Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Diamond Dave Shinki Horsehide Buco J-100

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So many times I've been close to pulling the trigger on a Diamond Dave Buco J-100. I’m not really the type to count stitches, and I’ve always been enamored of Shinki horsehide. So when Dave lowered his prices on the horsehide, it was a no brainer. Dave was extremely patient, always personally answered the phone within a few rings, and he turned this jacket around in just 3 weeks from start to finish.

After going through a few months and a couple of rains on the jacket, I feel it’s just beginning to take on that beautiful patina…good enough for a couple of pics. The grain is starting to pop, and it’s developing some super nice creasing. Nothing like a good winter soaking to give a jacket character!

As for the fit…I feel Dave nailed it . I asked for a bit shorter body than typical of the Bucos… similar to the 1959 Buco J-100 pattern. And I asked for the grainiest “tea core” Shinki horsehide Dave had in stock. I know nickel hardware is more traditional, but these days I’m liking the look of brass against a black hide. (And since I have plenty of other café racers with nickel hardware, I wanted this jacket to be a little different.)
Perhaps the best testament to how much I’m liking Dave’s work is that it has quickly become my “go to” jacket- it’s amazingly comfortable and my first choice when running out the door. And it’s an ideal weight for our Bay Area climate.
Here are the pics.

wow- fantastic looking jacket and fit
that Shinki is extremely nice looking
and... you pull off the look

Ralph Chen

Familiar Face
Yup, looks great. Just be careful on getting the Shinki too wet. I know that two of us had some shrinkage with the Shinki HH.

@ButteMT61 yeah I saw this on clutch magazine. This is wat happen when you dipped 1/3 of the jacket (brand new ) into 40 degree water , avoid the sun and wind dry it. Wear for 3dAys, ,u can get crazy crease on ur sleeve.
image.jpeg

Desmond007

Familiar Face
That
So many times I've been close to pulling the trigger on a Diamond Dave Buco J-100. I’m not really the type to count stitches, and I’ve always been enamored of Shinki horsehide. So when Dave lowered his prices on the horsehide, it was a no brainer. Dave was extremely patient, always personally answered the phone within a few rings, and he turned this jacket around in just 3 weeks from start to finish.

After going through a few months and a couple of rains on the jacket, I feel it’s just beginning to take on that beautiful patina…good enough for a couple of pics. The grain is starting to pop, and it’s developing some super nice creasing. Nothing like a good winter soaking to give a jacket character!

As for the fit…I feel Dave nailed it . I asked for a bit shorter body than typical of the Bucos… similar to the 1959 Buco J-100 pattern. And I asked for the grainiest “tea core” Shinki horsehide Dave had in stock. I know nickel hardware is more traditional, but these days I’m liking the look of brass against a black hide. (And since I have plenty of other café racers with nickel hardware, I wanted this jacket to be a little different.)
Perhaps the best testament to how much I’m liking Dave’s work is that it has quickly become my “go to” jacket- it’s amazingly comfortable and my first choice when running out the door. And it’s an ideal weight for our Bay Area climate.
Here are the pics.

That is pretty close to being my dream jacket! Both style, color, grain, zippers. Man it's superb. How much did you have to pay for it, if you dont mind me asking?

technovox

One Too Many
That

That is pretty close to being my dream jacket! Both style, color, grain, zippers. Man it's superb. How much did you have to pay for it, if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks! It's very comfortable and easy to wear. Quite possibly the best fitting jacket I own.
I think Dave has the J-100s listed somewhere around $950 for the Shinki Horsehide version. The brass hardware is typically an upcharge. Check his website- you might find he has prices listed.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Thanks! It's very comfortable and easy to wear. Quite possibly the best fitting jacket I own.
I think Dave has the J-100s listed somewhere around $950 for the Shinki Horsehide version. The brass hardware is typically an upcharge. Check his website- you might find he has prices listed.

Yeah, about 950 is what i hear from others inhere, thx. Looking at your picture, I just know that i'll have
a perfect fitting jacket and the J-100 is my first (and probably not last) leather jacket.

I don't know if the zipper not going all the way down, would be an issue for me.
Maybe it's just a minor detail. When you zip the jacket, does the leather go straight down
or does the place without the zipper, kinnda bend outwards?

Pardon my bad english, but what is brass hardware? You mean the brown zippers?

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Yeah, about 950 is what i hear from others inhere, thx. Looking at your picture, I just know that i'll have
a perfect fitting jacket and the J-100 is my first (and probably not last) leather jacket.

I don't know if the zipper not going all the way down, would be an issue for me.
Maybe it's just a minor detail. When you zip the jacket, does the leather go straight down

And by the way, how heavy is it?

technovox

One Too Many

I rarely zip up the jacket, but when I do, I suppose it kind of bends outward a little. But it doesn't really seem like an issue. By "brass hardware" I mean the snap, the zipper pulls, the zippers are all brass.

lol Didn't think anyone would notice my absence! Cheers, Super. :D Now, if only Big J would say something as I'm getting a little worried here.

Techno, any chance of seeing higher res photos of the jacket? Would love to see some better pictures of this amazing looking leather.

technovox

One Too Many
lol Didn't think anyone would notice my absence! Cheers, Super. :D Now, if only Big J would say something as I'm getting a little worried here.

Techno, any chance of seeing higher res photos of the jacket? Would love to see some better pictures of this amazing looking leather.
Sure. I'm swamped with taking pics of jackets I'll be putting up on ebay, but when I get some time I'll try to snap off a couple of hi-res pics of the J-100 and post them up here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy