and which one should I buy?
By all means visit Pasteur Pharmacy! There are two locations in Manhattan and you will be amazed at their selection of blades and shaving creams.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I work on 34th Street and squeeze into that location on a regular basic. I wondered though if I shouldn't follow the advice of so many and buy a sampler pack to see what works best for me (I'm guessing Pasteur doesn't offer those). I'm not sure I'll really be able to tell the difference between various blades, though.

Feraud

Bartender
O.k, I'm not sure if Pasteur offers sample packs..

If you don't think you can tell the difference between the different blades I suggest starting with a pack of Feather or Derby and working through them. The minor differences in brand sharpness won't make much of a difference at this point. Enjoy the new shaver!

bsaguy

New in Town
Go vintage!! You can find Gillettes from the 1920's through the 1970's for $10-$20 all day long. Clean 'em up, sterilize with a bath in rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and you're good to go. I used canned shaving cream for a whie, but you can get a boar brush for $20, soap for a few bucks, blades are about 25 cents each, and you're set.

Much more satisfying and a far better shave than cartridge razors.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Go vintage!! You can find Gillettes from the 1920's through the 1970's for $10-$20 all day long. Clean 'em up, sterilize with a bath in rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and you're good to go. I used canned shaving cream for a whie, but you can get a boar brush for $20, soap for a few bucks, blades are about 25 cents each, and you're set.

Much more satisfying and a far better shave than cartridge razors.

I agree. I have several vintage Gillettes, but my favorite (and the only one I use now) is a Red Tip Super Speed as:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d19f50e94

I bought 100 Derby Blades for $10 off ebay.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Finding the correct angle for the blade isn't difficult at all. As already mentioned, pay attention to sound of the blade as is cuts the whiskers and the feel of the blade across the skin - once you've felt it, you will know. I'd be very surprised if you didn't have down by the second shave :)

If only, I've been using a double edge job for a few months and I still cut myself all the time. My dad used one from 1935 to 1975 and he regularly nicked himself. Electric razors are his favorite modern invention. I'm still trying to get the DE to work for me because I love how cheap they are.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
to be completely honest I'd go with a vintage razor, they are readily available on Ebay etc usually cheaper than their modern counterparts and always better made, look at Badger & Blade or The Shaving Room or any of the other shaving forums, blades are readily available as are brushes and shaving soaps etc, for blades it's very much user choice I prefer Rapira blades over everything else including Feathers ,coupled with a decent old 'open comb' by Gillette or similar it gives a great shave!

icecycle

New in Town
A couple of months ago I got the bug to expand my safety razor collection beyond my single Gillette (black beauty) which I got as a gift when about age 16, more than a few decades ago. I began searching ebay and managed to get, along with a vintage Gillette and a Star, a Gem Micromatic. I paid about $9.00. Then I needed blades, and contacted various vendors including Ted Pella, which some had recommended. I received the following e-mail response to an enquiry about buying blades, "Dear Sir, Thank you for your product inquiry. We are in the scientific field for electron microscopy and not in the business of supplying razor blades for shaving. Best Regards, Christel Pella International Division Ted Pella, Inc." I suppose that some companies have standards about who they sell too. Then I though what the h- e- double hockey sticks, I live in Canada, I wonder if anyone in "my home and native land" sells single edge blades. Sure enough I discovered Hendler's Enterprises in Port Hope. They not only were willing to have me as a customer, but charged $14.99 CND for a box of 100 Gem Personna Stainless and Coated blades. I bought 2 boxes, or 200 blades, was charged $9.00 for postage. Now here is the amazing thing. I spoke to Pat Bennett at Hendler's at about 1:00, and the next day, though I live in Quebec, there were the razor blades in my mail box!

Dr Roly

New in Town
Thanks to all who replied.

This is what I decided to get as my first kit:
1.Edwin Jagger DE 89811 with iKON Bulldog Handle
2. Simpson's Duke D3 Best Badger Brush
3. Muhle RHM SR Set Razor Stand
4. Simpson's Shaving Mug
5. Vulfix Ceramic Classic Shaving Mug
6. Osma's Alum Block
7. Truefitt & Hill Balm
8. Assorted Soaps: Mama Bear's Aged Spice, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac
9. Proraso Nick Sealer
10.DE Blade Sampler

Hoping that this will last me for some time and be more satisfying and less expensive over time than plastic throw away cartridges.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dave

That is a great setup. You have three of the best soaps available and Truefitt products are superb. You can't go wrong with the DE89. For a great blade to match the DE89 Google "Personna Israeli Red"

One area you may want to upgrade in the future is moving to a silver tip brush. Nothing wrong with best, but a silver tip would be the finishing touch to your kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran