Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Hat--but what is it? (Now with Pix)

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
I just bought this on eBay using "Buy it Now." http://cgi.ebay.com/MANs-7-1-2-TAN-and-GREY-FEDORA-FRANK-McLOUD-Reading-PA_W0QQitemZ180005602969QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14065QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I really like the looks of the hat, but can't tell much about it from the eBay listing. If anyone can tell me anything about it (likely vintage, maker, etc.) I would appreciate it. Based on the info in the eBay listing, I Googled and learned next to nothing, but I did find a listing in a 1939 Reading PA City Directory for "Frank and Robert B. McLoud, hatters, 134 N. 9th Street, Reading, PA." That's it, however. The hat has initials AEL punched into the sweatband--probably the hat's owner, right? Thanks for any info or thoughts you have.

Okay, here are the pictures--they show the true color; the eBay listing described the color correctly, but the eBay pix were more gray than the actual hat. All in all, I am very happy with the hat, particularly for $37. Once I finish cleaning and blocking it, my only minor gripe will be that the stitching on the brim is in a contrasting thread and is a little crudely done--no big deal. I was able to clean the hat with the Bickmore sponges--they did a good job removing the smudges, but I am going to work on it some more to get a more uniform finish to the nap. The lining is taped in under the sweatband--is that the common method?

th_side.jpg

th_3_4front.jpg

th_hatfrombottom.jpg

th_logo.jpg

th_crop6.jpg

th_crop4.jpg

Looks like you did good, Cruiser. And yes, those initials in perforations in the sweatband are almost undoubtedly those of the original owner.
It's hard to find a vintage hat (which it's probably safe to assume this one is) in a 7 1/2 for that kind of money. Let us know when it arrives, and post some pics, OK?

Razzman

One Too Many
Nice find!

It looks like a keeper to me! I like the looks of that hat. Looking forward to viewing the pics when you actually get it. :)

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Cruiser said:
I just bought this on eBay using "Buy it Now." I really like the looks of the hat, but can't tell much about it from the eBay listing. If anyone can tell me anything about it (likely vintage, maker, etc.) I would appreciate it. Based on the info in the eBay listing, I Googled and learned next to nothing, but I did find a listing in a 1939 Reading PA City Directory for "Frank and Robert B. McLoud, hatters, 134 N. 9th Street, Reading, PA." That's it, however. The hat has initials AEL punched into the sweatband--probably the hat's owner, right? Thanks for any info or thoughts you have.

I can't thank you enough for this post. As it turns out the very same seller had a black one in my size! Thanks again!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sweet Score

... how in H*ll did I miss that?:rage:
For that price I'da snapped it up in a heartbeat, you betcha... can't wait to see more photos... well done!:eusa_clap

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to find a good hat. That size in that price range is a really good buy.
The hat was likely produced by the company you found information on. It was likely custom made for the person initialed. Every town of any size had its own hatter in those days. There were hundreds of hatters around the country then who made hats, sold hats and serviced hats. It was a good time indeed.:eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Coming soon....

Yep, it came in, and seems to be a great hat in great shape. I haven't posted pictures yet because it is superficially dirty (for one thing, the seller packed the hat in a box with newspaper, and some of the newsprint rubbed off on it). I ordered two of the hat cleaning sponges, and I think it will clean up really nicely. The good news is, it appears to be in terrific shape, the felt is very nice, soft, and shapeable, and I like the way it looks on. I expect the sponges in the next day or two, and I will post before and after pix. The liner does specify McLoud as the maker. Wonder if Skillbilly got his yet?

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Cruiser said:
Wonder if Skillbilly got his yet?

Yes sir, mine arrived on Thursday and I love it. Been having issues photographing it as it's black on black and turns out either too dark or gray with a flash. It is in beautiful shape though. The brim is a little wider than I expected at just about 3". I'll post what pics I have this evening.

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Here are the photos, best I could do. The brim as I mentioned is just shy of 3" the crown is around 5 -6 inches. I say that as I'm not sure how to measure it correctly. The liner says Mc Cloud of Reading, Pa

pa1.jpg

pa2.jpg

pa3.jpg

pa4.jpg

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
I would call that a fine hat and a fabulous acquisition. Looks great on you. Nice touch with the flashbulb camera in the background, and is that Arts and Crafts-style woodwork behind you?

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Cruiser said:
I would call that a fine hat and a fabulous acquisition. Looks great on you. Nice touch with the flashbulb camera in the background, and is that Arts and Crafts-style woodwork behind you?

Thank you much! And yes, the house is a Craftsman bungalow. Easy on the eyes but hell in this heat wave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou