Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Very nice nick, really beautiful hide. The Highwayman is an all-time classic and a perfect choice for a first Aero. Enjoy the break in period and that wonderful smell!

Thank you Cooperson. Believe it or not, I don't love the smell!
But I'm one of those weird guys who despises the "new car" smell.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Yes, I'm glad I went with the 38 instead of the 36. Originally a 36 was recommended to me and I will say to trust Insurrections sizing advice...as a size 36 (I usually take a size 40 in other jackets) would have no doubt looked perfect with no extra leather flying around...
However, I kind of went with my gut on this one, as I am not opposed to jackets looking a little big, and I don't know if my metabolism will be so speedy forever. Looking at my family genes, it probably will, but I wanted a jacket that would stick with me for a long time. But being rail-thin isn't all fun...generally we are very high-strung individuals.
Back to the numerical sizes, Carrie checked up with Holly and Ken for some more measurements but what ultimately kind of reassured me was going to all of the FL classifieds of Highwaymans and checking up on listed measurements by members.
The Highwaymans measurements are all over the board. The pit-piit measurements vary so much that it makes 100% sense that numerical sizes are not to be trusted. Some list a size 36 as having 18.5" shoulders, others 17.5". I know 17.5" shoulders are too tight for me from experience so to avoid that I just said:
"OK, go with a 38. If its a bit large it will be all the better. Most 38s level out at about 19" at the largest so I should be in the clear there".
I know shoulder measurements aren't the best measurement to go by but they seemed to be the most consistent, if that makes sense.
And of course, most of these variances (other than construction) are due to either:
A) The customer specifies a looser or tighter fit
B) The measurements are derived differently.
Point B brings me to this point:
Now there might be some confusion for the Highwaymans pit-pit measurements in regards to the side-panel seams. I think that some people measure the vertical seams while some just measure the traditional "end-end" of the pits. Not sure if I'm on to something here but I don't think everyone is on the same page with that one.. It's kind of a tricky jacket to measure IMO.
Also, I measured out the jacket and the actual back length is actually 26", but if you count the front dip, it is the 27" that I specified. Future customers might want to take this into consideration by finding out if a jacket (any manufacturer) counts the "front dip" as the back length. Fortunately, I feel the length is great. I wouldn't want it any shorter in the front and if anything, the back is a bit long.
And for the good 'ole sleeves...well, they weren't a problem this time fortunately. They definitely drape and feel longer than knitted jackets of the same length.

So all-in-all. I kind of took a gamble on the chest size but it was a relatively calculated gamble with help from Carrie and Wade. Nice people who were generous from the start. Not making that up either. Every jacket company I've dealt with thus far have convinced me that these leather guys have not lost the principle of customer service.
I originally had an order for a black jacket with the bright red cotton drill, but cancelled that. The most stressful part of the whole ordering process was actually choosing which color hardware to get.
For anyone else who had shared this concern, here's your answer: don't worry, the "ball and chain" puller doesn't make noise when you walk!

A lot of people just don't know how to measure. If you want the chest measurement then just taking that of the front panels won't help much. The jacket has to be flattened, including the side gussets and the total pit to pit measured. Nice jacket BTW.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Perfect fit. Never been a fan of these but I've been warming to them. When they are not worn too short, they look pretty good. Like yours.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A lot of people just don't know how to measure. If you want the chest measurement then just taking that of the front panels won't help much. The jacket has to be flattened, including the side gussets and the total pit to pit measured. Nice jacket BTW.

It's not easy to measure out of the box either!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Perfect fit. Never been a fan of these but I've been warming to them. When they are not worn too short, they look pretty good. Like yours.

Thank you Seb. Soon you will be "warm enough" to change your mind.
I still feel its a little short with a t-shirt hanging out, but getting a jacket with the hopes of covering a t-shirt is overkill. The jacket looks much better with shirts tucked in. I hardly ever tuck, but when you're 23 living in California no one my age does.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Man but i do like there brown FQHH,wear it like you hate it.Very sharp looking out of the box btw.

Yes it's a great color. The pictures do make it appear a bit darker than it is however. I will baby it for a bit until the initial excitement tones down.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab

I agree. The "boxy" fit hasn't really bothered me, but they are usually too short in my eyes. I like a half belt to be short, but think a Highwayman needs a little more length.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Seb. Soon you will be "warm enough" to change your mind.
I still feel its a little short with a t-shirt hanging out, but getting a jacket with the hopes of covering a t-shirt is overkill. The jacket looks much better with shirts tucked in. I hardly ever tuck, but when you're 23 living in California no one my age does.

Hell, I'm more than twice your age - I haven't tucked a shirt in since before you were born. Tucked in looks pretty awful to me and many people my age.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick,
That's a perfect jacket and fit! Enjoy it!

Brian

I appreciate it Brian. Have to go, there's a crashed saucer in a field!

Joke revision: all of this time I thought your name was saucer"field".
The "fiend" is better. Not sure if it is a UFO reference, but if it is, good job.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Its also gonna fit so much better after some wear since it will mold to you.

Both arms and the body will actually also mold, if the body is a bit long it will scrunch up some in the bottom and end up "shorter" after some years wear :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Its also gonna fit so much better after some wear since it will mold to you.

Both arms and the body will actually also mold, if the body is a bit long it will scrunch up some in the bottom and end up "shorter" after some years wear :)

Griff, your "front yoke" Highwayman looks great. I thought long and hard about doing that.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I advice against jumping and sitting and rolling the jacket since IMHO the coolest broken in stuff is the ones that gets the wearpoints only from natural wear or atleast wear in the same areas that it will from natural circumstanses. Like wetting the arms and moving them up and down many times will give the same creases as long natural wear.

I sometimes wear the jacket and lay on my back in the sofa watching movies a coupple of evenings just to get the initial bubbly-look away and I dont think it makes any unnatural creases, it just flattens it out some.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Not to worry. I don't plan on doing any non-natural breaking in. The stiffness doesn't bug me! Right now I have the jacket lying on a chair. Reason being: we just cleaned our carpets. In a few days it will be in its proper house: flat on the floor.

Jeepers fellas. I bet many a vintage jacket was slept on, slept in and worn to change the oil in the truck. I've sat on, slept in, and thrown mine around wet and dry. It takes quite a bit of work to make it look bad. In fact, I've never seen such a thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran