Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premium Slim Fit 1930's Half Belt

pipvh

Practically Family
The Canuck has a much simpler back construction, i.e. isn't a half-belt. This looks great but I wish they'd kept the length of the original. Does this, perhaps, look a bit too much like the Maxwell et al? Nevertheless I'm tempted. Vicenza hide and a different lining, perhaps...

Edward

Bartender
Funnily enough, I think it looks much classier in this brown incarnation; I think as much as anything it's the contrast liner makes all the difference. Looks like a mid-length jacket.... If Aero are turning to add to their longer jackets next, I'm really hoping to see a version of the Barnstormer that's just about ten inches longer, and cut with wearing over a suit in mind. I have a fantasy notion of a longer, rich chestnut coloured Barnstormer with a long-haired mouton collar, and a nice wool lining, to be worn in Winter when it's Irvin weather but I need to have a suit jacket on...

Cooperson

One Too Many
Had the camera out yesterday and thought some might like to see how my Premier 1930's half belt is looking after 7 months of wear.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks chaps. To be honest it hasn't seen a great deal of wear over the winter, as layering with this pattern isn't an option. - it's shirt or tee shirt only.

Edward

Bartender
Doing nicely. Batches may vary, but I've never seen a jacket made from the Horween FQHH that didn't age beautifully. Certain details in the cut aside, it reminds me of my 30s Halfbelt.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks again chaps. Have agree with Edward, Horweens heavy front quarter horse does age like no other hide. Not sure if it was this specific batch but the translucent shading on this jacket, after just 7 months of light wear, is a thing of beauty.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Cooperson, how do you find this one feels, over the long term, compared to the regular 30s hb pattern? I'm now actively considering one of these. I did try one on at the factory, but that was eighteen months ago and I was focussed on my Dustbowl... In particular, do you know what the chest/halfbelt/hem drop is? I'm wary of going too slim in the middle... I like to wear a jacket like this over just a shirt, or a shirt and waistcoat/tank top. Never a sweater....

Toyed with the idea of a Seabiscuit, but I think this might be the one for me...

Cooperson

One Too Many
Edward - after owning and wearing the jacket for some time now my feeling is that this is very trim pattern and probably best suited to a person with a slim frame. The back has none of the puffy look so often seen in other patterns and while this looks nice, it does means that reaching forward can feel quite restrictive - definitely not suitable motocycle riders. I'd say if want a trim stylish half belt to walk around in and will only wear a shirt or tee shirt, then this is the business. If you like a bit of room and comfort to move around in and want to wear your waistcoat I would say it might not be for you. I'll try and get those measurements for you, but I would definitly recommend trying a fit jacket before committing to an order.
Hope this helps

Edward

Bartender
Edward - after owning and wearing the jacket for some time now my feeling is that this is very trim pattern and probably best suited to a person with a slim frame. The back has none of the puffy look so often seen in other patterns and while this looks nice, it does means that reaching forward can feel quite restrictive - definitely not suitable motocycle riders. I'd say if want a trim stylish half belt to walk around in and will only wear a shirt or tee shirt, then this is the business. If you like a bit of room and comfort to move around in and want to wear your waistcoat I would say it might not be for you. I'll try and get those measurements for you, but I would definitly recommend trying a fit jacket before committing to an order.
Hope this helps

Thanks, that would be great. It's the detailing on this one I really like, else the standard woild be fine. I could also see if it's an option to order the Seabiscuit with a one-piece back and button cuffs... I think it's closer the norm. My middle is shrinking markedly, but there'll be a limit to that!

Cooperson

One Too Many
In particular, do you know what the chest/halfbelt/hem drop is? I'm wary of going too slim in the middle.

Edward - here you go
Size 40
Pit to pit: 21 1/4"
At half belt: 20 3/4"
At hem: 20 1/2"

One thing I forgot to mention, the buttons cuffs are snug. Yes, you can pass your hands through them but the sleeves on a long leave shirt will bunch up. You have to unbutton the jacket, feel for the shirt cuffs and pull them through. A small inconvenience but it might annoy some.

Cheers

Vinny A

New in Town
very useful info there Cooperson, thanks. I am thinking about ordering one of these myself and had not realised the fit was this slim. Not sure whether I ought to be considering sizing up or perhaps another model altogether, because the skin tight fitted look is certainly not for me. Thoughts anyone?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. Everybody says it is such a slim pattern but to me it seems they just downsized. Meaning they put a size 40 label on a normal 36 or 38 jacket. A slim pattern would mean a higher drop from chest to waist/hem but there is just 1.5" drop. That's not a slim pattern at all!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Maybe, but I'll wager the armholes feel higher and smaller if you don a jacket that is two sizes too small for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo