Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Long Half-Belt

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket Sloan .... look forward to pics in the daylight as the colour of the hide looks great. It also looks very supple for FQHH .. is it vintage ?

What was Aero's delivery tme from order/spec. date ???

Daylight is in short supply up here today, probably the same with you, but I'm going to try and get some later. It's just straight-ahead brown FQHH, Plumb. I ordered it end of August, and I got it Thursday.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Nice work ;) Looks great!

Cheers, Seawolf, things already become an extension of myself. It was your LHB that made me want one, so I doff my cap to you - I'm kind of glad I didn't get the slim fit, as this lets me layer jumpers underneath it. How's yours developing, or has it become caught up in the horse/steer vortex?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, I have spent all weekend admiring your new LHB. I very soon have definitive plans for a Teamster, which is similar to what you have. What can you tell me about the tartan lining that you selected. How does it feel. How substantial? What type of sleeve lining?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, I have spent all weekend admiring your new LHB. I very soon have definitive plans for a Teamster, which is similar to what you have. What can you tell me about the tartan lining that you selected. How does it feel. How substantial? What type of sleeve lining?

Hi Fanch,

Glad you like it! I went for the Grant Weathered tartan at Reiver weight. This is the lightest of the Locharron weights. It's a pinky-red with green and blue shot through it, and really tones beautifully with the brown HH. It's not super-thick, but certainly more substantial than the cotton and it allows you to layer a jumper underneath. I was stuck out on the west coast today with a biting gale and squalling showers, and hardly felt a thing - I recommend you get Aero's mole skin for your hand warmer pockets, it does what it says on the tin.
I was actually going to go for my own family tartan, which is Lamont, but during the weird messed-up phase when Amanda was still in the office, she insisted I couldn't have it and that we were now limited to a number of tartans. As it is, you can have weathered Grant in Reiver as a £25 extra, or you could go it in the heavier Strome weight, but that's an extra £50 - you've probably noticed on the website that inside pockets and linings come at a price.
I have to say that I'm completely delighted with the jacket - Ken's obviously reinforced quality control at Aero, and the matching, stitching and cutting were all spot on, thought I don't have to tell you this. Like you, I'm already planning my next one - there's an Irvin out there with my name on it. Or perhaps a half-belt...
Best wishes
Craig

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Fanch,

Glad you like it! I went for the Grant Weathered tartan at Reiver weight. This is the lightest of the Locharron weights. It's a pinky-red with green and blue shot through it, and really tones beautifully with the brown HH. It's not super-thick, but certainly more substantial than the cotton and it allows you to layer a jumper underneath. I was stuck out on the west coast today with a biting gale and squalling showers, and hardly felt a thing - I recommend you get Aero's mole skin for your hand warmer pockets, it does what it says on the tin.
I was actually going to go for my own family tartan, which is Lamont, but during the weird messed-up phase when Amanda was still in the office, she insisted I couldn't have it and that we were now limited to a number of tartans. As it is, you can have weathered Grant in Reiver as a £25 extra, or you could go it in the heavier Strome weight, but that's an extra £50 - you've probably noticed on the website that inside pockets and linings come at a price.
I have to say that I'm completely delighted with the jacket - Ken's obviously reinforced quality control at Aero, and the matching, stitching and cutting were all spot on, thought I don't have to tell you this. Like you, I'm already planning my next one - there's an Irvin out there with my name on it. Or perhaps a half-belt...
Best wishes
Craig

Thanks, Craig. Do you think there would be a significant difference in durability between the Reiver vs. the heavier Strome weight? Since I live in Texas, maybe the Strome weight might be too warm. I can step outside right now in shirt sleeves,:) although a cold front is expected to come through here on Christmas day.:cool: I really do like your new LHB and suspect that you are still grinning from ear to ear.:D Have a great Christmas week and enjoy your new jacket. Thanks so much for the helpful information. If you ever make it this way, I'm buying!:beer:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I'm a little bit mixed up, Braeriach is the mid-weight, Strome is like a picnic blanket weight. I think the mid-weight would be probably more durable, something closer to a kilt weight, I think, but the Reiver feels good, worsted and warm enough even for a Scottish winter! Given your southerly location - and it's not out of the question that I'll make it down your way, I love that part of America - I would recommend the Reiver. I forgot about the sleeves! It's just their standard cotton drill, which is a little 'grabby' on the sleeves, but the work 'as a part' of the warm feel.
You're absolutely right about the grinning. I pulled it on to go out to a story yesterday and it did feel like pulling a suit of armour. Very comforting, and it just looks great.
Craig

You are absolutely right about me grinning ear-to-ear,

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Cheers, Seawolf, things already become an extension of myself. It was your LHB that made me want one, so I doff my cap to you - I'm kind of glad I didn't get the slim fit, as this lets me layer jumpers underneath it. How's yours developing, or has it become caught up in the horse/steer vortex?

It has been caught up in the horse/steer vortex but Aero is handling it EXTREMELY well. One thing they've always been great about is taking care of their customers. I'm actually getting a replacement made, and not getting the slim fit either. I too would like room for a jumper :)

It's too bad too, because my jacket is just fantastic, if it weren't for being under scrutiny, but I think my new one will be even better :)

Enjoy yours! I can't wait to see how it develops.

wild_balls

Practically Family
Great jacket, nice fit! We have the eternal darkness here in Sweden also! Would be nice to see some daylight shots. My lhb was a little darker than expected!

Merry christmas from Sweden!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Okay, here's some daylight shots. Afraid that my attempts to get a decent shots of actually wearing it have proved fruitless , the light's just rubbish up here. However, I've got a few colour-accurate shots of the jacket next to the window. It's coming along nicely, have been doing a lot of driving over the past week, giving it a good workout, but it's already incredibly easy to wear.

2012-12-27112904_zps7c19c538.jpg

2012-12-27112840_zpse6ccf342.jpg

2012-12-27112817_zpsc470692e.jpg

2012-12-27112744_zps19bbd537.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, those are great pictures, and a dynamite lining. The Weathered Grant lining is growing on me for matching with brown leather. You must have taken the pictures during the 1-2 hours of sunlight in Scotland this time of year.:rain::smow: How would you compare the thickness of the tartan with the sleeve lining as a point of reference?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fanch, and oh for even that amount of sun light, Fanch. I would say that there was very little in terms of thickness between the cotton drill and the tartan. though the latter is, I think, worsted, which gives it a sheer feeling compared to the denser cotton. Weight of the jacket and an unexpectedly early summer notwithstanding, I think this will easily carry me through to May, then I'll pull it on in again come September(ish).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
According to charts, our March and November temperatures in Dallas, Texas are similar to your July and August months in Glasgow, Scotland, although we get only a fraction of rainfall compared to you guys. In any case, you get a great deal more bang for your bucks for jackets where you live than where I do. And FQHH is more or less waterproof as well. Can see why FQHH jackets are made in Scotland and not Texas!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
According to charts, our March and November temperatures in Dallas, Texas are similar to your July and August months in Glasgow, Scotland, although we get only a fraction of rainfall compared to you guys. In any case, you get a great deal more bang for your bucks for jackets where you live than where I do. And FQHH is more or less waterproof as well. Can see why FQHH jackets are made in Scotland and not Texas!

The funny thing is that when I wore it into the office, two other people said they owned Aero jackets from decades back - one of them has a HMW bought from Flip in the 80s, one of the original Aero outlets, and still wears it, the other has a Veste de Rallye, which he'd ripped when he caught a button on a chair. You're absolutely right on the temperature/wear front, though I'm minded that an Irvin might come in handy soon...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Don't think that an Irvin could be worn much at all here. Viewing the photos of your latest and greatest from Aero, it looks like it would be warm enough on even the coldest days in Dallas, and your LHB looks broken in already. When I wore my recently acquired HWM this week in sub-freezing snow walking into a 20-30 knot wind, I layered with only a 24 oz. Filson Mackinaw vest, and wore a hat with ear muffs and gloves. Only my face was cold and occurred to me at the time why you chaps in the cold, damp UK wear scarves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy