Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero A2 Jacket - keep or return?

Initially when I saw the photos earlier today, I thought I personally would want the jacket to be one size smaller but now I say it's good! It's still too new and holding its shape and potentially, even a fully tailored jacket wouldn't look all that much better straight out of the box. Takes time for the jacket to show its true face but I think this is a good one and once you break it in, it's gonna be extremely cool! I'd keep it!
Always better to have slightly longer sleeves and some room for wearing stuff underneath during winter. Which is not at all a nice way of me saying the jacket's too big or baggy or something. 'cause it's not. It's just not skintight.

Edward

Bartender
I must say, for a medium weight HH, it's far stiffer and more substantial than I had expected. I'd compare the thickness to a regular cowhide sofa or motorcycle jacket - but of course, this stuff has stacks more character. I've always drooled over the idea of a heavy FQHH jacket - assuming that anything less would be limp, fragile and not manly enough. This leather has completely re-educated me and it would be absolutely nuts to have a jacket with such small dimensions in anything heavier.

Good observation. Leather can have that effect. Even FQHH can feel very soft in a new sheet - once made up into a new, unbroken jacket, it's a very different story! Size will definitely affect this (compare the difference between the size of, say, an arm panel and a full hide). Something similar to the old trick with trying to flatten the sleeve of a matchbox set on its end.

Now I know that an off-the-peg Aero designed for 12 year olds is a reasonable fit, I'll be looking out for a B3 for the winter!

Definitely.

Good point on using the size to an advantage, Edward. You remind me that I was thinking about your jacket, Matt, on the dog walk around 5AM this morning and it struck me that I ought to mention my personal opinion on to not put any USAAF patches (vintage or repro) on the jacket as they are all of a standard size which will look far too big on that jacket.
If you ever do decide to go for a made-for-measure jacket one day (and then you can send Aero this jacket as a reference pattern for how you'd like things altered slightly, so you're guaranteed of a perfect fit next time!) then you'd have this jacket as a knockabout jacket and maybe you'd be tempted to make it look different and give it a different look from the other A2 and put patches or an AAF decal (or jacket art) on it as many A2's look great with them - and in that case I'd recommend that you only get custom painted insignia (either on leather to make the patch or painted directly on the jacket) that is scaled down to be in-scale to suit the jacket. From where I'm sitting, the jacket looks like any regularly sized and cool A2 - but properly-sized patches will instantly emphasize that it isn't and will take the "cool" from it, so I'd go with either custom patches - or - leave it be (and it looks very fine as-is). Less definitely would be more in this case, if ever you feel that itch to go for patches.
Just didn't want you making any mistake to it as it's a good thing on you.

Does make me wonder what the average patch was like in the war-era, bearing in mind how small most of those guys were compared to what is normal now. (and how young.... I think the average age of an A2 repro wearer must be at least twenty years up on the originals!)

We can't have jacket threads without discussing watches too at some point. I advise the OP to expand his new jacket hobby to include antique pocket watches as well. :D

The Lounge badly needs a "Correct pocket watch with Aero Shackleton?" thread.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I must say, for a medium weight HH, it's far stiffer and more substantial than I had expected. I'd compare the thickness to a regular cowhide sofa or motorcycle jacket - but of course, this stuff has stacks more character. I've always drooled over the idea of a heavy FQHH jacket - assuming that anything less would be limp, fragile and not manly enough. This leather has completely re-educated me and it would be absolutely nuts to have a jacket with such small dimensions in anything heavier.

That leather is still very thick - 2.5oz - and more than enough for any jacket. I am six two and 185 pounds and i always avoid the thicker stuff, partly because I don't like the feel of it and partly because it is too hot here. A2's from the day were made of fairy thin horse or goat. Certainly not 3oz FQHH.

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
I think it mostly looks very good. Have you thought of contacting Aero and enquiring if they'd adjust it for you in the future (or say if you later wanted a G1/ M422a)? Where do you live? I'm currently using Byson /leather to repair a Jacket. It's been a slow process, but I'm yet to hear a bad thing about them and they certainly know what they're doing- long phone conversations where we discuss potential changes and its clear they probably all know as much about American Flight Jackets as many of us do, particularly in regards to the construction.

It's a little baggy by my tastes, but why not discuss this with Aero and see what they say? Any good Jacket maker, as with any good tailor likes to have something interesting to work on. Otherwise the combo looks great overall.

willyto

One Too Many
This is just a guesss but I feel like the kids jackets might be produced a bit baggy due to kids growing fast. You don't want your kids to outgrow the leather jacket too fast so the extra espace comes in handy. Maybe I'm just guessing wrong though.

I would ask Aero about the possibility of making you a less blousy jacket.

Last August at the sale there was this scottish guy who was real tiny, maybe Sloan knows him. I remember he brought back an old jacket (I believe a discontinued model) and got a new one. Those jackets end up for sale sometimes and a small size is always cheaper. Keep your eye out for them. In the evend that you want to go vintage in the future, the super small sizes go for a lot less than regular sizes...just so you know!

MattJacket

New in Town
It is a super jacket and I'm glad to finally own one,. Even though it's a rather blousy fit, it's the closest I'm going to get without spending lots of money and I may fill out a bit one day!

Aero actually saw the pics on this thread and said it was a good fit. I don't think I'll get it adjusted but will certainly carry on looking for more extra small jackets as they must exist.

Cheers,

Matt

SPLINTER

New in Town
Hi Matt
if you'd like an honest opinion i think the jacket looks cool on you ---- you've got to remember aircrew took what they were given if it was a close enough fit . I dont think they stood in front of the mirror thinking i'll have it took in here and maybe shortened a bit here. It was designed for a purpose and not a fashion statement. As others have said wear the s--t out of it and it'll look ace in a year or so --- and if you should decide to sew a patch on it theres a seller on ebay who goes by the name tick tick tick tick boom who will make a patch any size you wish and it wont cost you the earth either.
regards
Richie

L3r0ul3ur

New in Town
Hi all,

I've been searching for a decent leather jacket for most of my adult life - I'm almost 38!

Not a big problem for 99% of men but I'm the size of a child so a massive problem for me. After wasting several hundred pounds on various secondhand and low end jackets, I took a chance and ordered a new kid's Aero A2 in seal jerky horsehide.

It's just arrived so forgive me for throwing it over a dodgy t shirt and my school trousers for the obligatory photographs.

I know it doesn't fit me as it should with it's tunnelled sleeves, baggy back and the neck clasp thingy that doesn't do up.

This jacket would cost around £550 in an adult size but it's only £190 in this diminutive version. I certainly can't afford a made to measure jacket so I guess the questions are given my situation, am I going to get any better? Is the fit passable or is it another non starter?

Honest answers welcome but please be kind!

Cheers,

Matt
Time for the 5 year review?
Bet it's looking good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy