Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New custom Aero Sheene: Winning!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Reposting from the "how-many-new-jackets-do-you-have-coming-and-how-many-potential-ones" thread, with fit pics to follow immediately:

Incoming from the Aero sale page... I could not resist, I mean just look at it.

Ever look at the Sales page and think to yourself, "How nice of someone to design a full custom jacket to my exact measurments and preferred configuration and then leave it in the sale page at a nice discount?"

I'd been wanting a Sheene for a while, and if I had to customize one for myself, I think this would pretty much be it, and the measurements should be perfect for me. I cannot wait to try it on...

Modified Cafe Racer, Chromexcel Heavy Steerhide (Black), 44", S#3449

Modified Cafe Racer - featuring two zip handwarmer pockets, a Highwayman collar with hidden under-collar press studs (similar to an A-2), horizontal rear yoke and shoulder gussets. Also featuring two inside pockets (1 open and 1 zip).

Made from Black Chromexcel Heavy Steerhide with a Black Cotton Drill Lining and fitted with Brass Hardware.

Pit to Pit: 23.75"
Sleeve: 25.5"
Back: 25.75"
Shoulder: 19.75"

969597b0f8d204b0_Front-500.jpg

213597b0f997b4eb_Back-500.jpg

256597b0fa952ecd_Collar-800.jpg

48597b0fc15b19d_Zip-800.jpg

660597b0fc92c5e8_Pocket-800.jpg

76597b0fe1a9805_Sleeve-800.jpg

269597b0fd596c8a_Backdetail-800.jpg

354597b0febd49d8_Lining-800.jpg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Initial impressions:
  • Pretty much everything about this jacket is perfect. It's as awesome in person as it is in the sales photos.
  • It fits me like it was made for me. Like, literally, made for me.
  • This isn't a jacket for winter, as I won't be able to wear much more than a shirt under it. So being lined in cotton drill is just perfect.
  • CXL heavy steer feels very similar to Vanson's comp weight leather. In terms of weight, thickness, and stiffness, they are very similar. The leather is going to show some very nice grain in short order.
  • Omitting the outside chest pocket was a stroke of genius. The jacket has such a simple, understated look. If you're ordering a Sheene for yourself, I would strongly recommend considering omitting this pocket.
  • I like the way the sleeve cuff zippers end about an inch short of the sleeve cuff. That last inch is such a pain, almost impossible, to get properly zipped, and I bet leads to a lot of busted zipper pulls. This avoids the problem neatly, and it looks really cool.
  • I do see a bit of an impression from the inside pockets, but it doesn't bother me. It's not the pockets' bags, but the thickness of the leather edge around the opening. I believe Aero could substantially reduce the "printing" problem with their inside pockets design by simply using a thinner leather, or by not using leather for the opening at all.
  • The pockets are lined in moleskin, and are nice and roomy. Since I have somewhat large hands, and sometimes I find pockets to be slightly too small for my hands, this is a relief.

Update: I found a worksheet in one of the pockets that suggests that the jacket was made in July 2017, possibly by a machinist named Ruthy.

Last edited:
You couldn't have drawn that up any better with a micrometer. Well done. Beautiful jacket and a perfect fit. There's something about those simple, understated designs...really emphasizes the fit. You've done impossibly well for an "off the rack" jacket. Man and I'm over here waiting for a Brooks that's going to turn me into a blueberry....WTF haven't I learned yet?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
You couldn't have drawn that up any better with a micrometer. Well done. Beautiful jacket and a perfect fit. There's something about those simple, understated designs...really emphasizes the fit. You've done impossibly well for an "off the rack" jacket. Man and I'm over here waiting for a Brooks that's going to turn me into a blueberry....WTF haven't I learned yet?
Seriously, I'd love to meet the doppelganger who originally ordered this, thank them profusely, and shake their hand. They're clearly possessed of a taste that is beyond refined.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Really cool sleeve design. As you mentioned not only is that last inch a b*tch to get zipped but I can never seem to get it to stay zipped either. Don't recall seeing this design on any other jackets although I likely just missed it....

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
Really cool sleeve design. As you mentioned not only is that last inch a b*tch to get zipped but I can never seem to get it to stay zipped either. Don't recall seeing this design on any other jackets although I likely just missed it....

Sleeve zippers are always like that unless you have a Vanson or Belstaff. Something about how the webbing layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner