Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jacket Required

Paul_M

New in Town
Good Evening Gentlemen,
I am in need of a new jacket/coat ready for winter. I normally wear either an M65 Field Jacket or an SAS smock, but am searching for something more gentlemanly. Any suggestions ?
Thanks you
Paul

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Could you give a bit more info? If you're looking for a real dress coat, a nice over-coat always looks classic... just make sure it fits well. Now, if you want more of a work coat that still has plenty of style, many of the members here are particular to classic leather jacket makers: Schott, Aero, US Authentic... I personally have 2 Aeros, and I think they're great... but the long wait times, and the fact that it's a leather jacket, might not be your style.

A nice midpoint between work and dress that I have found is the classic double-breasted Peacoat. You can find them in every color under the sun these days, but I'm partial to the 32 oz. Navy wool classic... there are plenty of makers out there, and I'm sure someone else on this forum is more knowledgeable as to the benefits between different makers. I personally have worn my Schott Peacoat while hauling in lobster pots, at school, slept in it, beaten it up, and worn it with my dress clothes. It's a real classic, but not everyone's thing.

Anyhow, that's my spiel. Good luck in your search!

Paul_M

New in Town
Thanks gents for your replies. What am I looking for ? Basically I am looking for something that I can wear everywhere - mostly for simply popping down the shops, going to work on a cold morning etc. I have trench coats and leather jackets etc but wanted something that I wouldn't really mind wearing all the time, and it must go with my black fedora ! I do like the pea coat - similar to the donkey jacket in some ways.
Paul

Edward

Bartender
Try army surplus shops - they're often a great way of picking up a stylish overcoat in a mid 20th century style for very little. Buttons and such are easily changed if you want to give it a more "civilian" look.

mattfink

Practically Family
I'd go with the peacoat too...shoot for a WWII vintage one. You could get it cheap in the off season.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
If you're looking to match a black fedora, your options on color may be narrowed based on color matching... personally, I'd go with a nice charcoal-gray wool coat... possibly vintage. A peacoat would probably work, though I've never seen it done with a black fedora...

Best of luck!

fraazierjo

New in Town
Peacoats

Just read all the above posts. I have a genuine WWII Navy peacoat that was worn by my friend, James Leo Herlihy (the author of Midnight Cowboy!) during the war. He's gone now and left his stuff behind. I'm into leather flight jackets from that era, but don't really want this. It's in mint condition!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy