Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help! With New Aero Hercules FQHH

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Ok, I'm new to ordering custom leather jackets, this is my first so I need some help.

I ordered a Hercules FQHH. I'm 5'7" with a 42" chest. My sleeve length is 24.5" these measurements were all taken from a professional tailor when I had a custom shirt made. The sleeve length was for a shirt not a jacket. I do not like overly tight fitting jackets( or any article of clothing). I want enough room in the jacket to wear a sweater or a hoodie in the winter.

When I ordered the jacket, Amanda(who is extremely helpful) suggested that I go with a sleeve length of 24.5" and no storm cuffs in the jacket.

Any thoughts? I'm a little concerned about the sleeve length, will it be long enough?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't have a tailor measure, they will measure it how they think it should be instead of how Aero recommends. If you know exactly where you want it measured just have someone draw the tape a couple times and take the median measurement. On a leather jacket I would go with longer sleeves when in doubt, if sleeves are a touch long it works out fine, if they're a touch short it looks terrible.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
@ dr. V: why not have a tailor do exactly what you suggest?

Like telling a Doctor what you think is a good medicine they should prescribe, they will nod and smile but do whatever they want because they're the professionals and you're not. You could end up with the measurement the tailor thinks is the best rather than the measurement you had in mind.

schmitty8

New in Town
Dmdmorris - I am 6'3, I have a Hercules and the sleeve is 27 inches (from shoulder seem to cuff) and it is perfect. I like it longer, so it is well past my wrist when my arms are at my side and about an inch above my knuckles. Question - what is your regular dress shirt sleeve length? For a guy who is 5'7, I am guess 24.5 is going to work well, but further guidance, I would say that will work of your sleeve length is around 33. if you have really longer arms for your height, you might want to add 1/2 inch, but guessing they will already be sufficient.

schmitty8

New in Town
also, another thing that would help aero....do you have a jacket you like in which the sleeve length is what you would like? if so, measure that and see it is it 24.5 or some other measurement. Good luck.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I'm 0.5" shorter than you. I personally would go with 25", especially if you're going to have it in FQHH. With 25" the sleeves are going to be a tad too long initially, but once the leather creases on the sleeves it will be perfect. If you were to use goatskin, which doesn't crease, I would agree with the 24.5" sleeve length.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I'm new to ordering custom leather jackets, this is my first so I need some help.

I ordered a Hercules FQHH. I'm 5'7" with a 42" chest. My sleeve length is 24.5" these measurements were all taken from a professional tailor when I had a custom shirt made. The sleeve length was for a shirt not a jacket. I do not like overly tight fitting jackets( or any article of clothing). I want enough room in the jacket to wear a sweater or a hoodie in the winter.

When I ordered the jacket, Amanda(who is extremely helpful) suggested that I go with a sleeve length of 24.5" and no storm cuffs in the jacket.

Any thoughts? I'm a little concerned about the sleeve length, will it be long enough?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Thanks to blethook and scmitty, I'm going with a 25" sleeve that way I think I will have enough room for shrinkage and to accommodate a sweater or hoodie in the winter.

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
You can always take off extra if need be, adding a deficiency is harder. I'm 5'8 and went with 26inch sleeves, I don't think my arms are unusually long but I've never thought about it either. I was a bit worried they would be too long when the jacket arrived but it was perfect for me. I think it's wise you added a bit.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Ok, here is what I have finalized on:

Hercules HeavyFQHH in Brown
No Storm Cuffs
42" Chest
Removable Brown Fur Collar
Leather 2" Interior Strip at Bottom of Jacket
Breast Pocket with zipper or Snap In Aero Shinny Brass (Not Antique)
Aero ShinyBrass zippers (Not Antique)
Sleeve Length: 25" (not 24.5")
Lining green plaid Campbell dress "Campbell Dress Modern Tartan"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo