Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NERD ALERT PART II

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
It could still go either way, but so far it's kind of fun. Good cliffhangers, the story and the charcters are developing nicely. I'm in until I'm out.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm watching. It's pretty good overall, but some of the characters leave me cold. If it stays interesting, I'll probably keep watching...

But boy, do I miss the old standard four-acts-plus-teaser&tag format! The way this show is structured, it's got around ten commercial breaks, and it feels like four minutes of story followed by three minutes of commercials! (I haven't timed it, but that's how if feels.)

Dalexs

Practically Family
Well I can tell you that it is timed at 8 minute segments, followed by commcercial breaks...

I have watched the show off and on, based on reviews.
I'm home today with a sick kid, so I thought I'd try watching it online at nbc.com.

Guess what, every 8 min, there is a commercial break, that you cannot avoid.
On the bright side, its a single sponsor show online. 1 30sec spot each break.

As for the show itself, parts of the story I find interesting, making me want to keep watching (the same reason I actually pay to see superhero movies.) Other parts are only ok. I hope it has a decent payoff at some point.

Dalexs

The whole branch in the side of the head thing with the cheerleader sort of had me hoping she would stay down. :rolleyes: That is probably the worst example of a hero I have ever seen. She did total the rapist's car and kill him in the process though. [huh]
I need Hiro with me next time I decide to go gambling. :p

Regards,

J

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Otaku

I was kinda hoping that the internetgirl blonde was really hulking out when she blacks out & wakes up surrounded by dead foes. Oh well.

I was lookign at Hiro's blog. Its amusing how he's viewing everything in terms of all the nerdy pursuits. Its all Starwars, D&D, comicbook references. He realizes he's nto jsut r2-d2 on a quest, but that he's luke & must find a light sabre for an enemy encounter.
So it was really cool when he showed up in the subway w/ the katana.

I have friends in Japan. I find it amusing that the japanese term for their sci-fi fans is sort of a cross between Nerd & Expert.
http://www.planetshogo.com/otaku/ndefine.htm

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yeah..I saw that. Kinda disappointing, I was hoping she'd tunr inot some kinda beast or at least another color.
yes, the high heel on the skull was sinister.
I'm wondering if she will remain good or become evil like this mysterious 'Sylar'.

-bern

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I thought the last episode was quite funny. I liked the way the pajama guy shot up into the air and then zipped off with a little Gadzookey smoke ring, among other things.

It wasn't bad at all, though it lacked the stick-in-head, flayed-on-a-slab CSI-style shock (schlock) value of the previous two episodes. I'm liking it a little more each week. They seem to be settling into a fairly well orchestrated narrative rather than setting up endless, pointless obstacles and playing at procrastination like 24 or Prison Break - which both seem to be made up as they go along.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Hiro whiz kid

heroesmasioka.jpg

Funny, the other nite I was watching an AustinPowers sequel & spotted "Hiro" as the guy in a "Godzilla" joke.

Seems he was also an FX guy at ILM and an asian 'whiz kid' on Time Magazines cover 20 years ago.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/11/22/heroes-star-made-cover-of-time-magazine/

1101870831_400.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who saw Monday's episode?? I'm not sure I like Sylar's origin being so..I dunno..simplistic. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't THAT!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
super-nerdz

flat-top said:
Who saw Monday's episode?? I'm not sure I like Sylar's origin being so..I dunno..simplistic. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't THAT!

Didnt bother me. Its interesting that Sylar's power is that he's absorbing the powers of other 'Specials'. Is he eating brains? Interesting counter-point to Peter who temporarily mimics other 'Specials'.
Sylar & Hiro are the only specials who immediately embrace their emrging power, tho they are at opposite ends of the morality scale.
And Hiro, really tragic. Really interesting to watch his boyish enthusiasm fade into determined hero. Its really painful to see th dark blood drip down Charlie's face.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Anyone notice Sylar's real name? He's Gabriel Gray of Gray & Sons.
Sounds like his name is a homage to the old comix using double initial characters. PeterParker, LoisLane, LexLuthor......

And Peter Petrelli.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy