Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero, but Wrong Sleeve Length - Options?

wdw

One Too Many
I got my Stockman about 3 weeks ago and loved it right away. However, I noticed that there seemed to be more air around my hands than on my HWM and Teamster, but didn't think to check the sleeve length as I compromised my posture and it seemed bearable. Tonight I've finally checked the sleeve length and it's actually about 24", rather than the 25.5" I asked for.

Anyway, I've now researched pretty much every article on the lounge about this and despite one lone theory about stretching sleeves using water, the general consensus seems to be - "you're stuffed!"

I've emailed Aero but won't get a response until Monday, but would be interested to know what others have done in this case. Can you simply replace the sleeves, or is a complete rebuild necessary?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Be glad that you don't have to return the jacket to Aero from across the Pond. I would let Aero fix the problem if I were you.

majormajor

One Too Many
If there is any city in the world to be in with a short sleeved Aero, I guess Edinburgh is the favourite.

It takes me three and a half hours to get there.

Can I suggest you get into your car and make the 50 minute drive??

I'm sure Ken & Holly can find a solution for you;):D

wdw

One Too Many
I'll definitely be letting Aero fix it, but I was just curious what would be involved. I hate the thought of another 3 months wait and/or a hefty fee because I've worn it and it can't be sold as new. majormajor, I'll drive down yet again, and at least now know where to check for speed cameras after getting fined coming home from my visit last month.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Heck, yes! I'd just jump in the car and make a run to Galashiels!

I've ridden the bus down there a couple of times from Edinburgh. Great way to pass a rainy afternoon. And the best part is, you're at Aero Leather when you get off the bus! That's a trip I hope to make at least one more time...

tonypaj

Practically Family
Just talk to them at Aero. They are the most reasonable people I've come across. The folks here, well :) If I happened to live that close by, I'd be talking face to face with them in a jiffy... Listen to majormajor here...

53Effie

A-List Customer
I would be very surprised if there was a long delay with repairs. I bought a new jacket from them earlier this year. It arrived with one of the sleeve snaps missing. I sent it right back and it was repaired and returned within two weeks. Pretty good service I think. Of course your issue is a little more difficult than mine, but still it seems that they process such items as quickly as possible. It is good that you are closeby as well.

wdw

One Too Many
This is one drive I can't be bothered making, especially after my requirements were so clear on the order, but hey ho...

Like Fanch says, at least it's easy for me to do it. It's actually cheaper to drive than to post it.

Aero is a great company.
Return it.
You won't be able to "stretch" the sleeves to a longer length and over time they will shorten even more. You will end up never wearing it...or wearing it and having the sleeves drive you nuts.
Get it done right. Have Aero either replace the sleeves or make you a new jacket...as they did for me some time back when an A2 I ordered came out wonky.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Take it back and insist on a new jacket. No repair for a brand new jacket please. Let them sell it though their sales page. It was their mistake so a mod or repair is a no-go. The wait shouldn't be long because usually cases like that are shifted to the front of the queue.

wdw

One Too Many
I wish I'd been more sensible and checked the sleeve length properly when I got it, but after 3 months waiting I just wanted to convince myself it was ok. There seem to be quite a lot of people on this site with the same concerns over the years, but I realise now that if you have any doubts at all, then it's just not right for you and the reality is you probably won't wear it.

I was wearing my Teamster today with the 2" longer sleeves and it just felt so much better. It's a real shame as I'm sure the Stockman would have become my favourite if only the sleeves had been right.

Cole

One of the Regulars
Jan ist right. When I got my first A2 38-1711 P from Aero it took me almost 3 to 4 weeks to admit to myself, that something must have gone wrong and the jacket, as much as I liked it, was not how it should have been. Only then did I meassure it and found out, that the pit to pit meassurement was way to big.

After a few emails with Aero I did send it back and they made a new one for me, which arrived 4 weeks later. Mistakes like this do happen, but I experienced Aero as a company who corrects these mistakes without drama and with great service and good communication.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
WDR, I saw earlier pictures of your Stockman and your Teamster jackets, and the sleeves looked fine on both, although the sleeves on the Teamster were obviously longer than the sleeves on the Stockman. I have seen sleeves on other members' jackets on this forum obviously way too short, much more so than your Stockman. However, I understand where you are coming from since nothing feels more out of sync to me than sleeves that feel too short. In fact my sweet spot for jacket sizing in general is within a very tight parameter of fit for body sizing and length, particularly sleeve length. I feel certain that your problem will be completely resolved very shortly. BTW I thought both of your jackets looked great, and especially like your Teamster!

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks for the words of hope and encouragement guys. We'll see what Aero say on Monday, and let's hope it's a rebuild. If mine goes back on the sale page, it'll be a great buy for someone.

Fanch, thanks for the kind words about the Teamster. I was out again tonight at 5 degrees wearing black leather gloves and the Teamster looked and felt great with them. Although those sleeves are probably 0.5-1" longer than the ideal, there's still plenty of scope to wrinkle and ride up, so I'm happy with them. It was Will who measured me for that, saying that the double leather cuffs should be longer than the single ones on the likes of the HWM and Stockman. I didn't know why, but the double cuffs definitely wrinkle up more, so that was a good call.

Also, Fanch, I seem to remember you having your own doubts about the sleeve length of a HWM, which I think you changed. I'm sure you'll be much happier now with the correct length. As far as my Stockman goes, the sleeve lengths look possibly ok from the right angle and if I don't raise my arms, but that's without the wrinkling and shortening which will inevitably come. I'm really surprised that the actual length was so far off the order, but these things do seem to happen. I do feel the pain of you guys overseas who have to return a long-awaited jacket, though.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
WDW, the biggest problem with any return from the US to Scotland is the almost prohibitive cost in shipping. So, the solution to your issue will very quickly go away!

wdw

One Too Many
Hot off the press guys - I've just received an email from Ken Calder himself and he's very kindly offered a complete and speedy rebuild. I'll take it back down on Friday and make sure there's no doubts at all about the measurements, based on the Stockman and the HWM which has the correct sleeve length.

Naturally I'm delighted with this outcome and it's yet another example of the outstanding level of customer service I and countless others have received from Aero. :eusa_clap

Cole

One of the Regulars
Hot off the press guys - I've just received an email from Ken Calder himself and he's very kindly offered a complete and speedy rebuild. I'll take it back down on Friday and make sure there's no doubts at all about the measurements, based on the Stockman and the HWM which has the correct sleeve length.

Naturally I'm delighted with this outcome and it's yet another example of the outstanding level of customer service I and countless others have received from Aero. :eusa_clap

That's good news. :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Well wdw, I said "the solution to your issue will very quickly go away" but didn't think that it would be that quickly. Nice resolution from a class act: Aero Leathers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran