Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some assistance here -- Good Walking shoes -- really good ones!

Wconly

Familiar Face
My wife and I are going to take our family to the 'Mouse House' -- Disney World in February of this coming year and I need some assistance here. I own, wear and have many good shoes, boots, etc., but I am thinking that for this trip I really need some good walking shoes. Shoes that are of good quality and with a great deal of support, as my feet are not as solid, as they used to be. And, my legs (especially knees) could use the best long-wearing and lasting support possible. I have, as mentioned, good stuff -- Alden 405's and the like, but I would like to find a lighter shoe (not boot) that offers this type of support -- strong shanks, etc. Any thoughts, advise, etc. would truly be appreciated. Thanks, ahead of time. Looking forward to any and all feedback here. W>

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I've worm Mephisto walking shoes for many years. Currently I have three pairs that I rotate and although they are not particularly attractive, they do provide good support.

Wconly

Familiar Face
I've worm Mephisto walking shoes for many years. Currently I have three pairs that I rotate and although they are not particularly attractive, they do provide good support.

Not looking for attractive...only great support! Do these give a good deal of arch support? As that is what I really need. Thanks. W>

Big J

Call Me a Cab
For any kind of distance walking, I would use Danner. Supportive, yet comfortable as slippers. Never any blisters, no breaking in required. Worn them for over 20 years.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You might try Wolverine 1000 mile boots. Many here, including myself have reported them being comfortable right out of the box. I have three pairs, two are Addison wing tip designee. In the dark brown, they are nice enough to pas as formal wear. I wore mine to the Morgan Adams Concours d'Elegance yesterday!

Otter

One Too Many
Some rides (Kali River Rapids and Splash Mountain) will get you wet to a lesser or greater extent. Leather may not be the best option, and some of the ride vehicles can be a little slippery as well as having water slopping around in the bottom of them. My last few trips I have used a pair of North Face Hedgehog approach trainers. Good support, goretex, light and a good grip. Most of the parks, especially Epcot involve a lot of walking.
Are you staying on property using the free dining or are you planning some nice on property meals? Some restaurants like Be Our Guest and Ohana fill up very quickly, you have to make your bookings for them about the six month mark to ensure you get the date and time you want. You can do them as a walk up but you may have to wait two hours for a no show or cancelation.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I are going to take our family to the 'Mouse House' -- Disney World in February of this coming year and I need some assistance here. I own, wear and have many good shoes, boots, etc., but I am thinking that for this trip I really need some good walking shoes. Shoes that are of good quality and with a great deal of support, as my feet are not as solid, as they used to be. And, my legs (especially knees) could use the best long-wearing and lasting support possible. I have, as mentioned, good stuff -- Alden 405's and the like, but I would like to find a lighter shoe (not boot) that offers this type of support -- strong shanks, etc. Any thoughts, advise, etc. would truly be appreciated. Thanks, ahead of time. Looking forward to any and all feedback here. W>

I've been looking for the ideal walking shoes myself, and by far the best I've found were - don't stop till you've read it all - old school mountaineering boots made by a small Italian maker named Fracap. They have a few models, and the ones I'm referring to is the one in the link below. It has a Vibram Morflex Sole which weight next to nothing, and the handsewn uppers are also rather light. The whole boot weighs even less than a normal dress shoe, it's really extremely light. I bought a whole bunch of them several years ago and I still haven't worn out the first two pairs. The Vibram Morflex Sole is surprisingly durable and does provide some grip, although it not the kind of sole you'd want for actual mountaineering on rough ground. The uppers are soft from the start; I didn't have to break in mine, the way you break in other boots. The last is wide in the forefoot, ideal for hiking. The shoes are actuall comparable to running shoes in terms of fit at the forefoot, at the ankle and the way they absorb shock.
As for sizing, they run small like other boots as compared to dress shoes. Mine are the same size as my running shoes rather than my dress shoes.
Another version of these boots has the black Vibram profile sole, which makes them much heavier, like normal boots.

Fracap boots are mainly produced for the Japanese market where they're all the rage, but a few years ago several British vendors started stocking them too. The stock usually doesn't last long, although End Clothing UK sometimes has a large and longer-lasting inventory of them. Other vendors that stocked them in the past are Oi Polloi, Triads.co.uk and a few other I can't recall.

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands/fracap/fracap-m120-natural-vibram-sole-scarponcino-boot.html

http://www.oipolloi.com/fracap-scarponcini-boot--rust

P.S.: No affiliations etc. etc.

This is my first pair, still in good shape:

XOWqpiV.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For me the Mephisto "Match" is the finest walking shoe made. That particular model offers a combination of support, cushioning, and even style although some don't like the style. A couple of the colors of the Match come in a narrow fit. It is always my default footwear when I am walking any significant distance, particularly on pavement.

IXL

One Too Many
You can also find very good footwear for walking at better camping/hiking supply stores, such as "Backwoods," found in several states. These types of stores often carry a much better class of shoe or boot.

A municipal uniform dealer should be able to put you in a pair of plain black oxfords that can stand up to 8 or 10 solid hours a day of pavement pounding. Think beat cop or letter carrier....those folks have to have decent walking shoes.

IXL

One Too Many
A municipal uniform dealer should be able to put you in a pair of plain black oxfords that can stand up to 8 or 10 solid hours a day of pavement pounding. Think beat cop or letter carrier....those folks have to have decent walking shoes.

I was going to suggest that very thing, until I realized just how cheap and shoddy most of the public-service oriented footwear is these days at all the local cop-shops. I'm sure there is still some good stuff out there but it can be a bit of a chore to find it. That's why I just got White's Smoke Jumpers, and called it a day.
Hopefully it is different in your locale.

D

Deleted member 16736

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
When I got shoes for walking at a New Balance store, the clerk (who seemed knowledgable) said walking shoes are the same as running shoes in that what you want and need is good cushioning. Anyway I got some NB's and an orthotic insole because I pronate. If you're talking more regular shoes, I like S.A.S. They're expensive, but what else is new?

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Clark's desert boots, I can walk all day in them and they're as comfortable as any shoe I've ever owned. I used to like Irish Setter oxfords, but they've changed over the years, and the new ones don't work for me.

B

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Not specifically walking boots, but the Timberland Pro Pit Boss, with the soft toecap, is very hard to beat for comfort and support.

tommyK

One Too Many
You might try Wolverine 1000 mile boots. Many here, including myself have reported them being comfortable right out of the box. I have three pairs, two are Addison wing tip designee. In the dark brown, they are nice enough to pas as formal wear. I wore mine to the Morgan Adams Concours d'Elegance yesterday!

+1

Walked around NYC all day in these, no complaints. They make some dressy versions and plain.
2014-08-07190857_zpsb3281cb3.jpg

Wconly

Familiar Face
Wow! My head is spinning from all of the great responses here! I am not certain which way to turn. While I truly was looking more at a shoe-type base, I see all these boots -- and I love boots. I think I am probably going to go with the Wolverine 1000 mile boots -- or? Still thinking. All I know is that my arches need the best support possible and I don't want to disappoint my grandchildren, my feet or -- well, you all get the idea. Thank you all so very much. I knew I was coming to the right place for advise. W>

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't walk a lot, maybe 2-3 miles a day but I only wear Blundstone boots. They work fine. I have worn them for 30 years. These days they are not as well made. Have walked many miles in them. I also have two pairs of shoes, they cost $100 a pair (which is as much as I would ever pay for footwear) they are pretty ****

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
Just remember on certain rides you WILL get wet, you MAY get soaked. If you are set on leather shoes, take a plastic bag and stick your feet in it then you have a chance of staying dry footed. Nothing saps park going morale worse than squelchy cold feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff