Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premium Slim Fit 1930's Half Belt

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ken emailed me a pic of the original working jacket their new design's based on. He said that they'd already made a copy of it for the owner.: it'll be part of the premium range, high arm holes etc, with no leather facings, lined in melton right to the front edge, melton lined cuffs, and a cord backed collar. The Aero version will probably be a bit more waisted than this one though, a la the Rockafella.

Himel's Canuck is modeled after a similar jacket.

HimelCanuck30_zpsf3b39fc0.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That that would catch your eye, sir! :D I like the Canuck, but I prefer my jackets with a bit of a waist, I'm just the wrong shape for straight-up-and-down patterns.

Edward

Bartender
The utility details are nice: no flaps on the pockets, I guess that reduces faffing around when you're trying to find something, and the reinforced openings. I suppose if you kept the leather above the yoke and stripped away the rest, you would have a donkey jacket.

There's a certain similarity to the outlines, though this is altogether a much classier affair. Could be, though, that in contrast to the donkey jacket I just don't remember this being worn as 'this'll do for work, anythng nice would get trashed anyhow' type wardrobe. ;)

That that would catch your eye, sir! :D I like the Canuck, but I prefer my jackets with a bit of a waist, I'm just the wrong shape for straight-up-and-down patterns.

You'll excuse me if I don't sympathise with your plight... ;)

Sigh. I had a 10-12" drop from chest to waist when I was in my early 20s, but that's long gone the way of the Dodo!

Cooperson

One Too Many
For me, as I've said ever since I got my original herc, any collar in FQHH or heavier may as well be half cord. And losing those hefty facings is another smart move. With FQHH I am a firm believer that less is definitely more

Whimp! :)

That work coat is nice but I wonder how those horizontal pockets will hold up. At that angle and with no flaps, any time spent with the hands those pockets will cause them to sag open big time. Just a thought.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There's a certain similarity to the outlines, though this is altogether a much classier affair. Could be, though, that in contrast to the donkey jacket I just don't remember this being worn as 'this'll do for work, anythng nice would get trashed anyhow' type wardrobe. ;)

Of course. Can't imagine a bin man throwing this on to head for a day on the dustcart. :D

That work coat is nice but I wonder how those horizontal pockets will hold up. At that angle and with no flaps, any time spent with the hands those pockets will cause them to sag open big time. Just a thought.

Given that the jacket above is some 90 years old and is holding up pretty well, I doubt that'll be a major problem for anyone on this board...

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
I've been looking for something about the new Aero 'work coat.' Et voila. I believe my search may be over...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks very similar to the Mulligan without the left breast pocket and without flaps on the lower horizontal pockets, although the Mulligan flaps are designed to be tucked inside without bunching up.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Here's Aero's remake of the as-yet-unnamed jacket. Made from tumbled Horse, heavy Melton body lining, drill sleeves, cord lined cuffs, cord back collar:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very cool looking jacket but would burn up wearing it in Texas with the heavy Melton body lining. :flame:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The new collar design is much better than the old shapeless collars. I would prefer a leather facing, though. IMO it would look better and eliminate the risk of rain being wicked inside.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero's is based on an original 20s jacket that they were asked to replicate for a customer - if you check a couple of pages back, it's there. Maybe Himel's is based on another similar jacket, but the final result, I would say, is overall a very different confection. [huh]

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I completely forgot this was previously addressed.

The Canuck is based on
a 1910 Shanhouse & Sons railroad workers jacket.

The two jackets have definite differences, but also undeniable similarities (as expected given the similar vintage/inspiration). Of course, the same can be said for most repro jackets. Therefore, there is nothing pejorative about noting such similarities.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No, but as you point you were repeating yourself. :) Also, I think beyond features such as the waist straps, melton lining, etc, they are quite different in terms of 'feel'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo