Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 'Pioneer'

Gawd that's beautiful.
As to sizing, I'm 48 chest now, 40 waist. If I pumped up, it would be worse. Must. Stress. This.
This jacket is just KOOL.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
So, anyone pulled the trigger yet? I've got an order in the system already but I'm sorely tempted to ask if they could swap it out for a Pioneer. I LOVE the back of that jacket.

pauleway

Practically Family
The Pioneer looks like a 30's Half-Belt, just with smaller panels of leather sewn together. I would rather have one large piece of leather like the 30's and 50's HB style than the smaller panels, unless you prefer the look of the design the leather panels give to the look of the jacket. JMHO!

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
My sample turned up yesterday and it's really nice stuff. Thick but still very soft and stretchy. The colour is a wonderful seal brown too a favourite colour so it's pretty much perfect! Not 100% sure of the pebbly grain looking at the sample but the finished jacket looks great so I'm not letting that put me off.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
DownloadedFile.jpg

Here's a pic of a greater Kudu (above). They're fairly large antelopes. I'm guessing Aero's hides come from the greater species of antelope (kudu) rather than the lesser.

Greater kudus have a narrow body with long legs, and their coats can range from brown/bluish-grey to reddish-brown. They possess between 4–12 vertical white stripes along their torso. The head tends to be darker in colour than the rest of the body, and exhibits a small white chevron which runs between the eyes.[2]
Male greater kudus tend to be much larger than the females, and vocalize much more, utilizing low grunts, clucks, humming, and gasping.[citation needed] The males also have large manes running along their throats, and large horns with two and a half twists, which, were they to be straightened, would reach an average length of 120 cm (47 in), with the record being 187.64 cm (73.87 in).[citation needed] They diverge slightly as they slant back from the head. The horns do not begin to grow until the male is between the age of 6–12 months, twisting once at around 2 years of age, and not reaching the full two and a half twists until they are 6 years old; occasionally they may even have 3 full turns.

Males weigh 190–270 kg (420–600 lb), with a maximum of 315 kg (690 lb), and stand about 180 cm (71 in) tall at the shoulder. The body length is 185–245 cm (6.07–8.04 ft). The tail is 30–55 cm (12–22 in) long. The ears of the greater kudu are large and round. Females weigh 120–210 kg (260–460 lb) and on average stand 120 cm (47 in) tall at the shoulder; they are hornless, without a beard or nose markings.

The lesser kudu (Ammelaphus imberbis formerly Tragelaphus imberbis) is a forest antelope found in East Africa. The Lesser Kudu at one time was thought to be a smaller version of the Greater Kudu, but now is considered to be a more primitive species.

Lesser kudu range between 90 to 110 cm (35 to 43 in) tall at the shoulder. Females weigh between 50 to 70 kg (110 to 150 lb) and the males between 60 to 90 kg (130 to 200 lb) maximum. Lesser kudu males are grey-brown while females are chestnut with a lighter coat on their underside. Both have about ten white stripes on their backs and two white tufts on the underside of their necks. Males have a small mane and horns of about 70 cm (28 in) with one twist.
Lesser kudu live in dry thorn bush and forest and eat mainly leaves. Lesser kudu are nocturnal and matinine crepuscular. They live in groups of two to five ranging up to twenty-four.

Lesser kudu can jump distances more than 9 m (30 ft) and 2.5 m (8.2 ft) high. They can also reach running speeds of around 100 km/h (62 mph). Unlike its cousin the greater kudu, which is one of the slowest antelopes, the lesser kudu is one of fastest.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
There are kudu everywhere in South Africa. Never thought I'd be wearing one.

SJ

Being a vegetarian I never would wear a hide that doesn’t come from an animal that died naturally or whose hide is some kind of "by-product" of the non-vegetarian food production.

As far as I don’t know if the kudu is hunted just for its hide I stay with Aero’s front quarter horse hide (which comes from horses died a naturally death) or cow / steer hide being a "by-product".

Kind regards,

Johannes

Being a vegetarian I never would wear a hide that doesn’t come from an animal that died naturally or whose hide is some kind of "by-product" of the non-vegetarian food production.As far as I don’t know if the kudu is hunted just for its hide I stay with Aero’s front quarter horse hide (which comes from horses died a naturally death) or cow / steer hide being a "by-product".Kind regards,Johannes
Sadly, you really have no way of knowing if the FQHH is from such animals. We have to trust to some extent what we're told about how animals are raised and used. Based on what lies we're told about most things we consume, I have some doubts this is really the case. But I do hope it's true...

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Sadly, you really have no way of knowing if the FQHH is from such animals. We have to trust to some extent what we're told about how animals are raised and used. Based on what lies we're told about most things we consume, I have some doubts this is really the case. But I do hope it's true...

Quote from Aero's homepage (and I do trust them!):

"US Government restrictions dictate that the slaughter of equine for hides was not permitted and as such the sourcing of hides must be from animals that have died from natural causes. This makes horsehide very scarce and as a consequence rare, which makes for an expensive raw material.

After expensive research, Aero managed to source the only tannery based in the States still capable of producing this unique hide to the original specifications, although today quality hides suitable for this type of tanning are still very scarce and so availability is very limited due to the fact that all our chrome tanned leather is sourced from "natural death" horses with no slaughter involved."

Quote from Aero's homepage (and I do trust them!):"US Government restrictions dictate that the slaughter of equine for hides was not permitted and as such the sourcing of hides must be from animals that have died from natural causes. This makes horsehide very scarce and as a consequence rare, which makes for an expensive raw material. After expensive research, Aero managed to source the only tannery based in the States still capable of producing this unique hide to the original specifications, although today quality hides suitable for this type of tanning are still very scarce and so availability is very limited due to the fact that all our chrome tanned leather is sourced from "natural death" horses with no slaughter involved."
Like I said, I know what we're told. In that case, what Aero are told. I have no reason to not believe it other than I don't believe most of what is told to me :)

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
The pioneer is the first "new" design from Aero that hits a homerun with me in a long time. I have seen and handled deer skins with similar properties, but know they are notoriously hard to come by. I am working on it to obtain some though.

John Lever

One Too Many
Wow...Way cool..! In one pic..that looks like an inverted pleat..as the back center seam. The hide is also something else. I remember it as an experimental hide that Aero was trying a few months ago. Some variations can look quite 'antiqued'..and more rustic than others. Now ..I too..must buy another damn Aero jacket...and they sure ain't getting any cheaper....
Aero have had Kudu for years. I have a sample Will sent me, it's very nice, soft but tough and waxy, it changes colour when creased.

John Lever

One Too Many
The pioneer is the first "new" design from Aero that hits a homerun with me in a long time. I have seen and handled deer skins with similar properties, but know they are notoriously hard to come by. I am working on it to obtain some though.
Will told me they are from wild animals hunted in southern Africa and often have scars and marks which gives the leather great character.

Edward

Bartender
I'd be very surprised if kudu is not eaten in Africa, though obviously that doesn't guarantee that the hides available to Aero are a by-product. Lungomare, I'm no vegetarian (I'm a very happy omnivore), but I do share your preference for hides that are a by-product of some other industry. Seems to me that if we're going to take from nature, we should take only what we need ("need" of course being a flexible concept in our consumerist, first world...) and make sure not to waste anything if we can avoid it.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I'd be very surprised if kudu is not eaten in Africa, though obviously that doesn't guarantee that the hides available to Aero are a by-product. Lungomare, I'm no vegetarian (I'm a very happy omnivore), but I do share your preference for hides that are a by-product of some other industry. Seems to me that if we're going to take from nature, we should take only what we need ("need" of course being a flexible concept in our consumerist, first world...) and make sure not to waste anything if we can avoid it.

Yes, this is what I think, too.

And I am aware that I don't "need" a second and a third leather jacket. And if I buy them, the second, the third, I want to get sure - at least to some extent - that no animal has to die just for my obsession in leather jackets ...

Regards,

Johannes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy