Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Gus Miller Custom "Bogart"

Boris K

One of the Regulars
Hi all, I'm relatively new here and wanted to show you my newest hat.

I ordered a custom fedora from Gus Miller of Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinnati. I wanted (of course ;) ) a "Sam Spade" fedora. Gus made it out of beaver felt "he can't get anymore." I supplied him with several photos from the Maltese Falcon for reference.

Here are a few pics taken on top of one of my 1940 drum tables:

Gus_4_sm.jpg

Left side view
gus_1_sm.jpg

Gus_3_sm.jpg

Front view
gus_3.jpg

Gus_2_sm.jpg

Gus_1_sm.jpg

Gus_5_sm.jpg

Lining view
gus_5_sm.jpg

Gus_6_sm.jpg

Gus's signature and date the hat was made
gus_6_sm.jpg

Gus is a great person to talk to and his work is excellent. A few minutes before I was there today, someone came in the store and told a story that he was at a wake for Luciano Pavarotti recently and told someone there he was from Cincinnati. The person exclaimed "Do you know Gus Miller?! He was Lucianno's friend and makes the best hats in the world!" Everyone there got a kick out of that :eusa_clap

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Congratulations

Boris,

Excellent hat - custom hats are always worth of the investment.
Wear it well!

Regards:

Tom

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Very nice! The profile is great. The front view is more tapered than the one in the film. It is hard to tell with the flash....but the color looks right. I would love to see it shot in daylight with other things in frame to get an idea of color reference. I don't care for the black sweatband though. Back in the day they were almost all brown. What does Gus charge for such a lid?

I agree that you must post a photo of it on your head. Well done!

Boris K

One of the Regulars
MK said:
Very nice! The profile is great. The front view is more tapered than the one in the film. It is hard to tell with the flash....but the color looks right. I would love to see it shot in daylight with other things in frame to get an idea of color reference. I don't care for the black sweatband though. Back in the day they were almost all brown. What does Gus charge for such a lid?

I agree that you must post a photo of it on your head. Well done!

MK, this is a hand-bash, so I can alter the taper by pulling the sides out a bit.

I'll try to get a daylight shot this week - snowing here now...

I used the BW pics from this site from the Maltese Falcon. Gus looked at it and thought the ribbon was black or possibly dark blue. Do you know for sure if the ribbon was brown?

Gus charges $200 for a custom fedora. Not bad, IMO!

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Yohanes said:
Great hat, but where's your pic wearing it? :)

I'll try to post a pic with the hat on my noggin soon. I'll wear my Hugo Boss "Corleone" suit with it!

Boris K

One of the Regulars

metropd said:
I want that hat!!!!! Please tell me what the name of that color is so I can order that HAT!!!!!!

Metropd, I don't know the name. We looked at various felt and hats in a medium gray. He indicated he can't get that felt anymore, but had some left.

I can try to find out, or you can call him and ask what color gray Mark's Humphrey Bogart hat is. :)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Boris K said:
I used the BW pics from this site from the Maltese Falcon. Gus looked at it and thought the ribbon was black or possibly dark blue. Do you know for sure if the ribbon was brown?

Gus charges $200 for a custom fedora. Not bad, IMO!

The ribbon was black. I was referring to the sweatband inside the hat.

Great price!

Boris K

One of the Regulars
Measurements

TimmyBoston said:
Great looking hat!

What's the crown height and brim measurements?

As currently bashed:

Crown
  • Front, 4 1/4"
  • Sides, 4 5/8"
  • Back,. 3 1/4"

Brim
  • 2 3/8"

Ribbon (finished length)
  • Black, 2"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members